Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DockMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
What is the rational behind calling Apple's TV product, AppleTV instead of iTV? Every other product starts with an i, iMac, iPhone, iPad, iPod. There must be a reason...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It was called the iTV when it was first previewed in late 2006. But when it was finally released to the public, its name was changed to Apple TV.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
What is the rational behind calling Apple's TV product, AppleTV instead of iTV? Every other product starts with an i, iMac, iPhone, iPad, iPod. There must be a reason...

They may be saving that for when they make an all in one TV.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
Didn't they get sued or at least get the threat of a lawsuit from some company in the U.K. called iTV? I thought I remembered that as one of the reasons why it was demoed as iTV but changed later on.

Could be my memory failing me too...

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
But I really wish it was called iTV. Really would streamline the product line very nicely.

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
Calling it iTV would just make me think of trashy reality shows and Simon Cowell... So glad it's called the AppleTV instead.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
The crappy network in the UK which thought Apple would 'damage' their brand. Despite the fact that their execs have been doing a great job of this themselves! It's just awful daytime tv, soaps and reality tv.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The crappy network in the UK which thought Apple would 'damage' their brand. Despite the fact that their execs have been doing a great job of this themselves! It's just awful daytime tv, soaps and reality tv.

Like most channels... 100s of channels on cable / satellite, full of *****!

AlexGyani

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
iTV was one of 3 channels on terrestial TV from 1955 to 1982 in the UK. More people in the UK are probably aware of iTV than Apple (these people are mainly old ladies). There is no way it would be called iTV.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
As I live in the UK, and therefore get ITV (even though I don't watch it much), and I use the EyeTV card to record TV on my Mac, I'm quite pleased that Apple didn't call it the iTV.

It gets confusing enough already. :)

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008

Yes, but ITV has also been in business for far longer than Apple, has a registered trademark that is tightly associated with the act of watching television, and has spent significant sums of money over the last half a century promoting its brand[1]. All things considered, ITV plc is perfectly within its rights to tell Apple to f-ck off.

Apple would rightly have a hissy if a record label decided to call itself Ipod Recordings.

[1] Technically ITV isn't and has never been one single company, but that's beside the point.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
I would bet that when Apple does release a flat panel tv that it does have an "i" name, just not itv. Think about it...

:apple:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Let us not forget that iPhone was a product and a trademark that belonged to Cisco before Apple decided to use it. So, the fact that someone else is using the name iTV doesn't mean that Apple won't use it.

That was just a product name (and an insignificant product at that) which Cisco sold to Apple.

ITV is the name of the company and they have been using that name since 1955. I very much doubt Cisco would give up their 'Cisco' name if Apple ever wanted to use that and I think it's just as unlikely that ITV plc will be giving up their name.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I know it's slightly different, but I grew up with LWT. ITV (well Granada) got rid of that without batting as much of an eyelid, so Apple offering them some money might sway them to just change their name or just license it

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Let us not forget that iPhone was a product and a trademark that belonged to Cisco before Apple decided to use it. So, the fact that someone else is using the name iTV doesn't mean that Apple won't use it.

If they do so without negotiating with the trademark owner then they risk an injunction against all sales throughout the process of what would likely be a very expensive court case. Abusing a trademark with the weight of ITV would end badly for Apple.

If you want to find out how that works try opening a chain of concession stands and calling them Pepsi.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
What about pEpsi?

If you have the time, money, and desire to further human knowledge, then feel free to try it and get back to us. An IgNoble surely awaits.

Should you also come to be immortalized as a statue somewhere, and if I happened to be in the area, it'd be my very honor to the scare a few of the pigeons away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.