Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnysquirrel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
I am curious as to how iTunes Match is going to work. I have an iPad 2 and I originally set it up on a PC computer on the east coast. I have since relocated to California during which time I updated to iOS5 at the local Apple Store. Due to the update, I lost all of my music and now I have the following questions:

If I subscribe to Match for the $25 per year, will I be able to have my family activate it that on the PC computer located on the east coast?
On the east coast computer, iTunes is set up under the same Apple ID as my iPad.

Any info, suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated before I shell out $25 for something that may or may not work

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I am curious as to how iTunes Match is going to work. I have an iPad 2 and I originally set it up on a PC computer on the east coast. I have since relocated to California during which time I updated to iOS5 at the local Apple Store. Due to the update, I lost all of my music and now I have the following questions:

If I subscribe to Match for the $25 per year, will I be able to have my family activate it that on the PC computer located on the east coast?
On the east coast computer, iTunes is set up under the same Apple ID as my iPad.

Any info, suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated before I shell out $25 for something that may or may not work

They'll actually have to initiate the service from that computer, as you can't sign up on an iDevice. But, once its paid for and all the matching is done, you'll then be able to enable it on the iPad and all your music will populate, ready for you to download what you want to the device.

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
They'll actually have to initiate the service from that computer, as you can't sign up on an iDevice.
That's surprising considering how much they have touted that now, with iOS5, you don't need a computer.

I'm anxious to try iTunes Match. I have all my music uploaded in Amazon's Cloud Player and it works pretty good on the iPad but, there is no iPhone app and I'm sure iTunes Match will work even better on iDevices. Plus, years ago when I ripped all my CDs back then, I only ripped them at 160kbps MP3 so, I'm excited to get higher quality version of the ones already in the iTunes Store.

End of October is pretty soon, so unless Apple is going to miss the date, then we should hear something soon (I hope).

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
That's surprising considering how much they have touted that now, with iOS5, you don't need a computer.

I'm anxious to try iTunes Match. I have all my music uploaded in Amazon's Cloud Player and it works pretty good on the iPad but, there is no iPhone app and I'm sure iTunes Match will work even better on iDevices. Plus, years ago when I ripped all my CDs back then, I only ripped them at 160kbps MP3 so, I'm excited to get higher quality version of the ones already in the iTunes Store.

End of October is pretty soon, so unless Apple is going to miss the date, then we should hear something soon (I hope).

Well, consider this: how would you go about signing up on an iOS device? "So, I've paid my $24.99 and its time to look at the library to start matc.... oh, right, my device is empty because I just enabled Match, and also my iOS device isn't my primary library. So really, the limitation is there for a legitimate reason. Also, and this is totally my opinion and nothing more, but don't be anxious, be excited. I've been using the beta since it hit, and theres something amazing about being able to have that whole device empty to put TV and movies on, then when I want a song, I just tap it and within seconds its playing, downloaded to the device on demand.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008

and if you don't have a computer, you've purchased all your music on your iThing from iTunes, and don't need match.

brett.fish

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
does anyone know HOW it will match songs?

is it going on title, or is it actually going to compare audio footprints? ID3 tags? I'm just curious about which method it uses because I'm wondering how accurate it will be, and how much of my own music I'll have to upload.

And when does the dang thing come out? They said end of October and it's already the 28th and haven't heard anything...

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
And when does the dang thing come out? They said end of October and it's already the 28th and haven't heard anything...

No joke. That leaves today (Friday) or Halloween. C'mon, Apple. Dying with anticipation here. :)

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
No joke. That leaves today (Friday) or Halloween. C'mon, Apple. Dying with anticipation here. :)

It's still not back up for developers - either another iTunes beta is coming out or they are going to release the final version for everyone at once.

My guess is we will see something on Tuesday....

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
is it going on title, or is it actually going to compare audio footprints? ID3 tags? I'm just curious about which method it uses because I'm wondering how accurate it will be, and how much of my own music I'll have to upload.

That is a great question. When using it last week for the first time it went through the scanning stage and began the upload stage. I noticed it was uploading some songs that were available in the iTunes store. What criteria is it using to "match" the songs in my library. Out of my +/-2000 songs it uploaded +/-500. That is way too many as my collection is mostly mainstream stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.