Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As has been long reported, Microsoft's Xbox development system are PowerMac G5s. (photo)

Indeed, Xbox 360 demos being shown by Microsoft are running on PowerMac G5s.

"We purchased a number of Apple G5's because very specific hardware components of the G5 allow developers to emulate some of the technology behind future Xbox products and services," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. "This is an interim development tool that will be replaced with a more powerful and comprehensive solution later."

Both the PowerMac and Xbox sport PowerPC-based processors from IBM.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
That's kind of hilarious, nice thing to throw in the face of your average mac-bashing friend... but I suppose there's not a bit of apple software on it though?!

A

ebunton

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Sydney
A bit of a oddity for Microsoft no? To have their latest weapon for world domination being developed with Apple computers?

Does this mean that it would be easy to port Xbox 360 games to Mac?

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
OR ....

IBM might introduce a new PowerPC workstation based on Power5, Which supports virtualization? So is MSFT planning to make their OS for IBM Power (30% of the market share in Big iron) based servers (b'cos XP and server 2003 largely share the same code base)? :rolleyes:

I doubt that these games will move to mac any more than what they do now. Most of the code will be based on MSFT - XNA (own api/Framework for gamedevelopment) + DirectX - so porting the code will to next to impossible! :(

Last but not the least Windows XP/Longhorn for Macs! :D

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
What's with the "Xenon Technology" mentioned both on the link and also on the Ars article? I thought Xenon was Intel, not IBM. :confused:

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
This is an interim development tool that will be replaced with a more powerful and comprehensive solution later.
Sounds like faster PM's to me :D :D :D

Okay, I'm kidding... KIDDING!

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
micvog said:
What's with the "Xenon Technology" mentioned both on the link and also on the Ars article? I thought Xenon was Intel, not IBM. :confused:

Xeon = Processor from Intel.

Xenon = Codename for XBOX 360.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
micvog said:

Xeon - Intel (IA32 /x64)
Xenon - Some vague code word for "Technology" behind XBox 360 :confused:

CyberB0b

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
So, I guess for the operating system they have 2 choices:

1. Use OS X
2. Use a Windows port for PPC

Choice 1 would be awesome. The more likely choice 2 is kind of a downer. I purchase PPC hardware to block any chance of installing those archaic windows operating systems. Getting one step closer to polluting my mac makes me sad.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
The g5's are considered and "interim development tool" -- you know, Apple develops new stuff using a Cray supercomputer... I wonder if Billy-boy is finally going to take the plunge and liberate some of his cold cash for one of 'em. :D

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
VicMacs said:
so we can run xbox games on the new pbg5?

Seems it opens the door to good Mac-based Xbox 360 emulators in the future. If people can reverse engineer the final Xbox.

arn

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Steven1621 said:
and now we see a flood of new games heading to the mac, taking away another reason why people think the pc is better.
I highly doubt this will mean more games for us. Plus from looking at these specs these consoles are going to be way more powerful in the game department then our G5's.

jon

javanate

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
Macrumors said:

As has been long reported, Microsoft's Xbox development system are PowerMac G5s. (photo)

Indeed, Xbox 360 demos being shown by Microsoft are running on PowerMac G5s.

Both the PowerMac and Xbox sport PowerPC-based processors from IBM.

So much for Powermac sales, why did they bother with that update when things so much better are obviously 6 months away

letsGoOn2

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2005
Rochester, NY
Interim development tool?

"This is an interim development tool that will be replaced with a more powerful and comprehensive solution later."

So, in other words, they're waiting for the dual 3.0GHz G5 too?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Windows NT for PPC already exists

CyberB0b said:
1. Use OS X
2. Use a Windows port for PPC

Microsoft sold and shipped Windows NT 3 and NT 4 for PowerPC computers. Windows NT runs (or has been supported on) x86, PPC, Alpha, MIPS, Itanium and x64.

Support for PPC was dropped at the time Service Pack 2 for NT 4 was released. There were very few applications for PPC NT systems, so little interest.

I would imagine that Microsoft kept a few people busy keeping the PPC code running for Win2k and XP. It would be worth it, just to make sure that the code base stayed more portable.

The idea that XP has always run on PPC also makes the decision to go to PPC for xb360 much more reasonable. They already had the portable OS, so switching ISAs wouldn't be a huge problem.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Or maybe...

darkmatter05 said:
MWAHAHAHH microsoft has to use the apple's g5!!! HAHAHAH thats so freakin funny!

Or maybe it just shows that Microsoft is a mature corporation, not one that makes decisions based on "religious" issues or the ego of the CEO.

Reactions: Jhonjhon236
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.