Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
After seeing a lot of improper notation, par se, I felt the need to make a list of the iPod models and how to correctly call yours. I hope this will get stickied so it can help others.

First of all, iPod GENERATIONS:

A "Generation" of an iPod or iPod-line model is refering to not only the time it came out, but its likeness to other models. Generations are noted in G on MacRumors.

If you have the first generation iPod, you have the 1G iPod.

If you have the third generation iPod, you have the 3G iPod. You do NOT have a G3. That is a processor.

Now, if you look at the third generation line, you'll note that there were 10, 15, 20, 30, and 40 GB models. You had the 3G/15 or the 3G/30 depending on the GB involved. You may also see 3G/15GB. Please note that you do not have the 10G iPod because it does not exist yet - you have the 10GB.

This will become especially crucial when the 5th generation iPod comes out. Now, if you see "5G iPod for sale" you know it means a 5 gigabyte iPod. However, when the 5th generation comes out, it could end up meaning an 80 gigabyte iPod.

---------------------

The current iPod line:

iPod Shuffle - this player has no screen and flash memory. It randomly "shuffles" your songs and plays them back to you. Available in 512MB capacity for $99US or 1G capacity for $149US.

iPod mini - this colorful and fun player is smaller than the regular iPod but has a longer-life battery. Available in green, silver, blue, or pink in capacities of 4GB for $199US or 6GB for $249.

iPod - this is the original player with high capacity for music only. There is no color screen as of yet on the iPod itself. Available in 20GB for $299 or 40GB for $399.

iPod U2 Edition - this has the signatures of all of the members of the band U2 and is no different than the iPod except for the color (black) and the red click wheel as opposed to gray. Available in 20GB capacity for $349.

iPod Photo - this is the same as an iPod except it displays photos on a color screen. 30GB is $349 and 60GB is $449.

I hope this helps everyone. :)

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
If i were selling any of my iPods, I think I'd go the whole hog and write out "generation". as well as supplying an image.
But thanks for the terminology!

On a further note to the Shuffle can they be:
iPod SH 1G 0.5GB
iPod SH 1G 1GB
iPod SH 2G 0.5GB R (R for radio :))

I have:
iPod 1G 5GB (AKA original ipod)
iPod 3G 15GB
iPod Mini 1G 4GB
iPod SH 1G 1GB

Yes, 4! :eek:

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Hell, some people still don't know what generation iPod they have, so I'm gonna lay it out so people know...

1G: Original iPod, buttons around scroll wheel, scrool wheel mechanical, 5 GB drive
2G: buttons around scroll wheel, touch-sensitive scroll wheel, 10GB, 15GB, 20GB? (I don't think the 5GB ever got the touch-sensative wheel, correct me if i'm wrong)
3G: Buttons below screen, everything touch-sensitive, dock connector, 10GB, 15GB, 20GB, 30GB, 40GB
4G: Current iPod, click wheel, dock connector, 20GB, 40GB

But the 4G is kind of odd now that there's the iPod photo.

4GP: iPod photo, same as 4G, 30GB, 40GB, 60GB

mini 1G: click wheel, pink, green, blue, silver, gold, 4GB
mini 2G: click wheel, pink, green, blue, silver, lettering on click wheel now the same color as the iPod, 4GB, 6GB

Don't know how relevent this post was, but it makes me feel good about myself that I know all of this off the top of my head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.