Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al0513

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
I have a few AVI videos that I have converted to m4v with Handbrake.

I wanted to be able to watch it on my apple TV so I used the presets that are available on the right of Handbrake. I picked Apple TV 2.

The file DOES play on Quicktime. My iTunes just won't add it.

Any help? I HAVE googled.. but still can't it to work.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Should be working. Have u checked the settings on the ATV? I have my TV resolution set to "auto". Also, are you just drag and dropping it into iTunes after conversion? Or do you have handbrake set up to save the file into the folder where iTunes pulls video from?

I have used Handbrake plenty of times, specifically for mkv files to convert to mov or m4v for use on the ATV. For avi files I use a program called iFlicks. Much better at adding metadata to the file. It isn't free though.

al0513

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
I haven't been able to drag/add it to iTunes... doesn't have to do with the ATV.

I have tried both add and dragging it into iTunes. Still don't have it.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I haven't been able to drag/add it to iTunes... doesn't have to do with the ATV.

I have tried both add and dragging it into iTunes. Still don't have it.

Let me ask u this... In iTunes, under preferences, then under "advanced" do you have "Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library" checked?

al0513

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
No I don't.

Im running a 13" MBA with 128GB.

I have all my media on an external HD. I don't want to save stuff to my HD.

Will this solve the problem AND not take up space on my laptop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.