Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DustinDev47

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
I a have non-simple passcode, and apparently, I typed it in wrong when I set it. Now, I cannot figure out what I typed, and it's already disabled for 48 more minutes.

What do?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Change passcode via iCloud?

I don't believe you can do that. I just logged in to iCloud.com and couldn't find that option. Do you know that that option exists? In any case, generally speaking, changing passcodes usually requires entry of the existing passcode prior to entering the new passcode.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Doesn't the iPhone ask you to type in your new Passcode twice before it sets it, how did you type it incorrectly (twice incorrectly) without realizing it?

No you can not change your passcode via iCloud, once you activate findmyiphone, if it detects you have a passcode on your device, it will ask you to lock your phone using that same passcode (you can not create a new one).

And if you try to restore your phone via iTunes, its going to warn you that your device is passcode locked and you must type in your code before you're allowed to do a restore.

Congratulations, you know have (found)(I mean have) a $600 paper weight.

DustinDev47

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Doesn't the iPhone ask you to type in your new Passcode twice before it sets it, how did you type it incorrectly (twice incorrectly) without realizing it?

I'd like to know the same thing. Maybe auto-correct?

No you can not change your passcode via iCloud, once you activate findmyiphone, if it detects you have a passcode on your device, it will ask you to lock your phone using that same passcode (you can not create a new one).

Damnit.
And if you try to restore your phone via iTunes, its going to warn you that your device is passcode locked and you must type in your code before you're allowed to do a restore.

Maybe not if I use DFU mode or Recovery mode.

DustinDev47

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
It has nothing to do with memory, and yes it's my iPhone.

----------

Congratulations, you know have (found)(I mean have) a $600 paper weight.

Don't accuse me of being a thief.

If it weren't my phone, I wouldn't have access to the iCloud account that is synced with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will69

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
We have a guy here at work that loves complicated passwords that are very difficult to type. It actually reduces security. And what's more, nobody likes him. Hopefully your restore won't be as painful as you assume, and you'll have a lesson learned.

DustinDev47

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
We have a guy here at work that loves complicated passwords that are very difficult to type. It actually reduces security. And what's more, nobody likes him. Hopefully your restore won't be as painful as you assume, and you'll have a lesson learned.

Well, hopefully iCloud backs up automatically even when "iPhone is disabled"

If so, then restoring won't be a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.