PDA

View Full Version : How Many Will Get New Hardware for OSx v2003...

pimentoLoaf
Oct 9, 2002, 11:46 PM
... rather than upgrade an older Mac where you still have os9 software you'd prefer running native instead of under Classic Mode?

Hemingray
Oct 10, 2002, 12:38 AM
Well, I just finished maxing out my old G4 400 PCI to the hilt (O/Ced to 450, max RAM, ATA/100 card, 120GB 7200rpm HD, etc.), so I'd say I'm good for at least another year. Long enough to wait out and see the direction Apple chooses to take with the PowerMac's processor.

Booting into OS 9 has saved me on several occassions so I'm grateful to still have it. I think it's good that they're forcing OS X booting only on new machines; I just hope they're prepared to face the problems that are going to crop up.

pimentoLoaf
Oct 10, 2002, 08:19 AM
I have a few games that won't run in Classic the way they're s'posed to:

* Masque Slots I & II
* Marathon Trilogy & Rubicon AO (http://guide.apple.com/action.lasso?-database=macosguide&-layout=cgi_detail&-response=/ussearch/detail.html&prodkey=47362&-search)
* X-Plane

And although it works under osX...

* Links Championship Edition

... from Microsoft operates faster with os9.

If it weren't for the games, I'd be osX Forever.

So...

I'll have to get a osX-only system sometime. And it would be good to put Photoshop 7, GoLive 6, and LiveMotion 2 in that environment, as a g3 @ 500Mhz is just to slow.

al256
Oct 10, 2002, 08:47 AM
Around June or so of 2003, I plan on buying an iBook. I hope they have a g4 and a 13.3in LCD by then.

Backtothemac
Oct 10, 2002, 10:29 AM
In Jaurary or March I will buy the top of the line PowerMac, and I am giving the Mrs my PowerBook, and I am buying one of the new ones when they come out.