Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
I bought my Unibody MacBook back in 2009 just before they discontinued that style for MB. It's been a great little laptop for the past couple of years and I was loooking forward to upgrading the memory to 8GB (already upgraded HD to a SeaGate Momentus Hybrid 500GB). Anyway, one night I sat the thing on my night stand after watching some old Dick Van Dyke shows on Hulu. The next morning, I reached for my glasses on the nighstand and inadvertantly knocked over a glass of water and got my MB wet. Even though it was closed, water somehow found its way into the inner workings and the thing was completely dead! I was so depressed! Anyway, I decided to open it up and leave a fan running on it all day and keep my fingers crossed!

When I got home from work that night, to my delight, it was working again and so far no signs of any problems! Whew! That was a close call! I've also heard that putting them in a box filled with rice is a good way to draw out all the moisture, but I didn't have to resort to that this time!

Memo to self: Keep the water glass away from the MB!

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
If you can stand it, I would keep it off and under a light breeze for another day or two just to make sure that any moisture is gone.

But yeah, generally water is the kindest thing you can spill on a computer. It's when you get into things like tea, coffee, and booze that you start getting into trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.