PDA

View Full Version : Mac shows Black Screen of Death after partition

jsmwoolf
Oct 29, 2011, 07:09 PM
I'm trying to install windows 7 on my mac using bootcamp. I got the drivers and successfully partitioned 80 GB of space(I have a 250GB hard drive) for the Windows partition. However, after restarting it in order to install the OS, it shows a black screen with a white line blinking and it simply was like that for a half-hour. I then stopped the installation, booted back into Mac OS X, and then deleted the partition for Windows. I'm running BootCamp 4.0.1.

First off, should you install the drivers before installing the OS? Second off, should you only install the 64-bit version, not the 32-bit?

BrickbookPro
Oct 29, 2011, 08:11 PM
I'm trying to install windows 7 on my mac using bootcamp. I got the drivers and successfully partitioned 80 GB of space(I have a 250GB hard drive) for the Windows partition. However, after restarting it in order to install the OS, it shows a black screen with a white line blinking and it simply was like that for a half-hour. I then stopped the installation, booted back into Mac OS X, and then deleted the partition for Windows. I'm running BootCamp 4.0.1.

First off, should you install the drivers before installing the OS? Second off, should you only install the 64-bit version, not the 32-bit?

Either version of windows should work. Did you follow the bootcamp instructions? Once bootcamp creates the windows partition reboot to the windows disk and install to the bootcamp partition. I don't know how you could install drivers before installing the OS:confused:

jsmwoolf
Oct 29, 2011, 08:59 PM
I get this after partitioning the drive and reset the computer.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Win3x_Black_Screen_of_Death.gif

I don't know how you could install drivers before installing the OS It was an option under "Install Windows 7"

I forgot to tell you, but I have a MacBook 2008 of March, 4 GB of RAM, 2.4 GHz Intel Duo Core processor, and a 250 GB hard drive.

plodkiller
Oct 29, 2011, 10:02 PM
the flashing mark shows there is no os installed.......you go through the bootcamp partitioning stages.....then reboot with your windows disc in the drive......the windows disc should start to load and it takes you through the installation process for windows.....you should also allow windows to format the partition...called bootcamp.....

jsmwoolf
Oct 29, 2011, 10:16 PM
You mean press Option when it restarts and then click the Window disk? Tried that, but it still has the flashing mark. There strangely was another one called EPI Boot(I think), but that didn't work either. Should I download the latest drivers from apple first?

BrickbookPro
Oct 29, 2011, 10:49 PM
You mean press Option when it restarts and then click the Window disk? Tried that, but it still has the flashing mark. There strangely was another one called EPI Boot(I think), but that didn't work either. Should I download the latest drivers from apple first?

try installing rEFIt on the OS X side. Reboot twice on the second time it should allow you to select where to boot from. Select the CD.

jsmwoolf
Oct 29, 2011, 10:50 PM
ISO or Mac?

BrickbookPro
Oct 29, 2011, 11:05 PM
ISO or Mac?
Not sure what you are asking exactly...