PDA

View Full Version : Turn Off Time-Zone Sensing To Improve iPhone Battery Life?

MacRumors
Oct 31, 2011, 03:45 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/31/turn-off-time-zone-sensing-to-improve-iphone-battery-life/)

Switching off automatic time-zone sensing in iOS 5 can improve iPhone battery life significantly, according to iDownloadBlog (http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/10/27/tip-cure-iphone-4s-battery/). The site claims that a bug in iOS 5's GM release causes the GPS-enabled location tracking connected to the automated time-zone function to run constantly. This unnecessary use of the GPS circuitry may drain the battery exceptionally quickly.

To fix the alleged bug and avoid the battery drain, head to the Settings app in iOS 5 and tap Location Services and then scroll to "System Services" at the bottom of that window. Then switch off "Setting Time Zone".

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/locationservices.jpg

It's not an official bug yet, though Apple is reportedly working on (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/28/apple-working-with-iphone-4s-owners-to-address-battery-life-issues/) iOS 5's battery life issues. Anecdotal evidence suggests flipping this switch may significantly improve battery life.

Article Link: Turn Off Time-Zone Sensing To Improve iPhone Battery Life? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/31/turn-off-time-zone-sensing-to-improve-iphone-battery-life/)

stridemat
Oct 31, 2011, 03:48 PM
It's worth a try I guess.

Tronic
Oct 31, 2011, 03:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Tried it last week and haven't seen it make a difference

Macopotamus
Oct 31, 2011, 03:52 PM
Doesn't work, despite every tech website on the face of the earth claiming it does.

What DOES work is turning off just about every feature that is new to iOS 5. It's obviously just a bug that Apple will fix ASAP because the betas didn't drain like this.

PNutts
Oct 31, 2011, 03:53 PM
But leave those iAds turned on. ;)

shawnstring
Oct 31, 2011, 03:53 PM
I tried something this morning that seemed to help tremendously, i turned off the compass calibration. Havent gone below 90% all day.

room237
Oct 31, 2011, 03:54 PM
I think it might have helped my battery life a little. But something is still draining it. iOS5 sucks on battery life.

Either way, why would someone want to keep this feature on? How often do you cross a time zone?

Nicky G
Oct 31, 2011, 03:54 PM
I am using the new Radar feature in foursquare and the new location-based services in OKCupid, and it seems these are draining the battery quite a bit, despite the developers claiming it shouldn't make a noticeable impact, as it's not supposed to leave GPS circuitry turned on. I do hope this gets resolved quickly.

thederby
Oct 31, 2011, 03:56 PM
the only thing that it shows has used location services in the last 24-hours is weather.

that said, i haven't had a reason to complain about battery life.

clarkewingh
Oct 31, 2011, 03:58 PM
Just noticed mine had constantly been active.. Turning it off now :mad:
http://clarkewing.com/Media/ios.png

room237
Oct 31, 2011, 04:00 PM
I tried something this morning that seemed to help tremendously, i turned off the compass calibration. Havent gone below 90% all day.

What does this feature do? Don't we calibrate the compass by waving the phone around like a madman?

xii
Oct 31, 2011, 04:02 PM
Three simple words. Does not work.

Mess
Oct 31, 2011, 04:02 PM
on my iPhone 4 with iOS5 i turned the 4 bottom options off straight after upgrade and have had no adverse battery issues.

Although I still believe the battery issue with the 4s is hardware related...

applefanDrew
Oct 31, 2011, 04:08 PM
This and calibrating the battery over the course of two weeks has worked for me. Back to iPhone 4 type battery life.

mrblog47
Oct 31, 2011, 04:11 PM
Mine was also constantly active. I turned it off but I wasn't experiencing any problems. I'm on an iPhone 4 though, not 4s. Also, the addition of another email account to most people's phones (iCloud email) could be adding to the battery drain as there's another email address to push mail from or check at regular intervals. I got rid of two email addresses I didn't use that often and that significantly increased my battery life. I only have two now but I'd say I'd see another improvement if I cut that down to one.

empire01
Oct 31, 2011, 04:11 PM
This and calibrating the battery over the course of two weeks has worked for me. Back to iPhone 4 type battery life.

Well just turned of the four settings mentioned above. Really hoping there is some improvement. Seems I can't stray far from my charger at the moment, having to recharge several times a day. Not very happy about it considering I've never had any problems with either the 4 or 3gs.

Matthew Yohe
Oct 31, 2011, 04:14 PM
Yeah... I think this is magical thinking.

Just because the arrow is purple, doesn't mean "GPS IS ON RIGHT NOW AND I'M DRAINING ALL YOUR POWER! MUHAHAHA!" It simply means the service "Setting Time Zone" it's doing something with your location.

Furthermore, just because your location is "being used", this doesn't mean that your phone has to do any power hungry operation to obtain your location. It likely just looks at the cell environment that you're currently in which doesn't require constant transmissions to cell towers! I assume it's looking at the most recent cached tower information (within a reasonable time frame) and uses that.

justusc
Oct 31, 2011, 04:15 PM
What does this feature do? Don't we calibrate the compass by waving the phone around like a madman?

Compass calibration adjusts magnetic declination (the difference between true north and magnetic north). The adjustment depends on your location, hence the location service. If you disable this feature, any app that uses the compass cannot use this feature.

pwalkin
Oct 31, 2011, 04:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Minimal if any improvement.

bruinsrme
Oct 31, 2011, 04:18 PM
Anything else we should turn off other than this, location, iCloud, wifi, Siri, compass.

Why have a 4s?

zapnyc
Oct 31, 2011, 04:21 PM
piffle.

It's iMESSAGE..... I turned iMessage off and....voila! incredibly longer battery life.

really. note that when you turn it ON....it has to "sign in"...it's constantly checking *something*...

JonneyGee
Oct 31, 2011, 04:22 PM
On my iPhone, the gray icon wasn't even on, meaning it hadn't even tried to use location services for time zones in the past 24 hours. I'm not experiencing battery drain; I'm finding my new 4S has about the same battery life my 3GS did (which is good enough for me). I'm wondering if this is only triggered if the phone accesses towers from multiple time zones or something else to indicate that you're close to a time zone boundary. I live in Fort Worth, TX (nowhere near a boundary), so there would be no reason for it to constantly check my location to see if I've changed time zones. Perhaps it's different for someone located near a time zone boundary (Yuma, AZ; Columbus, GA; Chattanooga, TN; etc.), as it might enable location services to provide a more precise transition from one time zone to another. This is purely speculation - can anyone living near a time zone boundary verify this theory?

bruinsrme
Oct 31, 2011, 04:25 PM
Anything else we should turn off other than this, location, iCloud, wifi, Siri, compass.

Why have a 4s?

piffle.

It's iMESSAGE..... I turned iMessage off and....voila! incredibly longer battery life.

really. note that when you turn it ON....it has to "sign in"...it's constantly checking *something*...

iMessage too, anything else?

DELTAsnake
Oct 31, 2011, 04:27 PM
Tried this "fix" last night, it didn't work. With every fix I try I get better battery life for a little while, then my battery life still goes down hill. When I wake up my battery is down to ~75% from 100% overnight in standby.

BarryDuffman
Oct 31, 2011, 04:30 PM

Same here. On my iP4 non-S.

Before upgrading to IOS5, I could run 2 full days without charging with what is normal use for me.
After upgrading I could only get 3/4 a day out of it.
After switching all iCloud services off (except 'Find My iPhone') I could run 1 1/2 day, on very below my normal use.
I ended up disabling 3G when I didn't have the use for it, and that gave me back my 2 days of normal use. But it is a bit annoying having to switch that on/off.
But now that I have killed the constantly running location service by switching off 'Setting Time Zone', I definitely expect my 2 days battery life to be back without having to switch off 3G.

At least it cannot hurt trying ;)

slicecom
Oct 31, 2011, 04:32 PM
iMessage too, anything else?

Turn on airplane mode. ;)

seanwes
Oct 31, 2011, 04:43 PM
I turned this off on my iPhone 4S yesterday, and now I have 81% at almost 5pm in the day after not having charged since last night. I think it helped me.

Laird Knox
Oct 31, 2011, 04:45 PM
I think it might have helped my battery life a little. But something is still draining it. iOS5 sucks on battery life.

Either way, why would someone want to keep this feature on? How often do you cross a time zone?

Sure you may not cross time zones that often but why shouldn't the phone track it? The crazy part is that it shouldn't impact battery life in the least. This should be something that can be tracked just using the normal communication with the cell towers. It'll get fixed.

vebs
Oct 31, 2011, 04:48 PM
Just turn your phone off.

applefan289
Oct 31, 2011, 05:06 PM
I never used Bluetooth and turned that off, but have seen no increase in battery life. I am not going to even try this as my current battery life is great.

jdsipod
Oct 31, 2011, 05:11 PM
This might be a little unrelated but ever since I upgraded my wifi only iPad 2 to iOS 5 the battery life has not been the same as pre iOS 5. Now it's not draining the battery like the iPhone 4s, but I decided to check my settings for location services and this time zone setting was on and the arrow was purple,so it was getting my location. Turned off the setting so now we will see if there is any improvement. Anyone else notice this?

Shrink
Oct 31, 2011, 05:13 PM
On my iPhone, the gray icon wasn't even on, meaning it hadn't even tried to use location services for time zones in the past 24 hours.

Same here. I have an IP4. I also have no arrow at Setting Time Zone so, as above, I assume that GPS is not active because no arrow appears.

I have noticed that the battery drains more quickly since downloading iOS5. Not terrible, but noticeable. But, since Ihave all kinds of stuff turned on - I'm pretty sure it's my fault.

applefan289
Oct 31, 2011, 05:16 PM
Same here. I have an IP4. I also have no arrow at Setting Time Zone so, as above, I assume that GPS is not active because no arrow appears.

I have noticed that the battery drains more quickly since downloading iOS5. Not terrible, but noticeable. But, since Ihave all kinds of stuff turned on - I'm pretty sure it's my fault.

Mine did and I have a 4s. Could it be that I got mine completely new, whereas you upgraded yours?

EasyRyde
Oct 31, 2011, 05:17 PM
unfortunately mine has been off the first few days when I noticed the battery drain issue. still a problem for me =( I did however, turn off PUSH and that seems to help.

Thankful I have a Mophie Juice Pack case.

cvam1985
Oct 31, 2011, 05:24 PM
Yeah every blog on earth seems to think this is the magic fix. Maybe for some, but not for me.

Battery still sucks.

marcusj0015
Oct 31, 2011, 05:36 PM
Well, pinging the wifi and or baseband every ****ing minute surely isn't a feature.

this is ridiculous, i went iPhone / going Mac BECAUSE of the stability and simplicity. and here we are, bugs galore, with the performance of a ****ing tractor.

bushido
Oct 31, 2011, 05:54 PM
i always love those suggestions:

turn off 3G
turn off wifi
turn off location service
turn off push nots
turn off weather

what u have left is a phone without any usefulness

here's an idea, turn off the phone. it saves u battery life :p

rickdollar
Oct 31, 2011, 05:57 PM

FWIW, letting the battery go dead and charging it completely seemed to work for me. I haven't turned off any settings and I get "close to iphone4" battery life.
The battery % indicator is complete B.S.
I can watch a whole TV show at 1% remaining.

Thescoot
Oct 31, 2011, 06:05 PM
Tried this all weekend. Did not help. What is weird is my Wife's 4S is not having any battery issues. Makes me worried it is a bad batch of batteries.

blackcrayon
Oct 31, 2011, 06:05 PM
Well, pinging the wifi and or baseband every ****ing minute surely isn't a feature.

this is ridiculous, i went iPhone / going Mac BECAUSE of the stability and simplicity. and here we are, bugs galore, with the performance of a ****ing tractor.

Your 4S is slow?

wescravn
Oct 31, 2011, 06:17 PM
macrumors is late. I already tried this on another blog site, and worked perfectly. no battery drain. Obviously wifi/bluetooth, etc will always drain the battery, so turn off if you don't need.

starstreak
Oct 31, 2011, 06:44 PM
I had that issue once. I turned it off. No great savings so far.

BC2009
Oct 31, 2011, 06:59 PM
I have not had any battery problems with my iPhone 4S, but my friend has. My little arrow icon next to it is grey, not purple. So it looks like my phone is only checking once in a while to see if it is in a new time zone.

So far my battery life on my iPhone 4S has been far better than my iPhone 3GS was.

Usually after using the iPhone 4S from 6am to 6pm I still have 50% battery.

monaarts
Oct 31, 2011, 07:36 PM

Whoever said iMessage is right... I times my phone and watched it drain 2% in about 3 minutes. I turned iMessage off and it drained 1% in 5 mins.

monaarts
Oct 31, 2011, 07:37 PM

I have everything else on btw.

Demedun
Oct 31, 2011, 07:37 PM

My battery life was HORRIBLE when I first got my iphone 4S. What really worked for me.....draining my battery completely, then charging to 100% nonstop....I have better battery life than my iphone 4 now. My phone's battery just keeps going now!

Alonzo84
Oct 31, 2011, 09:03 PM
I turned this off over a week ago and it had zero effect on my battery performance.

orangebluedevil
Oct 31, 2011, 09:20 PM
I noticed that the purple location icon came on during a flight last night, even when I had airplane mode on.

So I thuought, heck, I'll try this weird fix - I turned off the location based time setting and today my phone last the whole day with heavy usage. I am a heavy user normally and the last 2 weeks it has made it until about 3-4pm. It's 9:15 now and I just got the 20% warning.

So for me - it worked.

http://iamconcise.squarespace.com/storage/IMG_4240.PNG

Edit: sorry, I'm trying to use width="200" but I must be doing something wrong.

TimTheEnchanter
Oct 31, 2011, 09:26 PM
I haven't had the battery issues others here are having, actually it's been about the same on my iP4, and my time zone sensing has been on since day one. So I doubt this is the issue. My bro-in-law is having problems and it didn't do a thing for him.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 31, 2011, 09:30 PM
how does Apple let these piss poor bugs out of testing. I am sorry but time zone should NEVER and I mean NEVER need the GPS. That could work just fine off course location (cell tower).

This is yet another one of those piss poor errors in iOS like DST error Apple seems to be really good at doing.

Amazing Iceman
Oct 31, 2011, 09:33 PM
I have noticed that on my iPad 1 a couple of days after I installed iOS 5. My battery was draining fast sometimes, and I also noticed that it kept trying to synchronize the time.
I'm sure they will fix it soon.

silver8ack
Oct 31, 2011, 10:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Every time I've checked the Time Zone location service has not been used within 24 hours. So it's not it for me.

cameronjpu
Oct 31, 2011, 10:33 PM

Doesn't work, despite every tech website on the face of the earth claiming it does.

What DOES work is turning off just about every feature that is new to iOS 5. It's obviously just a bug that Apple will fix ASAP because the betas didn't drain like this.

What's clear is that anyone telling you that any one thing works for everyone, or as you did above, that a fix doesn't work, is lying.

This problem clearly has multiple causes and multiple fixes. I wish people would stop proclaiming or panning any specific fix - what worked for you WILL NOT work for everyone, and what failed for you WILL work for others.

This actually worked for me. I made it through today and now have 20% remaining at 1130 pm which is almost exactly what I was used to with my usage pattern. I'm happy!

adamoadam
Oct 31, 2011, 11:17 PM
I turned mine of and only left the search for cell tower thing on. Seemed to help some bit. The only thing that now seems to eat my battery 3G usage and listening to music. I just pray its not a hardware problem and whatever is going on is just some software glitch.

eltoko
Nov 1, 2011, 12:01 AM

Just turn your phone off.

I lol'ed

daveup2bat
Nov 1, 2011, 12:08 AM
S stands for Suck battery life to zero !! Seriously, thank god I have one of those Mophie Battery extenders or this thing wouldn't last a day...

What's the point of having a phone with all these new cool features, if you have to disable them all just to keep the thing ON... silly.

We need a fix not a turn this off and turn that off suggestions.. Come on!

----------

I lol'ed

Now we just need to wait for one of those awesome unauthorized Apple Movies that show up on Youtube! Seriously!

Nalim
Nov 1, 2011, 12:22 AM
I had the crappy battery life just like most everyone else here. Did as some others wrote and completely drained it until it shut off then recharged completely to 100% and did that three times in a row. Today with normal use at the end of the day there is still 50% left. If you haven't yet tried this do it and see if it helps. It only helped after the 3rd battery drain. 3rd times a charm I guess.

So there may be something to be said for recalibrating the battery, although I have no idea why that should be required for a brand new phone, that should have been done at the factory if that is what it takes to make the battery work normally.

Jweldredge1
Nov 1, 2011, 12:31 AM

I'm not one to post often, but I have to agree with a previous comment.
This may or may not be an issue affecting lots of people.
I have a 4S and a 3GS.
With the same settings and same use, the 4S lasts substantially longer.
I take that back, I have turned off all notifications with the 4S. Can't stand being interrupted all the time. But I do have the auto time zone on.

chairguru22
Nov 1, 2011, 01:42 AM
You can turn off all of those features basically. I did and haven't noticed a change to my daily used apps.

hexx
Nov 1, 2011, 06:42 AM
how about Find my Friends app, every time somebody wants to stalk you it needs to get your location - could this be the cause? way too many stalkers as your friends?

slu
Nov 1, 2011, 07:45 AM

I don't really notice any battery issues on my iPhone 4 with ios5. But I don't display the battery percent so I don't obsess about it. I did just turn off location based iAds though, so I was happy to see this post.

rtkane
Nov 1, 2011, 08:39 AM

My settings were showing the compass calibration as active. Let's hope shutting it off also helps me.

justinfreid
Nov 1, 2011, 09:07 AM
I turned this feature off just as a catchall; next time I switch time zones I'll turn it back on. But what I have noticed is that the 4+ day reduction in standby time on the 4S vs. the 4 is a big deal, especially since I don't use 3G voice all together that often.

ed724
Nov 1, 2011, 09:10 AM

FWIW, letting the battery go dead and charging it completely seemed to work for me. I haven't turned off any settings and I get "close to iphone4" battery life.
The battery % indicator is complete B.S.
I can watch a whole TV show at 1% remaining.

Thats because the battery indicator is not calibrated, The % indicator is not exact but its relatively close, so saying its complete B.S., is complete B.S.

sswanky
Nov 1, 2011, 09:15 AM

Turned off the time setting and compass calibration last night. Been using my iPhone 4 for 12 minutes and haven't lost a single percentage point yet. Hmm. Will keep an eye on this today.

Pause...

15 mins, no loss. Wow.

Update:

Yes, better standby life today

Risco
Nov 1, 2011, 09:20 AM
I was unsure about this workaround. However it seems to have made quite a big difference. I have been pretty heaving using ( games and internet, plus a few texts ) and it currently has 1 day and 5hrs standby with 5hrs and 3mins usuage.

Of course, it is nowhere near the stellar battery life of my iPhone 4 ( used to last 3 days! ) I do however have faith in Apple fixing this, along with improving overall battery life.

gnozh
Nov 1, 2011, 09:50 AM
No good.:(

mms13
Nov 1, 2011, 10:12 AM
My battery life was HORRIBLE when I first got my iphone 4S. What really worked for me.....draining my battery completely, then charging to 100% nonstop....I have better battery life than my iphone 4 now. My phone's battery just keeps going now!

People should know by now that this is standard procedure with any lithium-ion battery. Out of the box, they aren't really calibrated. But they ARE 'smart' batteries. At first, the percentage indicator doesn't really know what is 0%, which is why a lot of people will notice it hanging at 1% for a long time. After you let it die though, it knows where dead = 0%.

mlmwalt
Nov 1, 2011, 10:30 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

This hasn't helped me in the least. :(

justperry
Nov 1, 2011, 10:45 AM
People should know by now that this is standard procedure with any lithium-ion battery. Out of the box, they aren't really calibrated. But they ARE 'smart' batteries. At first, the percentage indicator doesn't really know what is 0%, which is why a lot of people will notice it hanging at 1% for a long time. After you let it die though, it knows where dead = 0%.

No its not SMART batteries, its the electronic power manager inside the phone which is responsible for that.

Also, few people claim that the batteries get better after a few times discharge, again its as the above poster said the calibration process which is responsible for that.

mlmwalt
Nov 1, 2011, 10:46 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

This hasn't helped me in the least. :(

ryan2714
Nov 1, 2011, 11:00 AM
http://clarkewing.com/Media/ios.png

mine doesnt even have a grey icon next to it and its turned on. i dont think this is why batteries are being drained, theres def a bug or other issue in iOS 5.

DavidLeblond
Nov 1, 2011, 12:09 PM
This is odd, I too have not noticed any significant battery drain since updating my iPhone 4 to iOS 5. So I peeked at the Time Zone setting and it was on, yet had no arrow next to it (purple OR gray.)

Those with the purple arrow, what carrier are you on? Just curious.

charlituna
Nov 1, 2011, 12:37 PM
Tried it last week and haven't seen it make a difference

Then that isn't your problem.

From reports it seems like for most folks the issue has been setting up the phone from a backup of either previous hardware, iOS 4 or both. wiping the phone back to factory and setting it up as new results in no to much much fewer issues.

it's because of this that I never set up from a back up when I switch hardware or major iOS releases. I always work fresh.

now I have already turned off time zones, about 2/3 of the location services etc. but mainly cause they are pointless or creepy (does Safari really need to know my location). I also turn off wifi and 3g data when I'm off somewhere that I know I can't connect like the middle of the desert on a shoot. So I can often go all day (and i'm talking 14 hour days) with only 20-25% loss in my battery on my iPhone.

if you don't want to go full hog on a complete restore, some folks are saying that just resetting their settings has purged whatever was crappy things up for them. try it.

Friscohoya
Nov 1, 2011, 01:09 PM
This worked really well for me. I went from phone going from full charge while I was aasleep to dead to now only a few percentage points lost.

shuj64
Nov 1, 2011, 05:13 PM
I had similar battery drain issues with my 4s until it went to 8% overnight. Charged to 100% and am currently on 1 day and 3 hours of standby time with 3 hours 41 minutes of usage, with nothing turned off as recommended in this article. Surely not the best recommendation but seems to have worked for me as well.

thaimac
Nov 1, 2011, 10:50 PM
went to sleep with abut 70-80% battery remaining, and when I wake up the phone is dead. 80% battery drained overnight while in standby (iPhone 4)! :eek:

MikelJohnsan
Nov 2, 2011, 05:37 AM
Seriously? The battery life is TERRIBLE on a cell phone for almost $700!

It's unacceptable. I'm disappointed, Apple.

wms
Nov 2, 2011, 06:56 AM
OK, 4s battery seemed a bit light: down to 0% after a day travelling, moderate use which did include watching half a film. Standby drain of about 15%-20% overnight. So not too bad all things considered.

Switched off:
Compass calibration
Setting time zone

One hour test where I sent three emails, answered one call but overall left on standby on desk: no battery drain at all. Started on 86%, still on 86%

Definitely seems to have helped.

pagato
Nov 2, 2011, 08:43 AM
OK, I'm not sure what this does. However, I tried it and my battery life seems to have improved. Before, I was charging twice a day. Too early to tell for sure, but there is an improvement. Overnight there was very little change in my battery charge.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Nov 2, 2011, 09:00 AM
What exactly does "Setting Time Zone" do?

harpinred
Nov 2, 2011, 12:50 PM
I waited a few days to post my results but my battery life is back to where it was pre-iOS 5 thanks to this tip. Also, I now have location services on where I didn't before the update so the battery life seems to be even better.

I've read that this isn't working for everybody but it definitely fixed the battery drain issues for me - and then some.

Thetonyk123
Nov 3, 2011, 07:19 PM
I turned this off right when i loaded ios 5 because i thought this was something stupid (like location based iads)

sweetie81
Nov 5, 2011, 04:10 PM
I turned off iMessage and for me with my 3GS seems to have improved battery life a bit.

The time zone switch off didn't make a difference for my system. Hope it helps for other people.

blairwillis
Nov 13, 2011, 09:04 PM
Even after updating to iOS 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4, I'm still finding the "Setting Time Zone" system service is still getting stuck, keeping the GPS location sensor on.

I'd hoped the 5.0.1 update would fix whatever the problem is, because there is no need for some time zone sensor to continuously and constantly access the GPS location service. Have had the function "on" since the 5.0.1 update, but after seeing it persist I've turned it back off.

Amazing Iceman
Nov 13, 2011, 10:00 PM
Even after updating to iOS 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4, I'm still finding the "Setting Time Zone" system service is still getting stuck, keeping the GPS location sensor on.

I'd hoped the 5.0.1 update would fix whatever the problem is, because there is no need for some time zone sensor to continuously and constantly access the GPS location service. Have had the function "on" since the 5.0.1 update, but after seeing it persist I've turned it back off.

Better yet, try turning OFF the following:

General -> Date & Time -> Set Automatically.

That has worked for me since iOS 5 came out and I discovered the battery drain. I quickly found it was endlessly trying to Sync time, draining my battery.

Also, disable WiFi when on the road, so your iDevice doesn't try to discover and connect to every WiFi access point nearby.