PDA

View Full Version : Smart Cover damaging iPad

ideal.dreams
Oct 30, 2011, 09:15 PM
I took my polyurethane smart cover off of my iPad today and was NOT happy with what I saw. There are two (not one, but TWO) deep scratches on the edge of the iPad where the Smart Cover's hinge attaches.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Will complaining to Apple do me any good? I paid 40 dollars to PROTECT my 500 dollar device, not scratch the hell out of it.

Dangerous Theory
Oct 30, 2011, 09:54 PM
I noticed the exact same issue developing on my iPad 2 that I got 2 weeks ago. I had very feint scratches after a week of smart cover use, and scratches on the smart cover hinge also that lined up. Had my iPad 2 replaced today for a failing SIM read issue so I'm glad they are gone, but I will now be putting a piece of cello tape where the hinges make contact.

If you do go to an Apple store about it, please tell me how it went!

ideal.dreams
Oct 31, 2011, 05:53 AM
With any luck at all I'll get a new iPad out of it. The nearest Apple store is an hour away from me so I'm not going to be taking this there, I will be calling them though.

ideal.dreams
Oct 31, 2011, 11:11 AM
For anyone who may have been wondering:

I called Apple and explained the damage the cover has caused and they are going to replace my Smart Cover AND iPad. This is why I love Apple's support!

Dhelsdon
Oct 31, 2011, 11:14 AM
Glad to hear it!!

This exact thing happened to another member, with the same result.

Mindy60
Nov 1, 2011, 09:15 AM

I called Apple and explained the damage the cover has caused and they are going to replace my Smart Cover AND iPad. This is why I love Apple's support!

I would have thought that if the smart cover were the problem, you would have received a refund for it. So did they say it was the glass on the iPad or was it the smart cover? What will improve with the new cover and iPad?

ideal.dreams
Nov 1, 2011, 07:56 PM
I think the smart cover was defective. Looking at the hinge of the cover there looked like there were little pieces of lead. I doubt that's what it actually was but it seemed similar to it. Regardless, I got the new cover in the mail today (which was VERY quick considering I requested a replacement yesterday) and the hinge doesn't look like it did before.

iAmYou
Nov 4, 2011, 08:11 PM

This is exactly why we have AppleCare+ was introduced.

Yr Blues
Nov 4, 2011, 08:37 PM
they need more felt on the hinge. it just has a sliver

ideal.dreams
Nov 4, 2011, 09:47 PM
they need more felt on the hinge. it just has a sliver

I agree. I got my smart cover replacement a day after I requested it and my iPad came in yesterday. Very pleased!