Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, we noted that Apple is planning a number of enhancements to its online and retail store shopping offerings, perhaps most notably allowing retail store customers purchasing shelf-stocked accessories and other items to utilize a self-checkout option through the company's Apple Store iOS application.

One other enhancement that first rolled out last week is the ability for customers to place orders through Apple's online store and have them shipped to a local Apple retail store for pickup. The new feature is convenient for those who have difficulty receiving shipments at their homes or who wish to not utilize home or office delivery for some other reason.

The in-store pickup program launched as a pilot program at the three Apple retail stores located in San Francisco, but quickly expanded to include all sixteen stores in the San Francisco Bay Area.

apple_in_store_pickup_nyc.png

As noticed by AppleInsider, the program has expanded yet again, now offering support for Apple's four stores in New York City: the iconic Fifth Avenue store as well as the Upper West Side, West 14th Street, and Soho stores. The Soho store is currently undergoing renovation and expansion, and Apple is operating a temporary store a block and a half away from the permanent Soho location in the meantime.

Apple has given no indication on exactly how quickly it will expand the pickup program to all stores in the United States, and perhaps internationally. But with the program already expanding to include 20 stores in less than a week, it's clear that the company is rapidly filling out the pilot program with an eye toward offering in-store pickup at as many stores as possible heading into the holiday shopping season.

Article Link: In-Store Pickup for Apple Online Store Orders Expanded to New York City

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Certainly a good excuse to go see the new cube.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
I'm not sure why anyone would want this? Why not just have it shipped?

Because you might be a visitor from another country wanting to buy a Built To Order machine at a reasonable US price instead of paying the overly inflated price you would have to pay at home!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Terrific (and logical) expansion to their delivery model.

I can see this being a great option during Xmas, to avoid spoiling the surprise!

On that note, somebody please call my wife and tell her she can get me a new MBP 15" for Xmas this way :D

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
I'm sure the answer to that is a pretty resounding NO.

Plus a billion.

Apple has an amazingly impressive distribution network. I'm just surprised it took them this long to get this aspect up and running considering a lot of other companies have had similar options in place for years.

eliotw

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2006
New York, NY
Yes!

Does this also mean you can order a customized Mac online and pick it up in the store? That would be awesome!

----------

No more chasing the UPS man for the build to order Mac delivery and no more wasted trips to the nearest Apple store for that instant gratification accessory purchase.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I stopped buying BTO macs because it was such a pain with the FedEx guy. I'll definitely use this next time I buy a Mac.

Speaking of FedEx/UPS, why can't they operate like the USPS (attempt a delivery, leave a note saying it is waiting for you at the local USPS distribution center or you can schedule a redelivery). I mean, why do the UPS stores exist if they can't use them to store packages that they couldn't deliver the first time (yes, I know they aren't the sort facilities). This saves everyone time because they don't have to reattempt delivery and take that stupid signed sticky note and you can just go pick up the package in the morning.

Last edited:

Murgatroyd

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
Staten Island, New Yawk
The itch to buy is back again

Delivery to my building is not convenient. I don't want to receive packages if at all possible.

I thought of a Mac mini which stays within the humble abode. And then the white MacBook I'd take with me on the road, to navigate with when any taxi fare wants to travel to an outer borough. Instead of the iPad screen I currently use and look at I'd have a nice 13" screen to map and plan alternate routes with. The Maps app. Google. Sprint WiFi hotspot …? the iPad is OK, I suppose.

It's such a pleasure though. Thinking of reasons to spend money.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Delivery to my building is not convenient. I don't want to receive packages if at all possible.

I thought of a Mac mini which stays within the humble abode. And then the white MacBook I'd take with me on the road, to navigate with when any taxi fare wants to travel to an outer borough. Instead of the iPad screen I currently use and look at I'd have a nice 13" screen to map and plan alternate routes with. The Maps app. Google. Sprint WiFi hotspot …? the iPad is OK, I suppose.

It's such a pleasure though. Thinking of reasons to spend money.

That's most of buildings in NYC... unless you have a doorman.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Great news for Apple launching in-store pickups to on both ends of the country.

ThanksSteve

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
This is helpful for the apartment dwellers of the city though I suspect most received deliveries at their place of work if their building didn't have a doorman.

RaMaz07

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2008
Apple can't get rid of the Mac Pro because what would the Film and Audio Industries use? They need those super high powered machines to handle the intensive applications.

Tofaha

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
MI
my only question is what difference does it make when im customizing a mac and i choose to pick it up at an apple store vs arriving at home? wouldn't it just be more convient to have it shipped home?

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
That's most of buildings in NYC... unless you have a doorman.

Make that the entire Metro NYC area... had to go to Secaucus, NJ to pick my iPhone, as UPS 'attempted' delivery to my building three times and I was not around during daytime (since I have a job, to pay for the stuff). Ugh!

Cafesitter

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
Slovakia
Exactly

Because you might be a visitor from another country wanting to buy a Built To Order machine at a reasonable US price instead of paying the overly inflated price you would have to pay at home!

Apple products are usually priced at 1:1 exchange rate with euro so even after sales tax it is close to 30 per cent cheaper to buy in the US so it is quite normal to ask a good friend to bring you something from the apple store if they happen tombe going to new york. Hwo this pick up work do you pay upfront and then the person picking it up has to prove their identity or you simply order say a customised mac and then pay in the shop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.