Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laptoplover2

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
USA
What exactly happens with old iDevices? Like with the iPod Touch 1st generation, that's completely outdated now, what do you really do with them? Because you can't update, then you can't get a ton of apps in the app store, so then you pretty much are excluded from apps almost. What do you really do with them at that point? Just curious, wanted to ask now before 3 years when my iPod Touch 4th generation is excluded from iOS 7 or whatever they'll have.

If you jailbreak it, then do you get a lot more stuff from Cydia that's still compatible?

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

What? There are still a lot of apps that support the first generation iPhone and you can upgrade it to iOS 3.1.3. It does not become obsolete simply because it isn't receiving major software updates anymore.

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
they aren't SO outdated devices.I bought an iPhone 2g 1 week ago just because i love the design.And i do many things with it.All my favourite apps are still supported.And also soon i will install Whited00r 5 and it's prettty nice.Also i overclocked it and it runs much faster.So they aren't outdated just because they don't receive iOS updates.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
My iPod touch 1st gen was used till last week, because the long broken headphone jack finally got to me. Stock 3.1.3 iOS. Plays the only games I really care about - all td games.

Just got a 4th gen 8gb black to replace it. It's smaller! But te screen is noticeably sharper:)

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Save them for your kids. Like all the Star Wars stuff I still have from when I was a kid, it might just be worth some bucks :) Doesn't take much room to store it.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
A device is only outdated if it can no longer perform actions you need it to. Even if Apple stopped updating the iP4 right now and 5.0 was the last update I'd still get at least another year or two of service out of it. If it's still running and in good shape by 2013 then I'll most likely just keep using it until it finally blows the logic board.

pchipchip

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2011
I am sure you could probably sell it on EBay or Craigslist or something to a collector for a little cash

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Here's a question about an older device someone might be able to help me with.

My dad is still using a 3G running 3.1.3. He's about to upgrade to something else (could be the 4S, could be an Android phone...I have no idea), but he's going to give his 3G to my mom. If he wanted to restore it just to clean things up a bit and having it running in tip-top shape, what would it restore to? I'm assuming he can't upgrade to iOS5, as I know how bad iOS4 ran on the 3G.

I haven't been keeping up with it, but I thought I read a while back that the 3G owners could update to whatever iOS software they wanted? I may be totally wrong on that. But if we could restore the device and set it up on 3.1.3 again, that would be perfect.

Any ideas or advice?

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Here's a question about an older device someone might be able to help me with.

My dad is still using a 3G running 3.1.3. He's about to upgrade to something else (could be the 4S, could be an Android phone...I have no idea), but he's going to give his 3G to my mom. If he wanted to restore it just to clean things up a bit and having it running in tip-top shape, what would it restore to? I'm assuming he can't upgrade to iOS5, as I know how bad iOS4 ran on the 3G.

I haven't been keeping up with it, but I thought I read a while back that the 3G owners could update to whatever iOS software they wanted? I may be totally wrong on that. But if we could restore the device and set it up on 3.1.3 again, that would be perfect.

Any ideas or advice?

Just plug it into iTunes and hit restore. I think it will load the latest software version that is compatible with the device. Should be 4.something. If you jailbreak it you can add features such as multitasking, and home screen wallpapers and stuff.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I have a iphone 3G I still use for my foreign SIM card.
Fair enough there's no iOS5; i'm sure it wouldn't be able to run it just seeing at how slow ios4 already is.

What puzzles and annoy me is that now MobileME is useless. I upgraded to iCloud long ago (during the betas) and the iPhone 3G just stopped working with mobileme.

Apple should release a small patch to the 3G and first ipod so that I can, at least, use iCloud sync services for contacts and calendars.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
There are some people out there that will use it who dont care for the newest apps and updates

So just sell them

iPool

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
Old outdated iOS device = trashcan

BUT! Are there any outdated iOS devices so far? No. As said, the first generation iPhone/iPod Touch are still compatible with most apps on the App Store.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
When I got my 4th gen iPod touch, I gave my 2nd gen to my sister. It still plays most current games, and she really only uses it for music and a little internet anyways. Older devices can be useful to someone, just gotta find out who.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.