PDA

View Full Version : Apple Has Already Started Work on Mac OS X 10.8

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Oct 31, 2011, 01:48 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/31/apple-has-already-started-work-on-mac-os-x-10-8/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/hardware-150x81.png

Apple has already begun work on the next major revision to Mac OS X which is being labeled as version 10.8.

Apple only just released the final version of OS X 10.7 (Lion) to customers in July (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/20/apple-launches-os-x-lion-via-mac-app-store/). OS X Lion was the first version of Mac OS X to be distributed through the Mac App Store and it included a number of new features for the Mac. These included an iOS-like application launch screen known as Launchpad, full-screen apps, a new combined interface for Dashboard, Expose, and Spaces known as Mission Control, enhanced Multi-Touch gestures, and improvements to a number of core applications such as Mail.

While Apple has yet to announce plans for the next major version of OS X, evidence of 10.8 first began appearing in our web logs in August, and have since accelerated. This graph shows an increasing number of web visits from Mac OS X 10.8 users over the past several months.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/macos1081.jpg

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8) AppleWebKit/535.6.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.2 Safari/535.6.2
While it is trivial to falsify these records, the requests originated from Apple, Inc. IP addresses and surrounding areas. Also, the overall clustering is consistent with limited internal testing. We saw a very similar pattern (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/23/mac-os-x-10-7-appearing-in-web-logs-dev-release-at-wwdc/) for the early OS X 10.7 requests which began in October, 2009:

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/macos1072.jpg

Note that the first appearance of 10.7 was almost a full year before the first developer preview, and nearly 20 months before the public release.

So far, there have been no hints as to what we might expect to see in Mac OS X 10.8. Historically, Apple's major OS X releases are released (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X) every other year: 10.3 in 2003, 10.4 in 2005, 10.5 in 2007, 10.6 in 2009, and 10.7 in 2011. Based on this pattern, we expect Apple to preview Mac OS X 10.8 sometime in 2012, with the final public release happening in 2013.

Another question is what Apple will call OS X 10.8. Apple has been naming their major OS X releases after feline animals such as Tiger and Leopard. "Lion" naturally seems like it may be the end of the line for those names. While Apple had previously trademarked the names "Lynx" and "Cougar", the company has since abandoned those trademarks. It should be noted that Lion hadn't been trademarked until after their first public announcement, so the choice of name could still be wide open.

Article Link: Apple Has Already Started Work on Mac OS X 10.8 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/31/apple-has-already-started-work-on-mac-os-x-10-8/)

8CoreWhore
Oct 31, 2011, 01:51 AM
Bring it on! :p

We should be at the end of the line regarding cat names.

I can see them using birds next...

And it goes with the whole cloud thing.

iRobby
Oct 31, 2011, 01:53 AM
Let the ROAR begin!!

jamisonbaines
Oct 31, 2011, 01:54 AM
Mountain Lion

etimmy
Mac OS 10.8 - Tabby Cat!

charlituna
Bit of a no duh really. They have probably been working on it for a while

jayhawk11
Oct 31, 2011, 01:55 AM
And so it begins...:rolleyes:

gpat
Oct 31, 2011, 01:55 AM
Sky Lion, for the cloud. Would sound great.

Adgeman
Oct 31, 2011, 01:56 AM
It's interesting to see metrics like this but it shouldn't come as any surprise. I'm certain there was an engineering team working on 10.8 when 10.7 was announced. There's probably a design team figuring out what they want to see in 10.9 while the other guys get on with 10.8.

It's the same in my industry; sites publish these amazing stories saying Sony are working on the PS4. Of course they are; they'll likely be working on the basic ideas of it while the PS3 is launching. Same goes for Microsoft and whatever 360 successor they're working on.

In order to stay at the top of your game you need a roadmap greater than your next product; you need to see past that.

Broph
Oct 31, 2011, 01:58 AM
Lion's the end of the line?! YOU'VE MISSED OUT THE BEST

OS X 10.8 - KEYBOARD CAT

wikus
Oct 31, 2011, 01:59 AM
I hope they stop with the ipadification of OS X.

And a concise list of things WRONG with OS X:

1) Mission Control is an absolute mess.

It needs OPTIONS in system preferences to give us back the ability to view
all open windows at once without grouping them together, just like in
Expose. Anyone who multitasks between multiple documents in photoshop,
illustrator, indesign, etc. will know exactly how annoying it is to switch to a window in a different application.

2) Simplify Mission Control.

No need for it to pull back the wallpaper when activating it, and
especially no need to show thumbnails over other desktops up top when
users only use ONE desktop.

3) Version needs to go (or be turned off).

Give users options in system preferences for versions/auto save. This is a
huge problem for privacy. I would want it turned completely off.

4) The sidebar icons.

It looks like a dumbass graphic designer with no sense of functionality
designed these. Why are they all grey? Its really difficult quickly
scanning through the list of icons to find where to go.

5) RAM optimization.

Lion is a memory HOG. One reason many of us were excited about Snow Leopard
was because it built on the greatness of Leopard itself and made the
experience better. Lion is just complete bloatware compared to Snow
Leopard.

6) Launchpad is useless for many users.

It really needs to be capable of being turned off COMPLETELY, or
trashed/uninstalled. Simply removing it from the dock does not disable
it. The proof of this is when download an application through the app
store; launchpad pops up automatically. I have no need for it, I use
shortcuts in the dock already. Im sick of the ipadification of Lion.

7) Battery life on MacBooks.

Go to any forum and you will see a massive number of users experiencing
terrible battery life. Lion is clearly not optimized, at all.

8) iTunes bloat.

While I'm at it; I hate iTunes. It'd be fine if it werent such a bloated peice of **** if it didnt include all the crap for itunes music store, support for ipods, iphones, ipads, app store, movies, etc. It'd be really great if apple could put together a simple application with a library JUST for the purpose of listening to music. For now, I use Vox.

9) TRIM Support.

Apple has been selling laptops with SSD drives for about 4 years now, and STILL hasnt added support for TRIM, something that should have been standard the day they started selling those macbook airs with SSDs. Fast forward to today, and there is NO EXCUSE for not implementing this. Windows has had TRIM for years. Where is Apple today considering their stance on being cutting edge and innovative and all that propaganda?

kiljoy616
Oct 31, 2011, 02:00 AM
Saber tooth is going to be well who knows. Just hope that Launchpad becomes something that can run iOS apps. I would love to see more iOS apps integrated into os x. :apple:

haruhiko
OS X Lion S :D

Peace
Looks like the hits from 10.8 are about double the hits from 10.7. Is this attributed to the increase in traffic from Apple to MR or the number of people testing it.

Do you know arn ? Has Apple been visiting MR more lately ?

MH01
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hope that 10.8 comes with alot more innovation, 10.7 was just disappointing and seemed like a minor realease. I believe 10.7 is the first time I have not bothered to upgrade an OS on a mac, the fact that it was pushed via the app store also disapointeded me.

iBookG4user

I wholeheartedly agree, I hope that they go back to their Snow Leopard roots for this next version of OS X.

Axemantitan
Oct 31, 2011, 02:01 AM
I thought it was well-known that they are always working on the next version of the OS and that work it on begins before the current one is even released. I'm sure that preliminary work on 10.8 began after 10.6 was released and 10.7 was still in Alpha or Beta. I'm sure that while coding is being done on 10.8 right now, concepts for 10.9 are already being drafted.

arn
Oct 31, 2011, 02:02 AM
It's interesting to see metrics like this but it shouldn't come as any surprise.

Sure, perhaps better title would have been. "Apple Employees Should be Working on OS X 10.8 But Instead Are Browsing MacRumors.com." :)

arn

tylerk36
Oct 31, 2011, 02:02 AM
Does any one remember when Apple filed a patent for 3D desktop? Has any one seen this post here. It came out last year. I honestly think this will be released in either OS 10.8 or 10.9. Wow we are getting close to the OS XI Here is the link.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/12/11/apple_working_on_3d_mac_os_x_user_interface_images.html

Dnix
Oct 31, 2011, 02:03 AM
OS X Liger.

haruhiko
Oct 31, 2011, 02:03 AM
I wholeheartedly agree, I hope that they go back to their Snow Leopard roots for this next version of OS X.

Most of the features in Lion are good, except Launchpad.

X5-452
Oct 31, 2011, 02:04 AM
Mac OS X 10.8: LOLCAT

LegendarySlayer
Oct 31, 2011, 02:04 AM
Cant Stand The Wait!!! and it's only been 3 months :P

sasza
Oct 31, 2011, 02:10 AM
Mac OS X 10.8 "iOS" :D

Abazigal
Oct 31, 2011, 02:10 AM
OSX Fatcat, if it ends up slowing down my imac just like Lion did. :p

Dnix
Oct 31, 2011, 02:14 AM
Mac OS X 10.8 "iOS" :D

Oh dear God. :eek:

Slurpy2k8
Oct 31, 2011, 02:19 AM
Most of the features in Lion are good, except Launchpad.

Launchpad is fantastic. I use it all the time to launch applications not in the dock. Beats opening up the finder and scrolling through a tiny list.

Also, those who say they hope Apple will reverse the 'iPadification' in their next OS are really disconnected with reality, and havent been paying attention. If anything, it will clearly increase. The endgame is the merging of both iOS and OSX. Anyone who can't see why that would be Apple's goal in the big picture.. wwll, there's nothing to say. I'm not even sure what people here WANT in a desktop OS, and neither do they. Innovation on the desktop will now stem from innovations in the mobile space, which will spred to both. People say they're disappointed with Lion, yet don't offer a single feature they would have liked to see. Lion is the best desktop OS Apple has ever made. I could never go back to SL. What the hell are 'SL roots anyway'? Some of you are utterly clueless.

kockgunner
Oct 31, 2011, 02:19 AM

Snow Leopard roots? You make it seem like SL was the golden standard of yore :D.. I would rather see them do improve memory usage in Lion as a point upgrade instead of leaving it broken as is. I didn't want to think it at first, but Lion may very well be Apple's Vista. Features are okay and what not, but performance has really gone down.

CodeBreaker
Oct 31, 2011, 02:22 AM
I'm happy it's Intel 10.8. So no ARM powered, half-dead MB Air.

electrovir
Oct 31, 2011, 02:29 AM

In case you haven’t noticed, Apple NEVER goes “back”

Burstl
Oct 31, 2011, 02:32 AM
I think they should switch to bird names like Mac OS 10.8 Eagle and so on.

lukarak
Oct 31, 2011, 02:32 AM
Launchpad is fantastic. I use it all the time to launch applications not in the dock. Beats opening up the finder and scrolling through a tiny list.

Also, those who say they hope Apple will reverse the 'iPadification' in their next OS are really disconnected with reality, and havent been paying attention. If anything, it will clearly increase. The endgame is the merging of both iOS and OSX. Anyone who can't see why that would be Apple's goal in the big picture.. wwll, there's nothing to say. I'm not even sure what people here WANT in a desktop OS, and neither do they. Innovation on the desktop will now stem from innovations in the mobile space, which will spred to both. People say they're disappointed with Lion, yet don't offer a single feature they would have liked to see. Lion is the best desktop OS Apple has ever made. I could never go back to SL. What the hell are 'SL roots anyway'? Some of you are utterly clueless.

I agree that Lion is very good, certainly thebest so far. I don't like launchpad because it's infinitessimaly less complicated to press cmd+space and type the three letters of your app (even 1 or 2 sometimes). Also, i don't like that it has a fixed number of rows and columns, it looks rediculous on a 30'' i use.

Another thing missing is the ability to use two monitors, and switch between desktops on them independently. So no extend, clone and so on, but just being able to chose desktop 1 on first, and desktop 7 on the other. And then switch to 3 and 5 respectively.

sennekuyl
Oct 31, 2011, 02:35 AM

Why don't you use Spotlight to launch apps not in the dock? Is it actually easier to use launchpad for this?

That said, I can't wait to get my [own] mac so I can be running Lion. Love versions. That is worth $130 any day. (yeah, I know it is only $30 in the Mac Store to upgrade.)

Doh!

Truffy
Oct 31, 2011, 02:38 AM
Bit of a no duh really. They have probably been working on it for a while
Agreed. They'll be working on the next version before the new one hits the (virtual) shelves.

chairguru22
Oct 31, 2011, 02:41 AM
Mac OSX 10.8 Liger

tblrsa
Oct 31, 2011, 02:42 AM
Lion is superior to Snow Leopard in almost every regard, but performance. SL did perform better, but I´m confident Apple will fix this. For example, Safari is still slowing the system down.

WVUAppleSeed
Oct 31, 2011, 02:44 AM
With the introduction of iCloud, and the way the OS is moving towards the cloud it would be no surprise if the OS started using birds of prey, i.e. Falcon, Hawk, Eagle, Golden Eagle, Bald Eagle, etc etc.

I could also see them just losing the animal thing all together. It was probably a nice run through with the cats that started in 2000 and they wanted to close the door with it.

arn
Oct 31, 2011, 02:45 AM
Agreed. They'll be working on the next version before the new one hits the (virtual) shelves.

two things...

1. no one has been using 10.8 for general MacRumors browsing before August, and even then it was minimally. So there has been increased distribution of 10.8 over the past few weeks to more Apple employees.

2. I don't believe Apple quite works like you are saying. While I'm sure there are research teams that are working on concepts all the time. The core development teams seem small and seem to work on various projects. I remember hearing OS X progress delayed specifically because of work done on iOS due to the sharing of teams.

From my understanding, Apple doesn't have massively parallel teams doing all this. There likely isn't a 10.8 team and a 10.9 team and a 10.7 team. There's the Mac OS X team that shifts gears as they go.

arn

Esuark
Oct 31, 2011, 02:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Dang, this has been a busy weekend for macrumors!

marcusj0015
Oct 31, 2011, 02:54 AM
The problem witha 3D desktop, on a 2D display, and presumabley a 3D display as well, is that if two clickable surfaces are in front of one another, the other is inaccessible.

which could be solved if you could do a gesture to make it swing in and out like i just imagined while writing that. :)

starvingartist8
Oct 31, 2011, 03:02 AM
Oh dear God. :eek:
if apple went with iOS for their desktops / laptops. That would be the day I switch to PC lol

EDIT:

Apple did go backwards on one thing and that was boot times. I classed their incredible boot time in SL as a feature but now that feature is lost. At least on HDDs

AIP5
Oct 31, 2011, 03:05 AM
That's really cool how Apple employees are browsing MR. I guess they want to stay updated on all the latest rumors too! :)

ashimog
Oct 31, 2011, 03:12 AM
How about Nyancat? :p

DesertDrummer
Oct 31, 2011, 03:14 AM
Why don't you use Spotlight to launch apps not in the dock? Is it actually easier to use launchpad for this?

I will confess, I originally thought the same thing. But it for me, I only run a handful of things again and again, and putting them in LaunchPad makes it even more painless to start what I want. I have my applications now grouped into logical "pages" based on frequency and type of use, and it really has made the experience better.

Also, and for me this is a big one, my kids (down to age 5) have NO problem using LaunchPad to launch games or anything else, whereas there's no way they would have been using Spotlight to do it.

I promise, I was as skeptical of this feature as they come, but I am now sold.

:apple: wins again!

benedetti
Oct 31, 2011, 03:16 AM
Mac OSX 10.8 Angry Lion.

Hyper-X
Oct 31, 2011, 03:16 AM
Mac OS X 10.8, another FailCat OS upon release until version .6 or greater.

fobfob
Oct 31, 2011, 03:17 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

10.8 OMG Cat

Dragonforce
Oct 31, 2011, 03:30 AM
They should use Dinosaur names :p

10.8 Triceratops (with enhanced security)
10.9 Velociraptor (with enhanced speed)
11.0 Tyrannosaurus Rex (will dominate everything)

CRT
Oct 31, 2011, 03:30 AM
Hope it'll bring with it an option to reverse the whole Mission Control thing, personally I much preferred the combination of Spaces and Exposé, having an option really shouldn't be too much to ask for IMO. But then again :rolleyes:

I do like launchpad but agree there should be an option to disable it, change icon size and etc. Wouldn't mind Blu ray support either but I guess that's a whole other bag of hurt right there :rolleyes:

I do like having multiple wallpapers though, and spotlight is a lot better now as well a few other things. I would like an option to enable "save as" again though. Basically what I'm hoping for in 10.8 is pros and options as apposed to pros and cons, I think it's safe to assume we have the hard drive space, but then again :rolleyes:

orfeas0
Oct 31, 2011, 03:31 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just like microsoft windows 8, apple can (and probably will) merge osx with iOS. Launchpad= tablet mode, finder= computer mode. Can't wait. But hopefully the computer experience won't change (unlike windows 8...)

bushido
Oct 31, 2011, 03:32 AM
Cougar, lol! - "out with the old, in with the new"

Owenburson
Oct 31, 2011, 03:32 AM
Sure, perhaps better title would have been. "Apple Employees Should be Working on OS X 10.8 But Instead Are Browsing MacRumors.com." :)

arn

Sorry to burst your bubble; the more likely scenario is that it's a staged marketing strategy. I would suspect all the other rumour sites have similar stats, and all for one purpose - to generate rumours. It's a part of the play.

adder7712
Oct 31, 2011, 03:43 AM
Mac OS X Raptor sounds freaking badass.

Come on Apple, bring on the Mac stuff. :cool:

sanke1
Oct 31, 2011, 03:44 AM
My mid 2010 MBP is slow in UI responsiveness when I upgraded to Lion. I will probably wait for better intel drivers before dumping this slow experience. Slow Laggy UI kills everything. Forcing nvidia GeForce 330M all the time makes the MBP run hotter and uncomfortable to touch. I also get a weird static shock when I touch the body.

MacSince1990
Oct 31, 2011, 03:59 AM
Pretty sure they've been working on 10.8 since before Lion was released. >_>

Mac OS X Nemean Lion :D

Bird names?! >_< Okay, but it better be Mac OS X Falcon, and not Mac OS X... Canary :P

nitrokev
Oct 31, 2011, 04:09 AM
Why would they visit MacRumors? The only reason would be to get a story like this out there and start the hype machine, right?

igazza
Oct 31, 2011, 04:15 AM
Hopefully its stable when they release it, unlike lion.:)

burtba
Oct 31, 2011, 04:18 AM
Gees 10.8?? It really seems to me that 10.7 still has so much work to be done on it. Bug fix's IMO

kaplanreject
Oct 31, 2011, 04:19 AM
OSX 10.8 Sphinx

You know, cause of the all the integration an such... :D

welljim
Oct 31, 2011, 04:27 AM
It's really a shame that Apple has turned into Microsoft, shipping buggier and buggier OS iterations with every new release. What happened to quality!? They keep racing to add new features every year and serious bugs that torture people on a daily basis are left lingering. What happened to that rock solid OS of the old times? The latest OS X iterations leak like MoFos, are slower on some operation, miss much loved previous features, and crashes for breakfast.

It's really sad, looks like in a few years OS X will be like windows :(

----------

Gees 10.8?? It really seems to me that 10.7 still has so much work to be done on it. Bug fix's IMO

for sure! I wish they did the much anticipated house keeping instead of shipping yet another ever buggier release :(

Bernard SG
Oct 31, 2011, 04:27 AM
Hopefully its stable when they release it, unlike lion.:)

There is no such thing as a software stable at first release - especially an OS.

bushido
Oct 31, 2011, 04:30 AM
My mid 2010 MBP is slow in UI responsiveness when I upgraded to Lion. I will probably wait for better intel drivers before dumping this slow experience. Slow Laggy UI kills everything. Forcing nvidia GeForce 330M all the time makes the MBP run hotter and uncomfortable to touch. I also get a weird static shock when I touch the body.

thats weird. my late 09 mbp still runs like a fast cat

elpmas
Oct 31, 2011, 04:31 AM
i have to get used to 10.7 first :/

andy721
Oct 31, 2011, 04:33 AM
I'm sure they started right after 10.7 Lion.
If not then we're screwed or perhaps a miracle will happen & be the best operating system. Not sure If Lion is good or it could be that Final Cut Pro X is crap with crap updates. But I use it quite often I like it somedays, but somedays it crashes a lot and have to restart. I use Finaly Cut Pro 7 or whatever the previously new version from X is.

It captures all of my FRAPS videos unlike FCP X it does not it cuts some video out. I think they need to look into that, the format is AVI. It reads it and shows the video just cuts it short at the end. Such a hassle. Of course on the Lion OS there's some bugs here or there but as more updates or days go by it fixes itself I guess. Or doesn't & frustrates people with Mac users like myself.

I use a Early 2008 Mac Pro 2x2.8 GHz quad-core Intel Xeon processors with dual-independent 1600 MHz front side buses, 8 Cores, 6GB 800MHZ ECC DIMM RAM , 320 GB HDD & a 500GB HDD, 16x Double-Layer SuperDrive, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with 512 MB of GDDR3 memory (I wish Apple would make it compatable with every graphics card out there without using this external converter which sounds nice but not sure if it's out yet)

L2/L3 Cache: 12 MB, Lion 10.7.2 & Windows 7 Ultimate x64bit &
a 20" :apple:Apple Cinema Display. I try to get the best of the best. But of course the i7's are out and soon to be better and faster Mac Pros coming to the Apple Store. Oh listen to me rant or should say look at me rant on this forum. Probably the most I've talked about in ages from this site.

Anyways what I'm trying to say is I hope they don't rush this without Steve Jobs rest his soul & the outcome to perfection since he's a perfectionist like myself or try to be but we aren't all perfect we can only assume. :D

Northgrove
Oct 31, 2011, 04:35 AM
I wonder how many will get a heart attack if they start the introduction by naming it the new... Mac iOS X. And go on to detail how they will now be one and the same. Two sides of the same coin. Replacing the dock with a swipe to reveal a full-featured iOS Springboard.

mp0890
Oct 31, 2011, 04:38 AM
Why does anyone with 10.8 need to get on MacRumors?

----------

I wonder how many will get a heart attack if they start the introduction by naming it the new... Mac iOS X. And go on to detail how they will now be one and the same. Two sides of the same coin. Replacing the dock with a swipe to reveal a full-featured iOS Springboard.

Not yet... I have been saying OS Xi for OS11 :cool:

Ulf1103
Oct 31, 2011, 04:38 AM
I'm wondering,
how much better will it be?

ChristianJapan
Oct 31, 2011, 04:41 AM

To start rumors ? Or just interested in reactions ?

Anyway: it will be a pink-themed "Hello Kitty" version, I'm sure ...

baryon
Oct 31, 2011, 04:45 AM
Maybe that's the one that will fix Mission Control!

76ShovelHead
Oct 31, 2011, 04:45 AM
With the introduction of iCloud, and the way the OS is moving towards the cloud it would be no surprise if the OS started using birds of prey, i.e. Falcon, Hawk, Eagle, Golden Eagle, Bald Eagle, etc etc.

I could also see them just losing the animal thing all together. It was probably a nice run through with the cats that started in 2000 and they wanted to close the door with it.

I really love Lion, I don't understand why people complain so much. Yes, I've noticed a little bit of a memory leak, but I'm sure they'll fix that. And no, I couldn't ever go back to Snow Leopard.

Having said that, I could totally see them transition to bird names (which would be cool, but their implementation of cat names was just genius –it gave the name a cool factor you just don't get with "Vista"). But it seems like they're ditching all that cutesy stuff that started this beautiful platform. They've scratched out the "Mac" in Mac OS X, and they no longer have the awesome intro movies that gave youtube millions of hits, all while rapidly progressing to a more streamlined experience.

Apple, the weird, fun-loving, quirky-little-think-different company is dropping all that for a professional image with simple, sleek notebooks, today's pop-culture(think lady gaga, and all the other things the youth's are into) and boring professionalism (no more white macbook :( ). It's sad that they say the best days of Apple are ahead, but everything that established this brand is departing.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm sure they're more great apple products to come, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that all the little things that defined them, the quirky things that made using a mac so enjoyable, so different, is happening to leave us. So no, it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped the naming all-together in favor of a more "streamlined" naming technique such as "Windows 7."

Whats next to go: Startup chime. :(

Lone Deranger
Oct 31, 2011, 04:48 AM
OSX 10.8 Griffin. Half Lion, half Eagle…. to emphasize the iCloud transition.

andy721
Oct 31, 2011, 04:54 AM
To start rumors ? Or just interested in reactions ?

Anyway: it will be a pink-themed "Hello Kitty" version, I'm sure ...

Well most of us know that the featured articles start off so inaccurate that it needs to be edited months later saying we were way off but here's the real deal and how it looks like.

Apple keeps secrets quite well & try to keep it that way unless you work for them and let some out, which I know the Employees there get really excited that they can't keep it a secret anymore, or if they're dedicated they become a loyal and trust worthy candidate to move up in the field at Apple.

I guess this site was called MacRumors because they don't know 100% sure what to say about an upcoming product/project starting on from Apple Inc. Or else it would be called MacSecretsRevealed.com. According to this almost year old, December 16, 2010 to be exact forever long link below, it talks about secrets.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/12/16/businessinsider-here-are-all-the-apple-secrets-revealed-by-alleged-inside-trader-2010-12.DTL (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/12/16/businessinsider-here-are-all-the-apple-secrets-revealed-by-alleged-inside-trader-2010-12.DTL)

& insider trading charges, complaint against him (http://www.businessinsider.com/alleged-inside-traders-had-codenames-for-the-ipad-2010-12)

People these days can never trust them anymore. Makes you think where this site get's their "rumored" intel from. The plot thickens. You better be careful or the FBI might be knocking on your door too.

But I'm sure they know the secrets from Apple Employees or insider trade people & purposely fabricate the details on here so they wouldn't face criminal charges. Oh I just pin pointed my question. I love cracking the system every now and then.

76ShovelHead
Oct 31, 2011, 04:58 AM
Cougar, lol! - "out with the old, in with the new"

Cougar?! :eek:

Don't you mean: "In with the old, out with the new." ???

Ohhhhhhhhhh wait, I get your meaning too. I'm describing a "Manther" according to urban dictionary. :p

Anyways, the "bad" name calling should really be stopped. ;)

Four oF NINE
Oct 31, 2011, 05:00 AM
Mac OS X 10.8 Wolf

gnasher729
Oct 31, 2011, 05:01 AM

After 10.9 comes 10.10.

76ShovelHead
Oct 31, 2011, 05:04 AM

----------

Not yet... I have been saying OS Xi for OS11 :cool:

Xi is actually greek for "14." Roman numeral 11 is spelt "XI."

----------

Sound's like a naming-scheme more suited for Linux. :cool:

Seppentoni
Oct 31, 2011, 05:15 AM
OSX - Cumulus
OSX - Stratus
OSX - Cirrus

divinox
Oct 31, 2011, 05:23 AM
So.... this means that Apple is rushing to fight the rushed W8, which was rushed to fight the ipad? Awesome!

SilianRail
Oct 31, 2011, 05:24 AM
After 10.9 comes 10.10.10.10 is numerically inferior to 10.9, did you skip 3rd grade?

Alchemist
Oct 31, 2011, 05:27 AM
I'd go for any of:

10.8 Steve
10.8 Liger/Tigon
10.8 Sabre-Tooth Tiger

macnerd93
Oct 31, 2011, 05:28 AM
I do remember Steve Jobs saying OS X has set apple up for the next 20 years, so If things are still in that strategy it maybe quite a while before OS 11 :D

divinox
Oct 31, 2011, 05:29 AM
10.10 is numerically inferior to 10.9, did you skip 3rd grade?

...only when assuming base 10. then again, i doubt they teach beyond the decimal system in third grade.

sionharris
Oct 31, 2011, 05:35 AM
OS X Maru, boxed version only.

Lord Appleseed
Oct 31, 2011, 05:36 AM
I call Sabertooth Tiger!

Mountain Lion

"The cougar, also known as puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount or panther..." (Wikipedia)

All the same cat; so no, we'll not see a cougar or mountain lion OS.

Padraig
Oct 31, 2011, 05:44 AM

arn

Browsing Macrumors in Apple is a quick way to end up unemployed. Nor is it permitted - even at home - to be posting on these types of rumor sites.

Chipg
Oct 31, 2011, 05:44 AM
OS X Liger.

Ha ha ha ha

dampfdruck
Oct 31, 2011, 05:51 AM
I hope that 10.8 doesn't become too much of an itoy but more of a professional OS (again). In the meantime I would be very very very happy with more bug fixes for 10.7

jaedreth
Oct 31, 2011, 05:54 AM
I used to work for AppleCare in Austin, and I can tell you that Apple starts up its next operating system development as soon as the old one is out the door.

Apple doesn't waste time. This is why Apple has been able to deliver new operating systems every 2 years like clockwork, unlike Microsoft.

----------

Ha ha ha ha

Actually, I think it's about time for Apple to transition from wild cats to domesticated cats.

Mac OS X Mau, Mac OS X Manx, Mac OS X Black Cat, Mac OS X Tabby

*JOKING*

jowie
Oct 31, 2011, 05:55 AM
I'm just holding out hope for 10.6.9 iCloud edition :o

Would love to upgrade to Lion but can't :(

Seppentoni
Oct 31, 2011, 05:57 AM
There will be several Versions of 10.8

OS X Home
OS X Home Premium
OS X Professional
OS X Ultimate

:D:eek:

Renzatic
Oct 31, 2011, 06:00 AM
...we'll not see a cougar or mountain lion OS.

Such a shame. I'd love to call up Apple tech support after buying OSX Cougar, and say...

"Yo, Apple! Sup, brah? So me and my bros, we like went out and bought Madden '13 to play on his Xbox, and we saw this thing you made called Cougar or something. So me and my bros, we were like 'awesome'. So we got it, and...yeah, dude...we haven't seen hot older chick one show up yet. I just got through eating all this viagra my bro Brandon stole from his stepdad, and I don't want this thing I'm sportin' to go to waste on nothing, if you know what I'm saying. So if the totally smokin' moms don't start showing up, like, post haste or something, I'm gonna kick your ass, and get my money back. You got me, brah?"

...but if they decide not to go with Cougar, then I'll accept OSX Fluffykins. That's the next best thing.

ZipZap
Oct 31, 2011, 06:00 AM
Maybe they should utilize all of their resources to fix Lion instead of working on a major release.

Apple, here's a thought...Make what you have work properly.

dampfdruck
Oct 31, 2011, 06:05 AM
Maybe they should utilize all of their resources to fix Lion instead of working on a major release.

Apple, here's a thought...Make what you have work properly.

I agree. 10.7 is very buggy.

foidulus
Oct 31, 2011, 06:06 AM
Looks like the hits from 10.8 are about double the hits from 10.7. Is this attributed to the increase in traffic from Apple to MR or the number of people testing it.

Do you know arn ? Has Apple been visiting MR more lately ?

May very well have to do with the death of Steve Jobs, probably a lot of Apple ppl checking MR for more info on that.

scottishwildcat
Oct 31, 2011, 06:10 AM

Why would you do that when all you need to do is type a couple of letters of the app name into Spotlight, though?

I don't mind the concept of Launchpad. But the current implementation is terrible. It took me over an hour to arrange all my apps the way I wanted to into folders etc, most of which was spent chasing flying icons around the screen, dealing with the arbitrary too-small limit on number of apps per folder, and manually sorting things into alphabetical order, which is ridiculous in this day and age. Then I have to do it again every time I install a new app.

I gave up on it after about a day.

RobertMartens
Oct 31, 2011, 06:11 AM

no duh? don't you mean duh?

marcusj0015
Oct 31, 2011, 06:20 AM
After 10.9 comes 10.10.

And at that point they'll just adopt Ubuntu names :(

*LTD*
Oct 31, 2011, 06:27 AM
Smart money says they already have OS X running nicely on an A-series based Mac.

Shaun, UK
Oct 31, 2011, 06:30 AM
I agree. 10.7 is very buggy.

That's probably because all their best programmers are working on iOS instead.

Eventually OSX and iOS will merge into one. Either 10.8 or 10.9 will be that final version.

carlemil
Oct 31, 2011, 06:40 AM
Everyone is talking about Lion as was it a terrible vista, speed clogging, OS.

Am I the only one who has seen speed increasment over Snow Leopard, and just experienced an all together OS improvement?

----------

Why would you do that when all you need to do is type a couple of letters of the app name into Spotlight, though?

I don't mind the concept of Launchpad. But the current implementation is terrible. It took me over an hour to arrange all my apps the way I wanted to into folders etc, most of which was spent chasing flying icons around the screen, dealing with the arbitrary too-small limit on number of apps per folder, and manually sorting things into alphabetical order, which is ridiculous in this day and age. Then I have to do it again every time I install a new app.

I gave up on it after about a day.

The only thing I find problematic about Launchpad is that you can't choose which apps not to be included in launchpad, and that it is to easy to click outside of an app area, resulting in launchpad returning to the desktop, and you have to open up launchpad again.

igazza
Oct 31, 2011, 06:40 AM
I think Apple are done with big cats, Lions are at the top of the food chain etc.

chemenski
Oct 31, 2011, 06:41 AM
New features would be cool, but I want them to focus on fixing the issues in Lion first.

Maybe a clean install may fix these (yet to try), but the personal problems I find are Memory Management, Mission Control Freezing and this:

Lyk Srsly¿

Hinza
Oct 31, 2011, 06:43 AM
How awesome would it be if the called there next release Nyan Cat! I know copyright issues would make that impossible but it would still be awesome :P

gyorpb
Oct 31, 2011, 06:46 AM
"The cougar, also known as puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount or panther..." (Wikipedia)

All the same cat; so no, we'll not see a cougar or mountain lion OS.Meh. The leopard is also known as panther, and snow leopard is snow panther in other languages. Leopard, Puma and and Panther were all OS X code names, so double use of a name is no impediment, thus far.

Apple should have named 10.7 Clouded Leopard, though.

phpmaven
Oct 31, 2011, 06:46 AM
This is news? :rolleyes:

wiz329
Oct 31, 2011, 06:47 AM

Lion is a great release with a lot of awesome feature. Mission control (though it still needs a few tweaks) and 64 bit system-wide capabilities, just to name a couple.

However, Launchpad is not one of them. How about using stacks? Or better yet Alfred, quicksilver, or even spotlight? There are a million better ways to launch an application. iOS and OSX may be destined to merge, but I think Apple jumped the gun on this one.

Also, I don't think the user who posted about going back to SL roots is totally clueless. SL made a lot of big improvements to Leopard (especially in the stability department), without reducing much functionality at all.
Now, granted, Lion is still in the first couple of point stages, but I've had SL from the GM release, and I never had as many problems with it as I have had with Lion.
Add to that the fact that Apple has pretty much crippled any users who want to use full screen with multiple screens.

...I guess I wouldn't mind Apple taking a page out of their SL book.

kristoffer4
Oct 31, 2011, 06:48 AM
I hope like Snow Leopard they focus on under the hood improvements. :)

kevin2i
Oct 31, 2011, 06:50 AM

Launchpad isn't the curse some whine about.

But nothing 'beats' cmd+spacebar > first letters of a program's name.
You can open 'apps' like that too. :D

musicdude2013
Oct 31, 2011, 06:50 AM
Yay for Leopard SP 3!

wiz329
Oct 31, 2011, 06:54 AM
Everyone is talking about Lion as was it a terrible vista, speed clogging, OS.

Am I the only one who has seen speed increasment over Snow Leopard, and just experienced an all together OS improvement?

There are a lot of improvements that came with Lion. To be clear, Lion is definitely no vista. Whoever is saying that clearly never used vista. However, (at least in my experience) it has had more bugs than I am accustomed to seeing in OS X.

Launchpad isn't the curse some whine about.

But nothing 'beats' cmd+spacebar > first letters of a program's name.
You can open 'apps' like that too. :D

Enter Alfred. (or Quicksilver). Spotlight has a slight lag, since it has to search through ALL the files in the index.

Digitalclips
Oct 31, 2011, 06:57 AM
Lioness

apolloa
Oct 31, 2011, 07:00 AM
Another post for 'what's the point of this story'?

They will have the iPhone 6 and maybe 7 in development, it's kinda what the company does, makes and develops things..

Instead of posting a pointless news article, why not see if you can dig up some rumours about it's features and how the interface will look MacRumors?

Stella
Oct 31, 2011, 07:07 AM
I used to work for AppleCare in Austin, and I can tell you that Apple starts up its next operating system development as soon as the old one is out the door.

Apple doesn't waste time. This is why Apple has been able to deliver new operating systems every 2 years like clockwork, unlike Microsoft.[COLOR="#808080"]

Microsoft work on the next version of windows before the current one is finished.

The reason why microsoft aren't on time is (1) too ambitious (2) they are much more open about their shipping dates.

---

Lion is the worse OSX yet since Panther IMO ( Panther was the first OSX I really really liked - smoother / better performance / refined)- mainly due to its GUI changes, a few:
(1) LaunchPad? A mess of cluttered icons of all gathered applications.. Not *much* different that having a 'shortcut' to Applications. quicker to use Spotlight or alternatives such as LaunchBar to open the application you want.
(2) Auto hiding scroll bars - thank god you can turn off the automatic hiding of scroll bars - Scroll Bars that hide automatically are a GUI mess - you can't see at a glance if there are more items in a combo box.
(3) only one desktop allowed in full screen applications
(4) Horrid and pointless skins on iCal and AddressBook ( its not the 80s, the vast majority of people know what a computerized calendar and Address Book are ) which make them totally inconsistent with the rest of the GUI / Apple provided applications. Fortunately there's 'hacks' out there to remove the skins.

Some things that work on a small device do not work on a full desktop O/S.

themoffster
OSX 10.8 Vista

G-Force
It's way too early to start talking about the looks. I'm 100% sure the current builds look exactly the same als Lion.

macadam212
Oct 31, 2011, 07:11 AM
Mac OS X Ginger

Navdakilla
Oct 31, 2011, 07:12 AM
Still am not a fan of launchpad, but meh whatever, i'll live

The Phazer
Oct 31, 2011, 07:13 AM
Hopefully it will be less of a catastrophe than 10.7.

And I really hope we don't have to wait a year for the massive improvements 10.7 requires to be usable.

Phazer

sennekuyl
Oct 31, 2011, 07:16 AM
This is news? :rolleyes:
No. It's a talking point.

samcraig
Oct 31, 2011, 07:18 AM

arn

To be fair Arn - they are coming here to find out if they're on schedule for 10.8 ;)

miniroll32
Oct 31, 2011, 07:20 AM
OS 10.8 features;

Siri for Mac
iMessage ("Awesome killer app!")
Newsstand
iBooks
Minimal file system; everything becomes reliant on Launchpad
ARM support

Whether many of those are good remains to be seen, but in typical Apple fashion, they'll dress them up as being significant upgrades.

GenesisST
OS X Lion S :D

Yeah, we all know that the lioness does all the work while the lion sleeps all day... So it will be faster, hence the S

Reminds me of this: http://www.spaceavalanche.com/2011/08/30/the-savanna

Stella
The only thing I find problematic about Launchpad is that you can't choose which apps not to be included in launchpad, and that it is to easy to click outside of an app area, resulting in launchpad returning to the desktop, and you have to open up launchpad again.

Try LaunchPad-Control (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39917/launchpad-control) ( link to MacUpdate - LaunchPad Control Info and Download page)

GenesisST
Oct 31, 2011, 07:25 AM

Not a fan of the keyboard, are you? :-) Try command+space, type a few letters from the name of you app. (ok, "Install Xcode.app" got on my nerves though...)

My dock is mostly the annoying thing that comes up when i mouse my mouse down too much...

snowbrdr1
Oct 31, 2011, 07:31 AM
I've never had any problems with OSX Lion. Then again before i got my 2011 MBP i was running OSX Tiger on a PPC G5 so I've never even done work on SL.

andy721
Oct 31, 2011, 07:36 AM
I'd go for any of:

10.8 Steve
10.8 Liger/Tigon
10.8 Sabre-Tooth Tiger

So you're saying we should go back in time where there was Sabre tooth tigers, or another cat at the same food chain as lion if not higher possibly lower of the food chain? or something I don't want to say because it might be offensive but you get the idea.

Try again.

SilianRail
Oct 31, 2011, 07:41 AM
[QUOTE=mp0890;13759146]Why does anyone with 10.8 need to get on MacRumors?[COLOR="#808080"]To troll AidenShaw? :D

andy721
Oct 31, 2011, 07:45 AM
Not a fan of the keyboard, are you? :-) Try command+space, type a few letters from the name of you app. (ok, "Install Xcode.app" got on my nerves though...)

My dock is mostly the annoying thing that comes up when i mouse my mouse down too much...

Just do this http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20061201041424401

or burn it to a DVD fits on it perfectly.

Renzatic
Oct 31, 2011, 07:45 AM
...or mythical creatures a liger/tigon?

I have no idea why I'm even nitpicking this, but...

Ligers and Tiglons are real animals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liger)

JHankwitz
Oct 31, 2011, 07:46 AM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/31/apple-has-already-started-work-on-mac-os-x-10-8/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/hardware-150x81.png)

Apple has already begun work on the next major revision to Mac OS X which is being labeled as version 10.8.

Like DUH!

Anyone involved in creating and maintaining software of this magnitude knows that Apple is not only working on 10.8, but 10.9, 10.10, 10,11 and beyond.

A list of features/benefits is created and in constant flux, arranging what features need to be incorported in what order. Lines are drawn to show what ends up in each release. It would be impossible to create and manage an operating system if you concurrently worked on only one or two releases ahead.

bbyrdhouse
Oct 31, 2011, 07:47 AM
That good and everything but I wonder if they've started working on iWork '10
:rolleyes:

vvebsta
Oct 31, 2011, 07:49 AM
OS 10.8 Cheetah

Cheetah seems like a natural progression from Lion... make the best the fastest (because its driven by the cloud!)

andy721
Oct 31, 2011, 07:49 AM
I have no idea why I'm even nitpicking this, but I have a disease...

Ligers and Tiglons are myths (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liger)

Well I'll be damned but I suggest you see someone for nitpicking on forums. It's a disease.

Renzatic
Oct 31, 2011, 07:53 AM
What? Someone Is Wrong On The Internet Syndrome? I think just about everyone has a case of it here. :P

...and why would anyone downrank me for that post? WELL SCREW YOU FOR BEING INFORMATIVE, GUY!

Bubba Satori
Oct 31, 2011, 07:54 AM

No, it's going to accelerate.

Haven't you heard? We are entering the post PC, er, Mac era.

interrobang
Oct 31, 2011, 07:54 AM
Amazing how many people can't be bothered to look up the cat names that've already been used before suggesting them. :rolleyes:

G4DP
Oct 31, 2011, 07:57 AM
OSX Fatcat, if it ends up slowing down my imac just like Lion did. :p

No idea why people have voted this down, it slowed down my MacPro no ***** end. Start up is now a joke, takes well over 1 minute. Thats from a clean install, when every I use is loaded is takes nearer 2 minutes. Start up times for software has also seen a large increase. Although not a vast amount of time and does not really reduce productivity it is bl'dy annoying that as things progress they get slower.

Before all the apologists come and say it's something i'm doing it's not, as I have 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7 all running on the same machine. All have the same software on them. 10.6 is the fastest to start up to a fully working desktop.

Apple managed to break something that was fixed.

CrzyCanuck72
Oct 31, 2011, 07:59 AM
If Apple continues the iOSification of OS X, I may be stuck on Snow Leopard forever. I want to manage my own files and versioning, thank you very much.

robbieduncan
Oct 31, 2011, 08:00 AM
OS 10.8 Cheetah

Cheetah seems like a natural progression from Lion... make the best the fastest (because its driven by the cloud!)

OSX 10.0 was codenamed Cheetah.

gkpm
Oct 31, 2011, 08:02 AM
Looking forward to OSX Nyan Cat

vvebsta
Oct 31, 2011, 08:04 AM
I really love Lion, I don't understand why people complain so much. Yes, I've noticed a little bit of a memory leak, but I'm sure they'll fix that. And no, I couldn't ever go back to Snow Leopard.

Having said that, I could totally see them transition to bird names (which would be cool, but their implementation of cat names was just genius –it gave the name a cool factor you just don't get with "Vista"). But it seems like they're ditching all that cutesy stuff that started this beautiful platform. They've scratched out the "Mac" in Mac OS X, and they no longer have the awesome intro movies that gave youtube millions of hits, all while rapidly progressing to a more streamlined experience.

Apple, the weird, fun-loving, quirky-little-think-different company is dropping all that for a professional image with simple, sleek notebooks, today's pop-culture(think lady gaga, and all the other things the youth's are into) and boring professionalism (no more white macbook :( ). It's sad that they say the best days of Apple are ahead, but everything that established this brand is departing.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm sure they're more great apple products to come, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that all the little things that defined them, the quirky things that made using a mac so enjoyable, so different, is happening to leave us. So no, it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped the naming all-together in favor of a more "streamlined" naming technique such as "Windows 7."

Whats next to go: Startup chime. :(

I agree, I could never go back to Snow Leopard. But I think this professionalism you're seeing happens to all companies when they start to mature. But I don't think the quirky little things will ever go away (at least I hope not), like take for example the wiggle effect when you rearrange the iPhone apps (you can even do it in launch pad, no reason... just for fun).

huntercr
Oct 31, 2011, 08:04 AM
No love for 10.8 Lion-O ?

/snarf

reel2reel
Oct 31, 2011, 08:09 AM

Ironic that you bash others as "clueless" when your point-of-view is so limited. Lion is the most useless Mac OS upgrade, period. It's dumbed down. If that makes you happy, then good for you!

I'm still waiting for a breakthrough UI and I'm sure Apple will be the ones to do it. Lion is far from it, though. It's just Snowleopard with some features taken out and some candy for the kids and soccer moms added in. If you think Lion is the future, you've got to think bigger, bud.

Sackvillenb
Oct 31, 2011, 08:13 AM
Aw, no tidbits on what 10.8 may contain! Well, in general I like Lion.

But what always gets on my nerves is when Apple removes a feature... when they remove something that was perfectly fine, for no apparent reason. And these things are usually, small, specific things, but small specific things I use frequently. for example, the bounce feature in Mail. Or, the file compression feature in preview for images (in the old an new preview, for example, you can adjust the compression rate and file size for jpegs... and in the old preview, it actually told you what the new file size would be, and in the new preview, it doesn't! What's up with that! How useful is compressing a jpeg when you have no clue how big the resulting file will be!).

The ironic thing is that it would take less time for Apple to leave an existing feature in than it would take to remove it. C'mon Apple. Don't mess with us for 10.8.

gramirez2012
Oct 31, 2011, 08:19 AM
If 10.5 Leopard -> 10.6 Snow Leopard, then 10.7 Lion -> 10.8 Mountain Lion?

tigres
Oct 31, 2011, 08:29 AM
Hope 10.8 brings back the power.

Because I find absolutely no use whatsoever with 10.7/Lion, in fact couple that with iCloud (which is not compatible with 10.6.8) and you have the worst experience out of Apple that I have personally used.

Go ahead and vote this down, it's qft.

Winter Charm
Oct 31, 2011, 08:31 AM
Mac OS X 10.8: LOLCAT

Mac OS 10.9 = NyanCat

Discoverer
Oct 31, 2011, 08:34 AM
I wonder if 10.8 won't run on Core 2 Duo Macs because of "technical limitations".

anberlinairlift
Oct 31, 2011, 08:40 AM
Maybe they'll start naming them after bears. Mac OS X Black Bear. I kinda like the ring of that.

miniroll32
Oct 31, 2011, 08:40 AM
I wonder if 10.8 won't run on Core 2 Duo Macs because of "technical limitations".

Not because of technical limitations, but to force users to upgrade their hardware ;) Logic Pro 8, "apparently" isn't supported by Lion, and yet a user can easily open the application up by simply searching through a few folders.

markbyrn
Oct 31, 2011, 08:42 AM
I think it will be OS X Lion SP 1

adder7712
Oct 31, 2011, 08:46 AM
I wonder if 10.8 won't run on Core 2 Duo Macs because of "technical limitations". I'll probably have a new Mac by the time it releases (2013 is my guess). :p

Yellowstone2012
Oct 31, 2011, 08:51 AM
Well can't say as I blame them for starting on 10.8; For me, Lion is unstable (sluggish) so I went back to Snow Leopard and it was amazing.

I like lion, but hate that they removed features. (minimize toolbar, better finder, etc)

Bring it on, either 10.8 or iOS X

cvaldes
Oct 31, 2011, 08:53 AM
If 10.5 Leopard -> 10.6 Snow Leopard, then 10.7 Lion -> 10.8 Mountain Lion?
Nah, OS X 10.1 was codenamed "Puma" (which is the same thing as a mountain lion).

dexthageek
Oct 31, 2011, 08:55 AM
DUH!! Of course they have already started working on the next version of OSX. It wouldn't surprise me if they were working on it before Lion even shipped.

z3r0
Oct 31, 2011, 09:02 AM
Yes, please! I don't like the melding of iOS (mobile) and OS X (desktop) metaphors. They should be separate, if not at least have options to turn the features off. Not a fan of how fullscreen is implemented, the login screen (prefer Snow Leopard's), Launchpad, Versions, Autosave etc...

jonnysods
Oct 31, 2011, 09:03 AM
A Snow Lion type revision would be good. Lion is a little more bloated than SL, they need to take some of that out and give back some resources to my apps.

mdriftmeyer
Oct 31, 2011, 09:03 AM
WebKit already has #define up to OS 10.9.

Johnchapin
Oct 31, 2011, 09:04 AM
Our cats (2) even as adults, are known as kittens.

Aperture 3 should be known as "We know how to crop now!"

Asclepio
Oct 31, 2011, 09:04 AM
Mac OSux

Eriamjh1138@DAN
Oct 31, 2011, 09:06 AM
I look forward to 10.8 Ceiling Cat
http://www.ceilingcat.com/img/ceilingcat.jpg
Cover your web cams.

Lion added few useful features for me except dropping PowerPC support, which was not something I preferred.

Unless Apple starts accelerating OSX development, I don't expect another major release until late 2012. But as long as Apple sticks to $29 upgrade fees, I'll still buy them.

scoobydoo99
Oct 31, 2011, 09:07 AM
It's the same in my industry; sites publish these amazing stories saying Sony are working on the PS4. Of course they are; they'll likely be working on the basic ideas of it while the PS3 is launching. Same goes for Microsoft and whatever 360 successor they're working on.

In order to stay at the top of your game you need a roadmap greater than your next product; you need to see past that.

Exactly. This isn't really "news" or even a "rumor". It's pretty much a waste of space. Apple "already started work on OS X 10.8"?? OF COURSE they have!

BTW, for MacRumors to say that "lion" seems like it's "naturally" the end of the big cat naming convention is ludicrous. Upon what basis could that be said? There was no stated heirarchy or progression for their big cat names. No rule that says each must be bigger or more fierce than the last. Different big cats have different abilities. Personally, I like pumas better than lions :)

thillesheim
Oct 31, 2011, 09:09 AM
Hopefully it incorporates that touch screen iMac Apple patented.

iSee
Oct 31, 2011, 09:09 AM
Of course they are.
It would be mind boggling if they weren't working on 10.8 now -- and hadn't been since before 10.7 was shipped.
In fact, Apple is working on the next versions of almost all their products.

mrockm01
Oct 31, 2011, 09:13 AM
Mac OSX Version 10.8 Nyan Cat

the8thark
Oct 31, 2011, 09:14 AM
While it is trivial to falsify these records, the requests originated from Apple, Inc. IP addresses and surrounding areas.

Never say never. People will say anything for a few page hits or their face/website in the web news. So yeah nothing is beneath these people.

But if what you say is true then it's about right. 10.8 hope it's a good one.

ThunderSkunk
Oct 31, 2011, 09:22 AM
Coooool. As much as I like OS X, within a couple years they're going to be done with 10.9, and I can't wait to see what they've been dreaming up for OS XI all this time (or if you consider iOS OS XI, then OS XII)...

Schmitty11
Oct 31, 2011, 09:23 AM

OSX canary :D

taeclee99
Oct 31, 2011, 09:33 AM
Isn't it obvious? 10.8 Snow Lion.

mbh
Oct 31, 2011, 09:33 AM
Mac OS X 10.8: Hello Kitty!

guzhogi
Oct 31, 2011, 09:34 AM
Coooool. As much as I like OS X, within a couple years they're going to be done with 10.9, and I can't wait to see what they've been dreaming up for OS XI all this time (or if you consider iOS OS XI, then OS XII)...

Why will 10.9 be the end? They had 10.4.11, remember? And no, that was not the same as 10.5.1.

MarkBubba
Oct 31, 2011, 09:36 AM
OS X Calico.:D

mungo2k
Oct 31, 2011, 09:37 AM
To celebrate the time when Thunderbolt becomes useful to the masses, the next iteration should be OS X 10.8 Thundercat...

MarkBubba
Oct 31, 2011, 09:37 AM
I think it will be OS X Lion SP 1

No, this is NOT Microsoft!

mrgraff
Oct 31, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hardly surprising considering that 10.8 is mentioned in the 10.7.1 & 10.7.2 EULA

jhende7
Oct 31, 2011, 09:42 AM
Lion is the worse OSX yet since Panther IMO ( Panther was the first OSX I really really liked - smoother / better performance / refined)- mainly due to its GUI changes, a few:
(1) LaunchPad? A mess of cluttered icons of all gathered applications.. Not *much* different that having a 'shortcut' to Applications. quicker to use Spotlight or alternatives such as LaunchBar to open the application you want.
(2) Auto hiding scroll bars - thank god you can turn off the automatic hiding of scroll bars - Scroll Bars that hide automatically are a GUI mess - you can't see at a glance if there are more items in a combo box.
(3) only one desktop allowed in full screen applications
(4) Horrid and pointless skins on iCal and AddressBook ( its not the 80s, the vast majority of people know what a computerized calendar and Address Book are ) which make them totally inconsistent with the rest of the GUI / Apple provided applications. Fortunately there's 'hacks' out there to remove the skins.

Some things that work on a small device do not work on a full desktop O/S.

Wow, I wasn't going to post in this thread, but this ridiculous post has coaxed me out.

1) Launchpad is optional, nobody is forcing you by gunpoint to use it to launch your apps compared to more traditional methods such as dock, finder or spotlight.

Personally, I find it useful to launch apps that aren't in my dock, when I don't want to use the keyboard to use indexed based search launchers such as spotlight or Alfred. There is nothing "messy" at all about it. It's just a grid of apps that you can click.

2) Auto-hiding scroll bars is the best thing to happen to the computer interface in a long time. With multi-touch scrolling, scroll bars are completely redundant if you ask me; not to mention UGLY. As for combo boxes, you simply have to touch the track pad or mouse for the scroll bar to pop up and indicate where you are in a list. Seems like a non-issue to me.

3) I don't even get this argument, so maybe it's valid? Seems self explanatory that a full screen app would occupy a sole desktop. Unless your referring to multiple monitors, and not desktops.

4) Two apps have a different skin and this makes Lions "the worst OS X since panther"? Please. While I agree it was a silly design choice it's quite a subjective point to make.

It's like "Lion used some kind of space photo for the desktop background, but I prefer the jungle..I think Lion is broken"

You'll have to do better then that to convince me and others that Lion is a poor operating system.

Darth.Titan
Oct 31, 2011, 09:53 AM
Why will 10.9 be the end? They had 10.4.11, remember? And no, that was not the same as 10.5.1.

For some reason, many people just fail to recognize that software versions are not really decimal numbers and shouldn't be expected to progress as such. 10.9 could very well be followed by 10.10 (no that's not the same as 10.1, this is not math class). They could even skip 10.9 altogether and go straight to 11.

This should be obvious just by looking at a version number like 10.7.3. Anyone here ever seen two decimals in a mathematical number before? No? Then why do software versions often have two decimals?

Because software versions are not decimal numbers and shouldn't be expected to behave as such. Software versions are most commonly read as "Ten dot seven dot three" ass opposed to "Ten point 7 point three" for this reason.

I apologize for the rant.

P.S. The Nyan Cat joke stopped being funny after about the 3rd or 4th repetition. Please at least scan the thread before you post.

wikus
Oct 31, 2011, 09:56 AM
Amazing how many people can't be bothered to look up the cat names that've already been used before suggesting them. :rolleyes:

these are the recent apple zealots I mainly have trouble understanding. I wish I had a time machine so we could go back about 9 years, before the ipod got big and the mac community was overrun by ignorant part-time fans. I used to be fine saying in public I'm a mac user, but now its just an embarrassment.

JRoDDz
Oct 31, 2011, 09:57 AM
How about fixing 10.7 first?

Plymouthbreezer
Oct 31, 2011, 09:57 AM
Glad to see the behind-the-scenes work is not slowing... And that 10.8 is a high priority even in the face of iOS/phones!

Frozzie
Oct 31, 2011, 09:58 AM
Not surprising it has already started, it isn't something that is quick to build.

I think it should be called OS X Phoenix. ;)

mdriftmeyer
Oct 31, 2011, 10:00 AM

What does a point.point release of 10.4.11 have to do with 10.9.0?

theSeb
Oct 31, 2011, 10:01 AM
Sky Lion, for the cloud. Would sound great.

You mean a griffin?

Michaelgtrusa
Oct 31, 2011, 10:03 AM
The gpu drivers in 10.7 beed to be updated.

macdaddy57
Oct 31, 2011, 10:03 AM
Let's hope it will be less iOS-like. I still use my iMac and MBA, more than either my iPad or iPhone to be honest, and a Mac is not a mobile device. Don't treat its UI as though it were.

theSeb
Oct 31, 2011, 10:07 AM

arn
They're probably coming here to steal all of our awesome ideas.

----------

Let's hope it will be less iOS-like. I still use my iMac and MBA, more than either my iPad or iPhone to be honest, and a Mac is not a mobile device. Don't treat its UI as though it were.

I have no issues with using my Mac as though it's not a mobile device. I still fail to see how the Lion UI does this.

shartypants
Oct 31, 2011, 10:16 AM
Why is this a surprise, I'm sure they are working on 10.9 to some degree. I am curious what they might name 10.8 since all the big cat names seem to be taken.

wikus

You asked for it.

illustrator, indesign, etc. will know exactly how annoying it is to switch to a window in a different application.

4) The sidebar icons.

5) RAM optimization.

Leopard.

8) iTunes bloat.

While I'm at it; I hate iTunes. It'd be fine if it werent such a bloated peice of **** if it didnt include all the crap for itunes music store, support for ipods, iphones, ipads, app store, movies, etc. It'd be really great if apple could put together a simple application with a library JUST for the purpose of listening to music. For now, I use Vox.

9) TRIM Support.

Apple has been selling laptops with SSD drives for about 4 years now, and STILL hasnt added support for TRIM, something that should have been standard the day they started selling those macbook airs with SSDs. Fast forward to today, and there is NO EXCUSE for not implementing this. Windows has had TRIM for years. Where is Apple today considering their stance on being cutting edge and innovative and all that propaganda ********?

AppleDroid

spacebar + cmd, type photo, wait .1 seconds, hit enter. Launch Photoshop. Launchpad is useless.

Jerome Morrow
If you build it he (or it) will come :)

shompa
Oct 31, 2011, 10:18 AM
INTEL 10.8

The Intel thing is the most interesting to me.

MacRumors have reported about ARM Macbook air prototypes.
In April macbidouille reported that Apple was working on an ARM version of OSX. (indicating that 10.7 would be the last X86 OS). The new OS would be more like iOS.

Macbidouille has an excellent record of the few rumors they publish.

BlkBear
Oct 31, 2011, 10:18 AM

Why do you say they will be done with 10.9? In software versioning 11.0 does not necessarily follow 10.9. Software is typically versioned using a major.minor.fix notation. The major version number does not typically change unless there is a major rewrite of some or all of the software, or there are significant incompatible changes. There can certainly be 10.10, 10.11, 10.12 releases.

stockscalper
Oct 31, 2011, 10:19 AM
10.7 Lion, the Vista of OS X.

AppleDroid
Oct 31, 2011, 10:19 AM
Why do you say they will be done with 10.9? In software versioning 11.0 does not necessarily follow 10.9. Software is typically versioned using a major.minor.fix notation. The major version number does not typically change unless there is a major rewrite of some or all of the software, or there are significant incompatible changes. There can certainly be 10.10, 10.11, 10.12 releases.

While true I hope they give us the "next best thing" before we hit 10.10 ;)

ghostface147
Oct 31, 2011, 10:20 AM
10.8...Sabre Tooth Tiger!

wikus
Oct 31, 2011, 10:20 AM
1) Launchpad is optional, nobody is forcing you by gunpoint to use it to launch your apps compared to more traditional methods such as dock, finder or spotlight.

Personally, I find it useful to launch apps that aren't in my dock, when I don't want to use the keyboard to use indexed based search launchers such as spotlight or Alfred. There is nothing "messy" at all about it. It's just a grid of apps that you can click.

No, its not optional. Removing it from the dock does not disable it. Try downloading an application in the app store and youll see it rears its ugly head. I'd like to have it COMPLETELY removed from the OS.

I have the dock for applications i use most often, i dont need another method to get to my applications.

FroMann
Oct 31, 2011, 10:21 AM
Mountain Lion here we come.

ghostface147
Oct 31, 2011, 10:22 AM
spacebar + cmd, type photo, wait .1 seconds, hit enter. Launch Photoshop. Launchpad is useless.

For you it is, but I find it very useful. I just click on the icon, launch the program. .1 seconds.

SVegard
Oct 31, 2011, 10:24 AM
I hope this one turns out better than the abhorent iOSX Lion. Terrible! I`m skipping Lion and hope for the next one to be worthy of the name OSX.....

Jerome Morrow
Oct 31, 2011, 10:24 AM
You asked for it.

4) The sidebar icons.

5) RAM optimization.

Leopard.

8) iTunes bloat.

9) TRIM Support.

Apple has been selling laptops with SSD drives for about 4 years now, and STILL hasnt added support for TRIM, something that should have been standard the day they started selling those macbook airs with SSDs. Fast forward to today, and there is NO EXCUSE for not implementing this. Windows has had TRIM for years. Where is Apple today considering their stance on being cutting edge and innovative and all that propaganda ********?

If you create something that even idiot can use, only idiot will use it - Common sense 101.

wiz329
Oct 31, 2011, 10:26 AM
You asked for it.

4) The sidebar icons.

5) RAM optimization.

Leopard.

8) iTunes bloat.

9) TRIM Support.

Apple does offer TRIM for their own SSDs. Also, you can enable TRIM support through a easy hack. But I do agree, Apple needs to start offering support for 3rd party SSDs.

Mission control does have some UI issues that need to get worked out (ie covering different desktops).

And add to the list fixing fullscreen with multiple monitors. IMO, the biggest problem I have with Lion.

JGowan
Oct 31, 2011, 10:27 AM
Apple is working Trojan Horse magic everywhere... getting us hooked on iOS features and sticking them into our computers. When Siri comes to our computers and special iTVs (after 40M iPhone 4Ss have been sold) — watch out, Apple will become a $200B a year company instead of that piddling $108B it had this year! The halo effect will be amazing as people jump to a Mac in record numbers! :)

topmounter
Oct 31, 2011, 10:30 AM
Since I don't have a basic understanding of decimals, or math for that matter, stories like this are why I check in at MacRumors daily.

mountains
Oct 31, 2011, 10:32 AM
Is this really turning into another bash Lion thread?

This rumor isn't very exciting though, I admit. OS X still exists and looks to be following the historical trend for OS X updates? Shocking!

MisterK
Oct 31, 2011, 10:32 AM

I hope they're just calling it 10.8 right now but it is actually enough of a change to warrant OS 11 (looks better than XI). I love Lion, but I would love to see Apple's answer to MS Metro. I just love when Apple does really big things. I remember how excited I was when OS X came out or when I first saw an iMac, iPod, iPhone, and iPad. 10 years with OS x has been awesome. I want Apple to show what the next 10 is going to look like.

ashoka8350
Oct 31, 2011, 10:33 AM
mountain lion

OSX 8 - Roaring Lion !!

PracticalMac
Oct 31, 2011, 10:37 AM
Now we know some Apple OS developers actually take a peak on MR, from time to time. ;)

----------

You asked for it.

4) The sidebar icons.

5) RAM optimization.

Leopard.

8) iTunes bloat.

9) TRIM Support.

10.8 Snow Lion. ...? BOO!

Thunderhawks
Oct 31, 2011, 10:40 AM

10.8 OMG Cat

Rum Tum Tugger seems to be the best choice reflecting many MR complainers:

The Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat:
If you offer him pheasant he would rather have grouse.
If you put him in a house he would much prefer a flat,
If you put him in a flat then he'd rather have a house.
If you set him on a mouse then he only wants a rat,
If you set him on a rat then he'd rather chase a mouse.

divinox
Oct 31, 2011, 10:44 AM
You asked for it.

4) The sidebar icons.

5) RAM optimization.

Leopard.

8) iTunes bloat.

9) TRIM Support.

Did you try the 3-finger Dock Expose swipe? Hardly perfect, but took care of most of my multi-tasking issues with Lion.

Stella
Oct 31, 2011, 10:45 AM
I gave some examples of why I think Lion has regressed on a GUI level. Those items are just some examples. Why skin iCal and address book like that? It adds nothing apart from inconsistency - and is widely disliked even on these boards. Consistency on a GUI is king.

Your response to item 4 - I said no such thing. What I did say is given all the changes in Lion, Lion has been my least favourite OS X since Panther.

When it comes to scroll bars automatically hiding - you have no visual indication of whether there are more items in a list - the 'click' count increases and makes the user have to do more work - i.e,. move the cursor instead said list box. Sure it may be more visually appealing having no scroll bars but at the decriment to the usability. This was highlighted also in Ars review of Lion.

Your right launch pad is optional but it feels like its been ported from IOS with no thought of how it can be used on a desktop environment.

I don't have to convince any one of anything - these are my personal views and whether you disagree or agree is entirely up to you.

:eek:
Wow, I wasn't going to post in this thread, but this ridiculous post has coaxed me out.

2) Auto-hiding scroll bars is the best thing to happen to the computer interface in a long time. With multi-touch scrolling, scroll bars are completely redundant if you ask me; not to mention UGLY. As for combo boxes, you simply have to touch the track pad or mouse for the scroll bar to pop up and indicate where you are in a list. Seems like a non-issue to me.

3) I don't even get this argument, so maybe it's valid? Seems self explanatory that a full screen app would occupy a sole desktop. Unless your referring to multiple monitors, and not desktops.

4) Two apps have a different skin and this makes Lions "the worst OS X since panther"? Please. While I agree it was a silly design choice it's quite a subjective point to make.

It's like "Lion used some kind of space photo for the desktop background, but I prefer the jungle..I think Lion is broken"

You'll have to do better then that to convince me and others that Lion is a poor operating system.

ipwnie
Oct 31, 2011, 10:46 AM
how about this macrumors

http://3rr0rists.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/10.9.jpg

http://3rr0rists.net/macintosh/mac-os-x-10-9-exist-in-this-world.html

macintologist
Oct 31, 2011, 10:47 AM
I want 10.6.9 - Snow Leopard with iCloud support :mad:

blue22
Oct 31, 2011, 10:54 AM
• 10.8 Tigger
• 10.8 Heathcliff
• 10.8 Garfield
• 10.8 Aristocat
• 10.8 Bigglesworth
• 10.8 Schrödinger
• 10.8 Siegfried/Roy
• 10.8 Freddy Cougar*

*Afterall, today is Halloween ;)

Corbin052198
Oct 31, 2011, 10:59 AM
Do you guys know how easy it is to fake a user agent? It's built into Safari, and plugins are available for every other web browser.

Macopotamus
Oct 31, 2011, 11:05 AM

you hope they stop development on the Mac? iOS simplicity is where the Mac is going.

JazzyGB1
Oct 31, 2011, 11:07 AM

You my friend are the 'clueless' one.
Launchpad is a gimmick - nothing more.
I have over 150 apps on my Mac and clicking the 'applications' folder shortcut in my dock opens up and displays (in grid view,) all my applications MUCH quicker than Launchpad does.
I can scroll through all the items in a matter of seconds instead of having to (slowly) swap from screen to scree hoping to spot the app i'm after.
Apps I use all the time are sat in my dock just a click away.
The converging of OSX and IOS is fine, but it should encompass only the good points.
All the icons on an iPhone aren't grey are they?
So if you think making all finder icons grey is good design, then you are a clueless moron and obviously don't have (as I do) a visually impaired person in your house. Colour icons in the finder are MUCH easier to navigate for everyone, but especially for those with poor eye sight.
if you want to 'copy' something from IOS...COPY THE COLOUR ICONS!!!
Even if Apple had given an option to 'enable' colour or not would have been simple and a much improved way of doing things.
Also Mission Control & Full screen apps are a mess - you can't even display 2 full screen apps on two separate screens.
If you use Mail in full screen mode and want to refer to a previous email, you have to come out of full screen mode to be able to read your incoming messages, which is just a pain in the arse.
Grey icons in iTunes and Mail are difficult to read.
Mail sidebar icons increase in size when you change the size of your icons in finder too.
Why they link those 2 is beyond me?
Disabling Front Row, severing compatibility with Rosetta and older apps.
The list goes on and on.
In my opinion Lion is the least cohesive OS Apple has ever released, which is why all my important Macs are still on 10.6.
I have used 10.7 on my laptop since its release in an attempt to 'acclimatise' to it. So far the only improvements are the new IOS Mail layout and the gestures for the Trackpad...but that's it!
if I could, I'd make Apple completely rewrite 10.7...its fragmented and ill conceived and It feels 'rushed' and more like a Windows OS than a Mac one!

srego
Oct 31, 2011, 11:07 AM
10.8 sounds me to "White Lion"...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZwntBneRbo8/TaiQQcBK31I/AAAAAAAABsk/9zVyRpZL8Bs/s1600/white_lion.jpg

Bearxor
Oct 31, 2011, 11:09 AM
Lion's the end of the line?! YOU'VE MISSED OUT THE BEST

OS X 10.8 - KEYBOARD CAT

Will the startup chime be replaced by the Keyboard Cat and will the Apple be a picture of Steve Jobs?

Play him out Keyboard Cat!

croooow
Oct 31, 2011, 11:13 AM
10.8 sounds me to "White Lion"...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZwntBneRbo8/TaiQQcBK31I/AAAAAAAABsk/9zVyRpZL8Bs/s1600/white_lion.jpg

Sounds like an 80's "hair metal" band

skellener
Oct 31, 2011, 11:24 AM
10.7 - Lion
10.8 - Witch
10.9 - Wardrobe

qtx43
Oct 31, 2011, 11:36 AM
And at that point they'll just adopt Ubuntu names :(If they're going that direction, they should adopt 'Toy Story' movie names (a Pixar/Disney property) just to annoy Debian.

autrefois
Oct 31, 2011, 11:39 AM
Since Lion is the king of the cats, I think for 10.8 a transition is needed towards another type of creature...aquatic mammals!

10.5 Leopard
10.6 Snow Leopard
10.7 Lion
10.8 Sea Lion
(end of OS X)

11.0 Whale
11.1 Humpback Whale
11.2 Dolphin
Etc.

heisetax
Oct 31, 2011, 11:39 AM

That said, I can't wait to get my [own] mac so I can be running Lion. Love versions. That is worth $130 any day. (yeah, I know it is only $30 in the Mac Store to upgrade.)

Doh!

My dock at the current time is displayed on a display that it not always on. Its my far left display of 5 that is also attached to my 17" MacBook Pro. So even when it is on it is usually switched to my other Mac.

I used DragStrip to launch my applications on my Mac for many years now. I had to stop using it when using Lion. Now I use DragThing for those activities. DragThing is like DragStrip in that it sets up your programs in a small window in different groups. Launchpad has been turned off at it is not needed by me. If things can be turned off & not have to be used then I am ok with that. There may be someone that likes these things.

This is the first Mac OS X update that I would by default turn off all of the changes if I had the choice. Then I'd turn the ones that I find useful for me one at a time. If I can get my Parallels DeskTop for the Mac that I have setup in Lion to work in SnowLeopard I'll probably upgrade back to Snow Leopard. That is bad to say that I am using Lion because my 64 bit XP Windows version was set up there & not moved from my Snow Leopard partition. Because I have a Mac Pro with 4 boot partitions on the 4 internals drives, all I have to do is to choose a different start up drive to use Mac OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

Many people will choose the security card when they say that one should be using Mac OS 10.7 & not Mac OS 10.6. I hope that is true. I need something for all of the anguish that Mac OS Lion causes.

For short 1 or 2 lines scrolls I have much better control using Mac OS 10.6 with its scroll arrows rather than only depending on using the scroll ring on my Kensington track ball. Tose ugly gray scroll bars without the useful scroll arrows is the single biggest feature or should I say lack of feature that makes Lion very frustrating for me. I can turn on the scroll bars for viewing all of the time. But nothing can be done as far as color & to put the arrows back where they belong.

I've never had much luck using SpotLight for much of anything. You'll have to give some instructions on how to use it.

Ddyracer
Oct 31, 2011, 11:40 AM

Mac OS X Lynx. There more smaller than what apples history went for but it's sounds good enough.

*LTD*
Oct 31, 2011, 11:44 AM
Rum Tum Tugger seems to be the best choice reflecting many MR complainers:

The Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat:
If you offer him pheasant he would rather have grouse.
If you put him in a house he would much prefer a flat,
If you put him in a flat then he'd rather have a house.
If you set him on a mouse then he only wants a rat,
If you set him on a rat then he'd rather chase a mouse.

Very well put. We're so spoiled.

justinfreid
Oct 31, 2011, 11:46 AM
Tighter integration with iCloud and further iOS / OS X unification must feature prominently in 10.8 - Lion seems to be setting the stage for these changes.
Apple seems to be coming to terms with the fact that it has to fight Google on Google's territory (that is, in the sky, so to speak) on both the desktop and mobile fronts.

arkmannj
Oct 31, 2011, 12:04 PM
no surprise here. I'd be more surprised if I had heard that Apple hadn't already been working on 10.8. In fact I'd guess that at least "on paper" work had started on it long before the release of 10.7. Most large development projects overlap to some extent, and they probably even have some goals (and brain storming) set for 10.9+. I don't think they just work on and plan for the short term.

dj-anon
Oct 31, 2011, 12:06 PM
Mac OS X 10.8 Lolicat

CaryMacGuy
Oct 31, 2011, 12:08 PM
I think space phenomena would be logical...They seem to like space (based on their default wallpaper for 10.5/10.6/10.7

Also I wonder if they would decide to ship one OS for all devices...iOS 6 runs on Macs, iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. Then they can have OS X apps run in a "Classic" mode.

The Past
Oct 31, 2011, 12:13 PM
10.8 is already out there. It is called iOS 5. If they push the OS anymore in the direction of iOS ........:mad:

MacAddict1978
Oct 31, 2011, 12:17 PM

And a concise list of things WRONG with OS X:

4) The sidebar icons.

5) RAM optimization.

Leopard.

8) iTunes bloat.

9) TRIM Support.

Apple has been selling laptops with SSD drives for about 4 years now, and STILL hasnt added support for TRIM, something that should have been standard the day they started selling those macbook airs with SSDs. Fast forward to today, and there is NO EXCUSE for not implementing this. Windows has had TRIM for years. Where is Apple today considering their stance on being cutting edge and innovative and all that propaganda?

I don't know why you're getting voted down, because I rather agree with most of this.

Maybe not issues for 10.8 though... but for point releases of Lion.

Launch Pad is completely useless, but I don't see a need to have it removed. Just don't use it.

I'm finding Mission Control grows on me, but I feel Expose was at once time a simple and elegant solution and quick to access. I'd be happy if they just let me use Expose via function keys again. I never cared for Spaces before, but Mission Control has allowed me to find them more useful.

Now... EVERYTHING you said about Lion being a resource hog is very true. A lot of people with new systems might not feel it as much, but I sure do. Sometimes Lion is painful to use. I honestly have never had as many system hangs, app crashes, or needed to force a shut down since I used Windows 98! The last update eased some of the pain, but not all.

There was nothing particularly revolutionary about Lion that should have killed all the performance gains from Snow Leopard roll over and die. Lion really was a lot of lip gloss and make up. It wasn't like they introduced tons of new under the hood technologies as previously done in OS updates that were system wide changes.

All I really truly care about with 10.8 (as I'll be on a new system by then myself) is that they get rid of that UGLY DESKTOP CALENDAR LOOK OF ICAL.
This is the really important stuff. ;)

And I don't mind the IOS mix in the desk top if they are going to bring out a touch screen iMac or MacBook soon. Until then, it is a bit unnecessary.

Bearxor
Oct 31, 2011, 12:21 PM
10.8 is already out there. It is called iOS 5. If they push the OS anymore in the direction of iOS ........:mad:

Oh snap!

Cloudsurfer
Oct 31, 2011, 12:22 PM
OS X 10.8. Now with Quad core ARM support!:D

Taz Mangus
Oct 31, 2011, 12:27 PM

If it were me I would be on the phone with Apple trying to get these issues resolved.

HelveticaRoman
Oct 31, 2011, 12:28 PM
Cheshire Cat

THX1139
Oct 31, 2011, 12:32 PM
It's going to be called iOS because Apple is going to be consolidating all of their products into the mobile and entertainment markets now that Steve is gone. Future operating systems are going to become more an more like what runs on the iPhone. Mark my words.

Taz Mangus
Oct 31, 2011, 12:36 PM
Since Lion is the king of the cats, I think for 10.8 a transition is needed towards another type of creature...aquatic mammals!

10.5 Leopard
10.6 Snow Leopard
10.7 Lion
10.8 Sea Lion
(end of OS X)

11.0 Whale
11.1 Humpback Whale
11.2 Dolphin
Etc.

Apple could very well keep going after 10.9.X with 10.10.X, 10.11.X. There was a 10.4.10 so it is concievable that the numbering will remain 10.X.Y. I do think that 10.8 will be named Mountain Lion.

Stella
Oct 31, 2011, 12:38 PM
It's going to be called iOS because Apple is going to be consolidating all of their products into the mobile and entertainment markets now that Steve is gone. Future operating systems are going to become more an more like what runs on the iPhone. Mark my words.

Yup, its going to happen that way. Complete with a big walled garden.

Software that are controlled by a walled garden aren't as varied as those without restrictions.

At some point, the trend will go the opposite way - away from walled gardens. Technology / trends are cyclic.

gyorpb
Oct 31, 2011, 12:40 PM
Also I wonder if they would decide to ship one OS for all devices...iOS 6 runs on Macs, iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. Then they can have OS X apps run in a "Classic" mode.No.

Apple understand better than any other company that that is not the way to go. Just like shrinking down a desktop UI to make a mobile OS is a stupid idea (see: Windows CE and its ilk), blowing up a small screen UI for a desktop computer is a bad idea.

Apple never made a small version of the Mac OS, they always turned to OS's tuned to their environments. That won't change.

Sure, there will be cross-pollination, but no unification. It simply won't work.

What will happen, though, is a move away from the traditional hierarchical file system. And rightly so; ordinary users have no business mucking about with that kind of stuff. Apps and data will be tightly integrated. Apps will open and close as necessary, not explicitly by the user. Faster machines and faster storage media (SSD), blurring the distinction between working memory and long term storage, will help bring this about. Auto-save and versioning is the first manifestation of this revolution, and one of Apple's greatest challenges is making this transition as smooth as possible. The mechanisms for automatically opening and closing apps are in place in Lion, too. Expect Apple's core apps to start using them, soon.

.tsooJ

radiogoober
Oct 31, 2011, 12:41 PM
Also,

Apple needs to rename iCal to Calendar, Address Book to Contacts, etc. Keep the damn names the same. iOS names are better.

Retrostarscream
Oct 31, 2011, 12:42 PM
OS X 10.8 Ice cream sundae with a Lion on top :p

Inrianian
Oct 31, 2011, 12:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10_5_8; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.3 Safari/531.9)

Apple has already said that 10.7 Lion was their last version of OS X in one of their Keynotes. They'll be moving on to OS XI or OS 11 after Lion. I assume it'll be touch based, and look much more like iOS.

CaryMacGuy
Oct 31, 2011, 12:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10_5_8; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.3 Safari/531.9)

Apple has already said that 10.7 Lion was their last version of OS X in one of their Keynotes. They'll be moving on to OS XI or OS 11 after Lion. I assume it'll be touch based, and look much more like iOS.

Which Keynote and where is this said?

kristoffer4
Oct 31, 2011, 12:47 PM

They will still need something that works like 10.7
Snow Lion? I hope.

CaryMacGuy
Oct 31, 2011, 12:49 PM
No.

Apple understand better than any other company that that is not the way to go. Just like shrinking down a desktop UI to make a mobile OS is a stupid idea (see: Windows CE and its ilk), blowing up a small screen UI for a desktop computer is a bad idea.

Apple never made a small version of the Mac OS, they always turned to OS's tuned to their environments. That won't change.

Sure, there will be cross-pollination, but no unification. It simply won't work.

What will happen, though, is a move away from the traditional hierarchical file system. And rightly so; ordinary users have no business mucking about with that kind of stuff. Apps and data will be tightly integrated. Apps will open and close as necessary, not explicitly by the user. Faster machines and faster storage media (SSD), blurring the distinction between working memory and long term storage, will help bring this about. Auto-save and versioning is the first manifestation of this revolution, and one of Apple's greatest challenges is making this transition as smooth as possible. The mechanisms for automatically opening and closing apps are in place in Lion, too. Expect Apple's core apps to start using them, soon.

.tsooJ

Well what do you think about the idea of letting users run iOS iPad or iPhone apps in Mac OS X? Most of the core services are present in those devices. (except Core Motion).

*LTD*
Oct 31, 2011, 12:52 PM
OS X Massive Sense of Entitlement Cat.

A version designed specifically for MR forum-goers.

Comes pre-installed on an imaginary 128-core headless-Mac, sub-$800. Screw-driver and solder kit included.

Now with Rosetta!

It's a dream come true.

gyorpb
Oct 31, 2011, 12:56 PM
Well what do you think about the idea of letting users run iOS iPad or iPhone apps in Mac OS X? Most of the core services are present in those devices. (except Core Motion).iOS apps are designed with a touch interface in mind; Mac OS apps are designed with the mouse/trackpad interface in mind. The worst examples of each are the ones that are badly ported from the other side.

With multitouch trackpads slowly replacing the mouse as the primary OS interface, it'll become closer, but not the same.

.tsooJ

mrsir2009
Oct 31, 2011, 12:57 PM

Not going to happen. They didn't take steps towards iPadification only to chuck it away in the next OSX release. We all know what Apple's plans are for OSX in the future: iOS.

WeegieMac
Oct 31, 2011, 12:59 PM
Mountain Lion

As soon as I read this, that's the name that instantly came to mind.

Prior to release, if you'd asked anyone if the successor to Leopard would have been called Snow Leopard, you'd have been laughed at.

So Mountain Lion isn't quite so far fetched as some think.

Taz Mangus
Oct 31, 2011, 01:00 PM

If I remember correctly (and I could be wrong) during the keynote (2000 or 2001) where Steve Jobs was speaking about the transistion to OS X he said that he expects OS X to be the next Apple OS for next 20 years. That would mean that 10.7 is the half way point.