PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft 3 Update(1.03) adds PowerPC acceleration.

8thDegreeSavage
Oct 9, 2002, 11:30 PM
YEs its true...all mac users can rejoice with this bit of info taken from the latest update to Warcraft3.

NEW FEATURES

- Added PowerPC optimizations and MacOS X 10.2 specific acceleration to the

graphics engine.

i have already noticed a HUGE improvment....hope you all enjoy the new found smoothness.

It availible off BNET right now. And im sure its availible from Blizzards web site.

mac15
Oct 10, 2002, 02:41 AM
I can't get it from battle.net and its not on their FTP site, I get an error when using battle.net

8thDegreeSavage
Oct 10, 2002, 02:56 AM
Then i hate to tell you your missing out....in a big WAY!

i got HUGE performance gains....WC3 now plays like it is supposed to.

Stike
Oct 10, 2002, 04:05 AM
:eek: I installed the update and it works.. BUT!
The performance didnt increase a bit on my machine, and.. well... look, what the game (running 1024 res.) did to my 1280 desktop!

Argh!

Falleron
Oct 10, 2002, 04:52 AM
Graphics look good! I have not played the game, but may get it if other people like it.

job
Oct 10, 2002, 11:29 AM
Hm....

Maybe it will be finally playable under X now..

mac15
Oct 11, 2002, 06:03 AM
very nice, they put the update on their FTP site and the game now rocks so much, so smooth no slowneed what so ever, keep it up

8thDegreeSavage
Oct 11, 2002, 01:53 PM
Yeah it totally made me fall in love with the game again..now that i know what i was missing out on....lol.

Durandal7
Oct 11, 2002, 09:20 PM
It gave a good kick to performance on my unsupported system. I was also having disconnects on B.net which caused me to accumalate several losses but that seems to have stopped too.

beatle888
Oct 11, 2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Stike
:eek: I installed the update and it works.. BUT!
The performance didnt increase a bit on my machine, and.. well... look, what the game (running 1024 res.) did to my 1280 desktop!

Argh!

hey whats that desktop picture from...if
you don't mind me asking.

cb911
Oct 22, 2002, 02:52 AM
sounds good. i'll get the update right now!!

he he :D that really stoofed you desktop didn't it! he he :D:D

WannabeSQ
Oct 24, 2002, 09:46 PM
Every Update I apply, either from apple or blizzard had made performance better. The new ATI drivers helped a lot, as did the 1.03 update.

I have a G4 500, and a Radeon 8500. It still gets jumpy during big battles.

I am thinking about upgrading, but am torn between the dual 800 or the single Ghz processor. WCIII doesnt see the other processor, but everything else should benefit from the duals. My question is, is 800mhz enough for the game not to glitch during big battles? Or should I go for the Ghz and have better WCIII performance but sacrifice multitasking ability?

Omad0n
Oct 25, 2002, 03:41 AM
Just to leett you know man, I've gota dual 867 with over 500 megs DDR ram in it, and it still slows down for some BIG battles. Although the one that alawys seemneed the worst was the last NE level, and I haven't tried that lately. I don't know, I play a lot of custom games where there's a lot of the mapped revealed, and it can get bogged down at times. I say, if you want pure performace, just go with the gig. Otherwise get the dual. Also I play with everything maxed out but no shadows on, at I think 1200 res. 32 bit. color. and a Radeon 8500 card. hope my rant helped.

Steve

Nipsy
Oct 25, 2002, 05:09 AM
Sure would be nice if it would open with 2GB of RAM. Whoever coded it to check RAM wrote code that checks for 128 =< RAM => 1.5GB and issues a failure message.

I have 2GB, and it tells me I don't have enough RAM!

8thDegreeSavage
Oct 25, 2002, 06:18 AM
The 1.03 patch should fix the ram issue.

And i dont know what your problem is with your dual 867 man.

I have a single 867 and a GF4MX64mb card and i have all the details CRANKED up and it flies...no slowdowns whatsoever..i am gaming in 10.2.2(6F6)(new Nvidia Drivers rock cant wait for final build of 10.2.2):D

Omad0n
Oct 25, 2002, 12:21 PM
Like I said man, I play a lot of custom games. And in those ther eare times when the wholemap can be seen. On top of tht during those times ther can be TONS of units on screen. So i think that may be what does it. Now if there were a fog of war on or something at that point, maybe it wouldn't happen. But I'm not sure. Haven't played enough games since the latest patch revision anyways.

chibianh
Oct 26, 2002, 10:57 AM
I've had war3 freeze on my in the middle of a game. It gets kinda annoying sometimes, especially when I'm winning :)

Btw, anyone know if the ATI Oct2002 update is for the radeon7500 in the powerbooks? thanks.

WannabeSQ
Oct 26, 2002, 08:43 PM
Any hope for this game to be optimized for dual processors? With all the towers being dual, and the dual processor upgrades coming out, there is more of a need to make more software dual processor aware.

I am torn between the dual 800 and the single 1ghz upgrades, I think the dual is better, but only for software that utilized it. I have 2 monitors, so i have lots of apps open, which is good for duals. Warcraft is the only thing keeping me torn, for that im sure the 1ghz model is best, but i dont play WCIII 24/7

sigh. decisions, decisions, if i had the dough, id simply get the dual ghz one.

scem0
Oct 26, 2002, 08:45 PM
That was a much needed update.

zed
Oct 28, 2002, 06:36 PM
im on an iMac G4 800 and the game still plays about the same. No performance increases here :(

what is this about Nvidia drivers? do they have new ones out?... and for which cards?

mac15
Oct 28, 2002, 10:47 PM
I got an imac 700 and it now rips it up

zed
Oct 28, 2002, 11:03 PM
W3 has always been acceptable on my iMac 800, as I stated before the new patch did not speed things up for me. The problem is that I have played the game on a pc and the performance on my mac is not even close the to performance the pc was delivering...... i dunno......

MacAztec
Oct 28, 2002, 11:56 PM
I have a G4 400Mhz Sawtooth with a Radeon Mac Edition and 768MB of RAM, and its KINDA slow just during the game, but during battles i cant stand it.

ddtlm
Oct 29, 2002, 01:50 AM
I upgraded my dual 800 with 1.5gigs of RAM as follows:

WC3 1.02 => WC3 1.03
10.1 => 10.2
GF2MX => Radeon 8500
5400 RPM IDE => 2x 10000 RPM top-rated SCSI, RAID 0

It loads maps faster now, and is actually more playable in OSX, but is still just not good enough for a large compeditive game. I played a 6-way FFA on it (LAN) and it interfered with my ability to micro the heros when it mattered, which was amoung the causes of my rather unfortunate loss. I was still able to compete, and my "macro" was OK, it just became harder to whip out "that spell" and do "the right thing" to the right target at the right time. WC3 + OSX's tendecy to hickup every second or so has been reduced a lot, but is still there, and disturbs what looks like otherwise very smooth graphics when I'm doing things other than combat. I have not reloaded OS9 but I assume that it would play well there. Since I play compeditively with my friends (in arranged teams), I have gone back to something other than my Mac which I shal not name, in order to have smooth game play in most any situation.

Nipsy
Oct 29, 2002, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by 8thDegreeSavage
The 1.03 patch should fix the ram issue.

Nope...the RAM issue is still open...one of those situations where I wish everything were open source, so I could just fix it myself.

8thDegreeSavage
Oct 29, 2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by ddtlm
I upgraded my dual 800 with 1.5gigs of RAM as follows:

WC3 1.02 => WC3 1.03
10.1 => 10.2
GF2MX => Radeon 8500
5400 RPM IDE => 2x 10000 RPM top-rated SCSI, RAID 0

It loads maps faster now, and is actually more playable in OSX, but is still just not good enough for a large compeditive game. I played a 6-way FFA on it (LAN) and it interfered with my ability to micro the heros when it mattered, which was amoung the causes of my rather unfortunate loss. I was still able to compete, and my "macro" was OK, it just became harder to whip out "that spell" and do "the right thing" to the right target at the right time. WC3 + OSX's tendecy to hickup every second or so has been reduced a lot, but is still there, and disturbs what looks like otherwise very smooth graphics when I'm doing things other than combat. I have not reloaded OS9 but I assume that it would play well there. Since I play compeditively with my friends (in arranged teams), I have gone back to something other than my Mac which I shal not name, in order to have smooth game play in most any situation.

The funny thing is i have a "lesser" set up than you i believe...maybe my processor is a bit beefier, im not sure, but i dont have any of these problems your having. But when it comes to"micro" in battle or engaging into battel i use strictly hotkeys to micro manage me heros...so im not maniacally scrolling the screen...in fact i almost never use my mouse in big battles..only to tab through the classes of casters in my main attack group. I dont have issues with loading maps or network play, in fact Im one of the faster machines it seems, when i host over BNET people get great pings, and when i join games im usually the first second or third ready to play with map loaded of the 8 people in a random team game of 4v4.
I have a 867,768ram,Geforce4mx64mb,wimpy drive nothing like what you have and a DSL consumer connect...I game only in OSX 10.2.2(new Nvidia Drivers may be helping me out here...you never know)..and i never get a slow down .....ever. Big battles ,small battles, creeping, casting,mass units, 2,4,5,6,7,8 people on board....doesnt make a difference..i literaly never see slowdowns...and trust me..i pay a TON of attention to detail. I play alot..and i was shocked at the difference in play from 1.02 - 1.03 they seriously did something right.

8thDegreeSavage
Oct 29, 2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by mac15
I got an imac 700 and it now rips it up

Im quite sure this gent is on 10.2.2 as well..maybe the drivers are helping us out(New Nvidia and ATI drivers in new 10.2.2 update out this week)...cause its like butter on my machine..and his seems to be working well.

ddtlm
Oct 29, 2002, 10:17 AM
8thDegreeSavage:

Sometimes I wonder if having an SMP machine slows down WC3 a tad, because OSX juggles it between processors when it should really just put it on one and leave it there. Do you see the "skip" at regular intervals in WC3? Can you scroll the screen smoothly (when nothing in particular is going on)? I know that I cannot get perfectly smooth play even at the very very start of the game, because of those regular-interval "hickups".

I'm all about hotkeys for everything, but some things, like the TC's shockwave, and like polyforph, need to be aimed, and a low framerate means it takes longer to do right. A slow polyforpher is a dead human, against certain enemies.

8thDegreeSavage
Oct 29, 2002, 11:41 AM
The cinematics and scrolling are butter smooth on my machine, it may have something to do with the dual processor thats causing the problem....i think Blizz said something about fixing it in a later update.

WannabeSQ
Oct 29, 2002, 04:41 PM
If Blizzard makes WCIII multi cpu aware, then I'm totally sold on getting the dual g4 800 powerlogix chip, Warcraft is one thing making me want to go with the single ghz.

Would you happen to have a link where Blizzard says this? Or perhaps an estimated release?

8thDegreeSavage
Oct 29, 2002, 06:07 PM
Just send them an E-mail at support@blizzard.com all the guys there are great helps and usually will give you the straight deal.

WannabeSQ
Oct 29, 2002, 06:28 PM
I already sent them an email, and they do have a mac support email at macsupport@blizzard.com I think the regular support is for PC, and would just forward on to the mac team.

ddtlm
Oct 29, 2002, 10:32 PM
WannabeSQ, 8thDegreeSavage:

I would be amazed if Blizzard spent the time to make WC3 multi-CPU aware... especially for such a tiny market as dual-G4's. Thats 10% of 4%, maybe 0.5% of their market if you are lucky. And that assumes that 100% of the dual G4 players run OSX, which is not true. Also assumes that the Mac market is 4%, which is not true, and it also assumes that an equal percentage of Macs can even play WC3 as PCs, relative to their market shares (unlikely since PCs are undisputably better gaming machines). To summarize: dual-G4's are a tiny fraction of Blizzard's WC3 customer base.

It may very well even be impossible without a lot of work deep in the game engine. There is no magic SMP wand that Blizz can wave over the code, and if they designed it from the ground up as a single-CPU program then the odds of an easy path to SMP are very poor.

Falleron
Nov 3, 2002, 10:09 AM
Still keeps crashing on me!

ddtlm
Nov 3, 2002, 12:54 PM
Falleron:

WC3 crashes? I've only seen that happen once, and that was on a friends PC since the 1.03 patch. I'd rate WC3 as very stable.

hvfsl
Nov 3, 2002, 01:14 PM
Actually 13% of people that play (or played) starcraft were mac users, so it may be the same for w3. It is not like the 90% PC, 4% Mac.

Falleron
Nov 3, 2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by ddtlm
Falleron:

WC3 crashes? I've only seen that happen once, and that was on a friends PC since the 1.03 patch. I'd rate WC3 as very stable.

It has happened twice now in 2 days! The first time it locked Jaguar SOLID! I had to hit the reset button. The second time, it just unexpectidly quit. Before this, OSX had not crashed once in 5 months or so!!

ddtlm
Nov 3, 2002, 03:55 PM
hvfsl:

Thats certainly interesting... I could see there being a good sized Mac SC/WC3 following given the lower number of games available... may I ask where the figure comes from?