PDA

View Full Version : How .mac has saved me money...

buffsldr
Oct 7, 2002, 10:54 PM
I hope I am putting this in the proper forum. .mac does fall under Mac Apps.... doesn't it?

Anyway... here is how I was able to save money with .mac

Before .mac...
I used a hosting company to host three web sites at $10 a month (each).

After .mac....
I pay $49 for 12 months of service (about 4 bucks a month)
I pay $15 a year to my registrar to forward the three sites to my .mac account (this is a great little service. if my website was www.xyz.com, the user types in www.xyz.com and the browser address shows www.xyz.com and displays the content of the .mac account. now that is cool.)

So I can pay $360 a year to host 3 sites without .mac, or I can pay $65 bucks a year (50+15) with .mac.

Thank you, apple

Hemingray
Oct 8, 2002, 01:16 AM
I thought web forwarding was $15 for each domain forwarded.

Does .Mac allow CGI? And what about traffic/bandwidth limit?

cb911
Oct 8, 2002, 02:36 AM
i thought it was cheaper to get proper web hosting. i'll have to look into .Mac again...

irmongoose
Oct 8, 2002, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by buffsldr

So I can pay $360 a year to host 3 sites without .mac, or I can pay $65 bucks a year (50+15) with .mac.

Also, even if the price rises after one year, it will still be $115.

:D

irmongoose

buffsldr
Oct 8, 2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Hemingray
I thought web forwarding was $15 for each domain forwarded.

Does .Mac allow CGI? And what about traffic/bandwidth limit?

My registrar charges $5 to forward a domain. I dont doubt that some companies might want to charge more.

As far as bandwidth and cgi, those are very good questions. I should clarify... I host these sites for friends and family and dont get paid for it. None of my sites use cgi. I will have to look into the bandwidth question.

CB911, regarding, "proper web hosting", I guess I don't know what that means.

Jager
Oct 24, 2002, 01:03 AM
www.northernswamp.com, we do have a free level, and for 10$ we would be willing to link a .com/.net/.org/.whatever to a free account.

DreaminDirector
Oct 24, 2002, 02:32 AM
Damn Jager. Can you be pushing that site anymore?

cb911
Oct 24, 2002, 02:53 AM
when i need it i guess i'll compare proper webhosting with this 'apple style' webhosting.:)

Nipsy
Oct 24, 2002, 03:53 AM
I had a domain in an iTools site forever. The domain must not use any server based methods (no ssi, php, jsp, etc).

The bandwidth won't matter if you're hosting a site about your cat, or for the local hardware store, but does not degrade gracefully if you have real traffic.

Furthermore, if you're a pro, you're prolly using root relative link structure, which fails under .Mac (dumb name) and iTools (R.I.P.).

I've been using .Mac (idiots in marketing must have named it) for backup, which recently broke, and e-mail, which is considerably less reliable than iTools, and am really hoping things improve with a quickness!

If you want to host something real (on the cheap), try www.ehostsource.com. It's a decent deal for less than .Mac (full price).

I am in no way affiliated with them!

Inhale420
Oct 24, 2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by buffsldr
I hope I am putting this in the proper forum. .mac does fall under Mac Apps.... doesn't it?

Anyway... here is how I was able to save money with .mac

Before .mac...
I used a hosting company to host three web sites at $10 a month (each).

After .mac....
I pay $49 for 12 months of service (about 4 bucks a month)
I pay $15 a year to my registrar to forward the three sites to my .mac account (this is a great little service. if my website was www.xyz.com, the user types in www.xyz.com and the browser address shows www.xyz.com and displays the content of the .mac account. now that is cool.)

Thank you, apple

dude, you could do the exact same thing with geocities or the webspace your isp gave you.