Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What was your first programming language?

• BASIC

Votes: 63 47.0%
  • C (or C++)

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • COBOL

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • FORTRAN

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • Logo

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Objective-C

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Pascal

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Perl

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Python

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Java

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • C#

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
I thought C64 BASIC was my first language, but then I remember actually I playing with the turtle graphics of Logo before BASIC.

----------

HTML :p

And then I learned that it wasn't.

1. PHP
  2. Java
  3. C#

Doh! I forgot about the likes of Java and C# for the poll. I'm too old.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I don't count LOGO because I didn't learn how to really program the turtle. I really started learning to program in AP Computer Science in my senior year of high school. The curriculum used C++. That's what I used when I started college then moved to Java. While in school I picked up perl, C, Haskell, some Lisp, some of a few ASMs, and probably some others. Afterwards at my first job I learned more C, a lot more perl, shell, Fortran, JavaScript, and maybe others. Now I'm mostly working in Java. Along the way I've seen some python and ruby, learned Objective-C, and may have dabbled in or researched a number of others I'm forgetting. Figuring out a new language is pretty enjoyable if you have some decent code to read.

-Lee

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
I don't count LOGO because I didn't learn how to really program the turtle.

I think it was in LOGO that I developed my skills in problem analysis and techniques like divide'n'conquer.

I learnt LOGO in primary school. The teacher would give us worksheets with pictures on them, eg a house. We had to write a sequence of LOGO commands that would produce that picture.

It seems I owe my primary school computer teacher a lot. :)

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I selected BASIC (HP2000), but before that I learned the fundamentals of programming a decimal-based machine language using a book that was constructed like some sort of website: you read a page, then a question at the bottom had 3 answers with links to click page numbers to turn to. It was a really effective teaching tool, I find it surprising the format never caught on with anyone else.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I'm pretty sure it was C using the Mac OS Toolbox with Codewarrior, but I failed at learning anything substantial and later learned Visual Basic in high school. *age now public* :)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
When I started programming, we didn't even have programming languages. We had to train small animals like hedgehogs and muskrats to perform the operations. Some things were obvious: rabbits or mice (multipliers), certain species of snakes (adders), and the occasional repurposed flotsam (oar gates). But let me tell you, it takes a lot of training to consistently complement a hedgehog.

Then we'd line everything up along the road and run them through their paces in a kind of "relay race". It was much later that electromechanical relays were invented, but by then the term "relay computer" was already long established.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Basic. On one of these bad boys:

250px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Pascal. Turbo Pascal 3 in 1989, then Pascal for Windows, then Delphi. Now C# and .NET, I'm afraid, but Objective-C and Cocoa in my spare time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.