Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrutusMaximus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Currently on the original 8.73. i've been to the ati website, downloaded the catalyst control center and drivers. I go through the process, and when it comes to the install screen, i click install, nothing happens. i get prompted saying it couldn't be installed b/c of compatibility issues.

I came across the this article:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1171062/

I've been trolling the forums looking for other articles but its mostly information from 11.6 and up. I dont know what to do with this really outdated driver.

Thanks in advance everyone for your help.

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
Apple don't want you to update your drivers to potentially unstable versions, so make it as difficult as possible to successfully install the latest graphic drivers.

BrutusMaximus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
yea i can tell. But i know other people are updating them, i have read in other threads that people are running newer drivers.

I can't figure out how to update them. :mad:

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
yea i can tell. But i know other people are updating them, i have read in other threads that people are running newer drivers.

I can't figure out how to update them. :mad:

I'm assuming you're referring to updating the GPU Driver on the Windows side of things as updating GPU drivers in OSX is, as far as I know, not possible.

Again, I'm also assuming you're referring to the ATI 5750 fond in the 2010 27" iMac, which in reality I believe is the ATI Mobility 5850 (Apple always used to muddy the waters in respect of GPU's in the iMac).

If the above assumptions are correct then there is no reason this shouldn't work:

AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver (Windows 7 64Bit)

AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver (Windows 7 32Bit)

It's always worth uninstalling the current drivers in Windows before installing new ones to avoid conflicts), this article may be helpful:

How to uninstall pre-existing graphics card drivers from a Microsoft Windows based system.

As a belts and braces approach after the initial reboot after uninstalling the current drivers I also use this program to get rid of any remenants of GPU drivers (after running this program just do a second reboot prior to installing the new drivers):

Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
Unless things have changed recently, last time I tried updating the drivers in Win7 it went through the motions, but didn't actually update the driver.
This was using the mobility drivers as well.

Again, Apple want you to use their bootcamp GPU driver and not introduce potentially unstable drivers into the mix.

My take on it has always been that IF I want to update Windows with the latest drivers then I should be able to regardless of the outcome.
It's irritating to be stuck with drivers that are months out of date. :mad:

I'm assuming you're referring to updating the GPU Driver on the Windows side of things as updating GPU drivers in OSX is, as far as I know, not possible.

Again, I'm also assuming you're referring to the ATI 5750 fond in the 2010 27" iMac, which in reality I believe is the ATI Mobility 5850 (Apple always used to muddy the waters in respect of GPU's in the iMac).

If the above assumptions are correct then there is no reason this shouldn't work:

AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver (Windows 7 64Bit)

AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver (Windows 7 32Bit)

It's always worth uninstalling the current drivers in Windows before installing new ones to avoid conflicts), this article may be helpful:

How to uninstall pre-existing graphics card drivers from a Microsoft Windows based system.

As a belts and braces approach after the initial reboot after uninstalling the current drivers I also use this program to get rid of any remenants of GPU drivers (after running this program just do a second reboot prior to installing the new drivers):

Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Unless things have changed recently, last time I tried updating the drivers in Win7 it went through the motions, but didn't actually update the driver.

Again, Apple want you to use their bootcamp GPU driver and not introduce potentially unstable drivers into the mix.

My take on it has always been that IF I want to update Windows with the latest drivers then I should be able to regardless of the outcome.

I can't comment on the 2010 iMac with the 5750 GPU as I have the 2011 iMac with the Radeon 6950. I have always been able to update the GPU drivers to the most current ones - same deal when I had the 2009 iMac with the 4850 GPU. Maybe the issue is the fact that Apple were very "ambiguous" with the 5750 GPU which actually turned out to be the mobility 5850 GPU - this does somewhat confuse things.

BrutusMaximus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011

Thank you for the input and the links. I followed the link on how to remove the current drivers, but i dont even have the catalyst control center or any think like that to remove. I still have the generic drivers that were used when installing win7 for the boot camp.

I tried the process of 'Uninstall Driver' in the GPU driver menu and installing the CCC with drivers with no success. :confused::mad::(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.