PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer Usage Slips Below 90 Percent

MacBytes
May 14, 2005, 05:22 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Internet Explorer Usage Slips Below 90 Percent (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050514182232)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by arn

JeDiBoYTJ
May 14, 2005, 05:32 PM
its always nice to read about how the mighty being to slip and fall... :)

solvs
May 14, 2005, 11:05 PM
Ha!

Maybe soon a few more sites will stop with the IE-only garbage.

mkrishnan
May 14, 2005, 11:26 PM
Maybe soon a few more sites will stop with the IE-only garbage.

As much as I want it to suffer, may ActiveX die a quick and painless death, to make way for standards based browsing! :D

wrldwzrd89
May 15, 2005, 06:40 AM
PC World never mentioned any Safari traffic they got...

IE still dominates, just not by quite as much as before. I am not pleased when I find out that a web site I wanted to visit only allows IE/Win users. I want this behavior to stop because it's detrimental to everybody.

macridah
May 15, 2005, 09:56 AM

IE still dominates, just not by quite as much as before. I am not pleased when I find out that a web site I wanted to visit only allows IE/Win users. I want this behavior to stop because it's detrimental to everybody.

I also hate when a website says "this site has been optimized on IE 6 ... some features may not work with other browsers"

That is BS. Hope webmasters start designing websites the right way.

mkrishnan
May 15, 2005, 12:35 PM

They did say it was <3%, but it was weird that when they mentioned non-obvious browsers, they mentioned WebTV and not Safari! :eek: Well, how many PC users know what Safari even is! :p "DUDE, I H8 MACS! THEY J@KK3D THA IE ICON N REPLACED IT WITH A COMPASS!!!!!1111" :D

MontyZ
May 15, 2005, 01:00 PM
IE is the most pain-in-the-arse browser to deal with when developing websites because it's conformity to HTML and other standards is so bad. I wish it would go away completely.

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 15, 2005, 01:08 PM
...and one person (you know who you are) was using Internet Explorer 3.0, which dates to 1996.:D

But seriously, any decline in IEs market share is a good one. A nice diversified web browser market where no browsers has more than 50% (or even 30%) share and all follows the standards as well as they can, could be essential for further developing the web and an advantage for computer users everywhere.

iMeowbot
May 15, 2005, 01:26 PM
Well yeah, but it is PC World. Any of these user agent breakdowns that looks at only one site is going to provide a distorted view.

Nickygoat
May 15, 2005, 03:06 PM
"By the way, I never heard of Oprah browser before. Do you receive a free web browser if you subscribe to the magazine?"
That's a classic - even if in jest :p

mkrishnan
May 15, 2005, 03:31 PM
"By the way, I never heard of Oprah browser before. Do you receive a free web browser if you subscribe to the magazine?"
That's a classic - even if in jest :p

ROFL, and if you're really lucky, it'll give you a pair of free Ugg boots and a Pontiac G6 too! :D

bbarnhart
May 15, 2005, 05:05 PM
I use FireFox at work. I can't go back to a non-tabbed browser.

narco
May 15, 2005, 09:53 PM
I also hate when a website says "this site has been optimized on IE 6 ...

Isn't "optimized on IE 6" an oxymoron?

Fishes,
narco.

ham_man
May 15, 2005, 09:58 PM
I use FireFox at work. I can't go back to a non-tabbed browser.
Here here!!!

I have been telling everyone in my family to start using Firefox but they always give me crap about IE being inegrated, it being *sic* secure, tab browsing being overrated, and all other stuff. Frankly, the security issues and tabbed browsing will never, ever, allow IE to be satisfactory...

nagromme
May 16, 2005, 10:48 AM
Last time I saw stats, IE was the most-used, Firefox was #2, and Safari, despite its small %, was at #3.

Safari's not #3 at PC World, but I wonder if it still is overall?

plinden
May 16, 2005, 12:16 PM
Last time I saw stats, IE was the most-used, Firefox was #2, and Safari, despite its small %, was at #3.

Safari's not #3 at PC World, but I wonder if it still is overall?
Everyone with Safari should go over to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp and bump up the stats there.

It shows Mozilla-based browsers (Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape) at 28.3% and IE (5 and 6) at 65% This figure for Mozilla is too high for general internet usage in my opinion, since w3c shools is likely to be visited by more tech savvy users, but it shows a large decline from 85% for IE from its high point in March 2003 (when it would have really had > 90% of the total browser usage.)

The stats add up to just over 95% for May 2005, so unless there are a large number of other browsers with < 0.2% of the market, they are leaving out Safari for some reason.