PDA

View Full Version : Media Server Plex Releases Major Update

MacRumors
Oct 31, 2011, 02:04 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/31/media-server-plex-releases-major-update/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/plex.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/plex.jpg)A major update to the Plex Media Server (http://www.plexapp.com/) was released over the weekend, with significant updates (http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/10/29/plex-v0-9-5-brave-new-world/) to both the server and client software.

Plex is a media player, similar in some ways to Apple's Front Row, but much more powerful. The software automatically organizes movie and television files ripped from DVD's or acquired from other sources and pulls title and plot descriptions from online databases. Plex also integrates with iTunes and iPhoto giving a unified interface for collecting all media (photos, music, and video) in one application. It also supports a number of plugins to pull content from other sources, such as YouTube, TED, or The Daily Show websites.

The new version of Plex, code-named Laika (http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/10/29/plex-v0-9-5-brave-new-world/), includes a large number of new features (http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Plex_095_Preview_Release), some of which are covered in this video. One of the largest updates is a new feature called MyPlex (http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/10/28/introducing-myplex/), a cloud service that allows easy remote access and sharing of media to other users.

There is also an updated version of the Plex app for iOS (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/plex). The software allows users to browse media, play video, and control Plex installations, including playing back media on the iPad, including remotely.

The Plex Server and Client are free downloads from the Plex website (http://www.plexapp.com/), and the universal Plex for iOS app is available on the App Store for $4.99 (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/plex).

Article Link: Media Server Plex Releases Major Update (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/31/media-server-plex-releases-major-update/)

Fisch
Oct 31, 2011, 02:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sweet. Love this application!

slicecom
Oct 31, 2011, 02:13 PM
Probably my favourite 3rd party app, and the update is great as well! :)

braintumor
Oct 31, 2011, 02:24 PM
This version is still a bit buggy to be honest, but it looks very promising...

talmy
Oct 31, 2011, 02:29 PM
I use it regularly but it has needed more work in stability of both client and server as well as occasional sync issues. I hope that has improved rather than just the eye candy.

Anyone have a link to the video about the server? plexapp.com seems swamped at the moment -- I can't reach the site.

tempusfugit
Oct 31, 2011, 02:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Air video ftw

LastLine
Oct 31, 2011, 02:40 PM
I've beent rying to figure out - is it possible to just navigate folders using Plex? I used to use Front Row to just point at my Movies folder and navigate from there - I've not figured out a real alternative yet. Anyone know?

Also does anyone else have Apple Remote issues in Full Screen apps in Lion?

thermopyle
Oct 31, 2011, 02:55 PM
I've beent rying to figure out - is it possible to just navigate folders using Plex? I used to use Front Row to just point at my Movies folder and navigate from there - I've not figured out a real alternative yet. Anyone know?

It doesn't have folders, no. It just provides all the movies or shows in the subdirectories of wherever you pointed the section at. If you wanted to separate them, you could make a second section pointed at the other folder.

LastLine
Oct 31, 2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah, had a feeling that was the case - Love the UI but not the (incredibly wide) functionality. I want simple :) lol

purplesaber
Oct 31, 2011, 03:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Air video ftw

AirVideo is excellent too and I use it for remote streaming, but the interface is frankly primitive and clumsy.

Plex has worked very well so far with the new myPlex remote streaming. I think it will replace AirVideo as my primary video streaming app. The interface and search functions are polished and elegant. Does require tweaking sometimes to get the files to scrape correctly, but a big thumbs up from me for the latest version.

Oh, and now you can stream remotely to a Mac too with Plex!

slicecom
Oct 31, 2011, 03:31 PM
AirVideo is excellent too and I use it for remote streaming, but the interface is frankly primitive and clumsy.

Plex has worked very well so far with the new myPlex remote streaming. I think it will replace AirVideo as my primary video streaming app. The interface and search functions are polished and elegant. Does require tweaking sometimes to get the files to scrape correctly, but a big thumbs up from me for the latest version.

Oh, and now you can stream remotely to a Mac too with Plex!

Agreed. I used to use AirVideo but moved to Plex mainly because the interface is SO MUCH nicer, and it streams just as well as AirVideo.

Undecided
Oct 31, 2011, 03:59 PM
Is this the best media center app? What about xbmc? Honestly, I tried Plex before and got really frustrated trying to figure out how to configure it, etc.

(I'm using a mini with bluetooth keyboard and mouse, if that makes a diff.)

continuum
Oct 31, 2011, 05:06 PM
I love Plex and support all updates but it seems this latest update reverts to full screen on the primary display. I don't want to have to drag the menu bar to my other display in system prefs to modify the behavior. I'll be patient and wait for an update to fix this...and hopefully some DVD playback support!

Go PLEX!

LastLine
Oct 31, 2011, 05:09 PM
Tried and finding that it's still being odd about my tv shows. I'll stick to XBMC for now.

AriX
Oct 31, 2011, 05:15 PM
Plex is like Front Row, but not discontinued.

milbournosphere
Oct 31, 2011, 05:25 PM
I hope they've increased subtitle support. I love Plex, but whenever I watch from my Apple TV, I have to make do without even the hardcoded subtitles. I'm eager to see if they've fixed that. Otherwise, Plex is awesome!

enklined
Oct 31, 2011, 06:22 PM
Is this the best media center app? What about xbmc? Honestly, I tried Plex before and got really frustrated trying to figure out how to configure it, etc.

For a Mac, yes. Plex is simply amazing. Give another shot; be patient and configure your Media Server properly to point to the location of your TV Shows and/or Movies, and you'll never be happier.

I'm running Plex (Client and Media Server) on a self-built hackintosh HTPC, complete with Sick Beard, Couch Potato, and SABnzbd+, and Plex on a jailbroken Apple TV2 upstairs to stream to my bedroom, and couldn't be happier.

Plex ftw.

funkchiro
Oct 31, 2011, 10:41 PM

Ive used both and I much prefer this.. I have a iMac 2007. ipad 2, iphone 4s and Atv2 jailbroken with plex installed.

They all work a treat and seemlessly. The only issue i have is memory leakage but a quick restart seems to settle this. I hope 0.9.5 also fixes some of this

Hope that helps.

I cant wait to try myPlex..

penguy
Nov 1, 2011, 12:01 AM
downloaded the new media server and it hangs at the splash screen...:mad:

cryingrobot
Nov 1, 2011, 01:11 AM
Tried this a year ago and found Airvideo did the same thing more elegantly. Can someone who has used both explain what the benefits of Plex are to Airvideo? Ive been able to stream over the internet using Airvideo over hotel wifi which I cant even do with VNC so that is what sold me originally.

millar876
Nov 1, 2011, 02:09 AM
I like the new features in the new plex, but I've had to roll back to the last version of the media player. The new one turned my 1080p movies into a horrid unwatchable clunky forever caching mess. Kept I've new media server tho, and just running the older version of plex on my mac mini 1.1 with lion, 2.0GHz core2duo, GMA950 and 1gb ram (max) (older plex now has media server turned off in settings. My iMac is running the new plex streaming from the new media server app on the mini

Mark Octavian
Nov 1, 2011, 07:15 AM
Lol, you actually have to download the server separately. What's the point if you can't do anything in the media center without the server? And they don't even say that anywhere. So much for user-friendly.

Arnaud
Nov 1, 2011, 08:45 AM

You actually have to use the "video plug-in" section, lets you access your drive in the usual folder-view.
I use it most of the time, as the databases give sometime weird result about the movies, or do not recognize the files.

talmy
Nov 1, 2011, 09:42 AM
Lol, you actually have to download the server separately. What's the point if you can't do anything in the media center without the server? And they don't even say that anywhere. So much for user-friendly.

I run the server on a server. It wasn't user-friendly trying to figure out how to make the server start without running the client. Now the problem is solved.

The old client started the server. I don't know if that is necessary now. If I don't need to run the server on systems that have nothing to server, I've just reduced the memory footprint in my "media center" Mac minis.

(I'm waiting for the dust to settle, and the client to leave "Beta" before I upgrade.)

justperry
Nov 1, 2011, 09:47 AM

Try Tvmobili or Eyeconnect

Is that so, last time I downloaded I got both.
Sometimes people only need the server, like Me for instance, I have a LG LED Tv with plex running on it, yes its a smart tv, love it so far.

Sadly I have to buy a new mac to run plex,it won't run on My Powerbook G4 which is a shame since it can do almost anything I need it to do.

Ballis
Nov 1, 2011, 10:33 AM
Tried this a year ago and found Airvideo did the same thing more elegantly. Can someone who has used both explain what the benefits of Plex are to Airvideo? Ive been able to stream over the internet using Airvideo over hotel wifi which I cant even do with VNC so that is what sold me originally.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love AirVideo, but Plex does pretty much everything more elegantly. Airvideo loads videos a little faster though.

arubinst
Nov 1, 2011, 01:34 PM
I used Plex for a long time and I even named my Mac Mini Plex, because I bought with Plex in mind.

Until XBMC 10.1 came along. If you haven't tried XBMC lately, you should. The interface is so much more fluid and even the nightly beta builds are very stable (more stable thant this last version of Plex which I tested). Some XBMC skins are simply awesome.

The server/client approach in Plex is really nice and the iOS app is so much better than their first attempts. But there's one final deal breaker with Plex: They don't support archived videos (.rar). There's a workaround that requires MacFuse but it's in no way as seamless as XBMC.

Running them side by side on my 2010 Mini, with 3 HD full of rar archives, my choice for the time being remains with XBMC.

My steaming to iPad and iPhone needs are covered with AirVideo, very fast and light on the server side.

Snowy_River
Nov 1, 2011, 10:31 PM
My big issue with Plex is that it is an egregious resource hog. I tried running it on our Mac Mini HTPC, but it got the processors running at about 50% non-stop, even when it wasn't doing anything. Also, it misnamed a couple of TV shows and I couldn't get it to change its mind about what they were, no matter how I tried to rename the files, rescan, etc.

Anyone know if this update addresses the resource hog issue? And how does XBMC compare in this regard?

talmy
Nov 2, 2011, 10:06 AM
My big issue with Plex is that it is an egregious resource hog. I tried running it on our Mac Mini HTPC, but it got the processors running at about 50% non-stop, even when it wasn't doing anything.

My experience is that 50% is about right when it is playing a video. You've got something wrong if it is 50% when idle. In any case, the new release claims to be easier on the system.

Also, it misnamed a couple of TV shows and I couldn't get it to change its mind about what they were, no matter how I tried to rename the files, rescan, etc.

The Plex Server has been a blessing (when it catalogs correctly its a major time saver) and a curse (when it doesn't...). For series, the files have to be named exactly as they are in thetvdb.com, followed by season/episode (like S01E01) and each series must be in an individual folder with the same name. If you can't find it in thetvdb then you have to put it in a separate group of files as though it is your own media which doesn't get looked up anywhere.

Snowy_River
Nov 2, 2011, 11:16 AM
My experience is that 50% is about right when it is playing a video. You've got something wrong if it is 50% when idle. In any case, the new release claims to be easier on the system.

The Plex Server has been a blessing (when it catalogs correctly its a major time saver) and a curse (when it doesn't...). For series, the files have to be named exactly as they are in thetvdb.com, followed by season/episode (like S01E01) and each series must be in an individual folder with the same name. If you can't find it in thetvdb then you have to put it in a separate group of files as though it is your own media which doesn't get looked up anywhere.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look at the new version.

One of the shows that Plex mixed up was the 1990s Spider-man. Plex labeled it as the 1980s show Spider-man and his Amazing Friends.

When I first set up Plex, I left my labeling and organization as it has always been. TV shows were identified by the folder they were in. So, it would be "TV Show" > "Season #" > "Ep# Ep Name". For almost everything, despite the recommendation of naming files a particular way not being met (I was not going to go through and rename hundreds and hundreds of files just for Plex), Plex did a fantastic job of identifying the shows correctly.

After it mislabeled Spider-Man, I did go through and label the episodes according to the recommended format, then told Plex to reidentify them, but it came back with the same identification all over again.

However, what really did kill my interest was the fact that having Plex running was enough to get the fan in my Mini to run all the time. In my experience, without Plex, the fan almost never runs at all, unless it's doing some really heavy lifting, like encoding a video to a new format.

Wild-Bill
Nov 2, 2011, 11:35 AM
Sweet! Now I just need to wait until the Plex app gets updated for the Synology Disk Station, and then I can truly stream my videos hassle-free from the DiskStation to my AppleTV and PS3, without having to keep my Mac Pro on all the time !!!!!

RedTomato
Nov 3, 2011, 10:43 AM
Which has the best subtitle support? (being able to reliably autofind subtitle files, dealing with timing issues, font sizes, the rather insane range of subtitle file formats etc)

Bye Bye Baby
Nov 3, 2011, 11:51 AM
I love Plex for video. For music I find that it blows chucks.

I prefer iTunes for music.

I have not yet tried the new version.

IscariotJ
Nov 3, 2011, 03:04 PM
I love Plex for video. For music I find that it blows chucks.

I prefer iTunes for music.

I have not yet tried the new version.

StreamToMe is my go to app, handles both quite nicely on iOS and Mac.....