Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chemistry76

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
I'm having an issue with Siri understanding me when I say "Call my girlfriend." She always thinks I've said "Call Michael." or "Call Michael Friend." I have no "Michael Friend" in my contacts, and she always asks me "Ok, which Michael?"

I've gone up and edited her chat bubble and replaced "Michael" with "my girlfriend", as this is what I had read to do when Siri misunderstands you, but it doesn't seem to help.

I do have my girlfriend set up in relationships under my contact info; and Siri has gotten it right a few times - so I know it works. However, most of the time she misunderstands me when I say that phrase - even when I precisely say each word. Once when attempting to speak very clearly, she thought "Girl" was "Gary".

Many people have told me I don't have much of an accent, so I don't think that is it.

Does editing the chat bubble in Siri actually help her learn, or is there no way to teach her at the moment?

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/21/correcting-siri/

Meh... After re-reading this article, I realize it never said she learns from your edits.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm having an issue with Siri understanding me when I say "Call my girlfriend." She always thinks I've said "Call Michael." or "Call Michael Friend." I have no "Michael Friend" in my contacts, and she always asks me "Ok, which Michael?"

I've gone up and edited her chat bubble and replaced "Michael" with "my girlfriend", as this is what I had read to do when Siri misunderstands you, but it doesn't seem to help.

I do have my girlfriend set up in relationships under my contact info; and Siri has gotten it right a few times - so I know it works. However, most of the time she misunderstands me when I say that phrase - even when I precisely say each word. Once when attempting to speak very clearly, she thought "Girl" was "Gary".

Many people have told me I don't have much of an accent, so I don't think that is it.

Does editing the chat bubble in Siri actually help her learn, or is there no way to teach her at the moment?

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/21/correcting-siri/

Meh... After re-reading this article, I realize it never said she learns from your edits.

You know your girlfriends name right? Is it less than 3 syllables? Might be easier for all involved.

chemistry76

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
You know your girlfriends name right? Is it less than 3 syllables? Might be easier for all involved.

Actually I change a couple times a month, so it's better for all involved if I let Siri remember. ;)

This is just a prime, easily repeatable example - she messes up other words pretty often too. Chlorine came out Cloran, and "mill tower" came out something like "Molitarin".

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
maybe it's just the way you're saying it, i tend to mumble a bit when talking and have noticed this can trip Siri up, i've always been moaned at for mumbling, but when i annunciate properly it has way less of an issue

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
A friend of mine has similar sorts of issues with her and he speaks pretty clearly. My name is Aaron [Lastname] and she always says "did you mean, Erin [Lastname]" even though it's in his contacts correctly and Aaron is a common boy spelling. Obviously they have some bugs to work out.

Headrush69

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2007
A friend of mine has similar sorts of issues with her and he speaks pretty clearly. My name is Aaron [Lastname] and she always says "did you mean, Erin [Lastname]" even though it's in his contacts correctly and Aaron is a common boy spelling. Obviously they have some bugs to work out.
Try adding phonetic first name field in contact to "Erin" and see if that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.