PDA

View Full Version : Native Gmail App for iOS Reportedly Set to Launch

MacRumors
Oct 31, 2011, 11:15 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/01/native-gmail-app-for-ios-reportedly-set-to-launch/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/gmail_logo.jpg

MG Siegler shares word (http://parislemon.com/post/12181169812/incoming-a-native-gmail-iphone-app-finally) that Google is preparing to launch a native iOS application for Gmail, offering some expanded capabilities beyond the current mobile-optimized version for Safari. According to Siegler's sources, the app may even have already been submitted to Apple for App Store approval.Google is on the verge of launching their native Gmail app, multiple sources tell me. In fact, I believe it has already been submitted to Apple for review. If it gets approved, it should be out soon. And I think it's going to be approved.

This is great news for a couple of reasons. First: native Gmail app! Awesome. Second: those who have seen the app tell me it's pretty fantastic. Perhaps even surprisingly so.Among the key features said to make their debut in the app are push notifications, Priority Inbox filtering, and simple one-click starring of specific messages.

Article Link: Native Gmail App for iOS Reportedly Set to Launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/01/native-gmail-app-for-ios-reportedly-set-to-launch/)

Master Atrus
Oct 31, 2011, 11:19 PM
I really enjoy the iOS Mail App, however I'd love to have my labels. So with that in mind, I'm hoping this is true!

- Atrus

gorskiegangsta
Gmail is great 'n all but how much longer will I have to keep pulling my hair out, waiting for a native Google Docs iOS app?

mobilehaathi
That would go a long way towards getting me to switch to an iPhone...

LaCosta
Oct 31, 2011, 11:21 PM
I cannot wait!

Guess another reason not to do Android and all those desserts.

-LikesMac-
Oct 31, 2011, 11:24 PM
This is something I've always wanted on iOS. :D

vitzr
Oct 31, 2011, 11:29 PM
Once again Google demonstrates that even when under attack by Apple, they are the ones that continue to innovate and treat Apple very well.

It's the very reason I'm not about to abandon their cloud services for iCloud.

Contrary to my $200 MobileMe experience of over two years, Googles free services have never disappointed.

Thanks Google :)

legacy fan
Oct 31, 2011, 11:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Wants:

Push, labels, proper delete/archive/spam capabilities. Exchange setup doesn't handle this very well ( except for push).

Darreners
Oct 31, 2011, 11:40 PM
I would love for this to happen. I am getting road killed here without the Send Email As feature. Also on Mac OS X Lion, I need a Gmail App that allows me to use Send Email As and import all mail to my computer.

rman726
Oct 31, 2011, 11:41 PM
I don't really care about a native app since I don't use the flags or push features anyways, but it's nice for the iOS users that do to have the option. If only to shut up the Android users that talk **** about it, when I would bet 90% of them don't use the flags anyways.

jamesnajera
Oct 31, 2011, 11:45 PM
Wow, email and ads. No thank you, Apple's App is just fine.

Yes, I am making an assumption.

MacVault
Oct 31, 2011, 11:59 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Please include google talk (chat) feature in this native mail app!! All the third-party chat apps really suck.

iammike1
Nov 1, 2011, 12:01 AM
Once again Google demonstrates that even when under attack by Apple, they are the ones that continue to innovate and treat Apple very well.

Contrary to my $200 MobileMe experience of over two years, Googles free services have never disappointed.

Really? You call providing a Gmail app more than 3 years after the introduction of the App Store innovation?

Hopefully they do a better job on this than the Google Voice app. Google seems to introduce an iOS app then vertically forget about ever improving it.

Slurpy2k8
Nov 1, 2011, 12:15 AM

Uh, what? How does this benefit Apple, exactly? It's definitely to Google's benefit for iOS users to use their native app, then Apple's native app. And yes, it benefits iOS users too, as they now have a choice. But I don't see how the hell this is an act of altruism, as you suggest, or 'treating Apple well'. If anything, Apple would much prefer you use the mail app for gmail.

jason2811
Nov 1, 2011, 12:23 AM
I thought Apple doesn't allow third-party email applications on iOS?

KakaduDreamer
Nov 1, 2011, 12:27 AM
Uh, what? How does this benefit Apple, exactly? It's definitely to Google's benefit for iOS users to use their native app, then Apple's native app. And yes, it benefits iOS users too, as they now have a choice. But I don't see how the hell this is an act of altruism, as you suggest, or 'treating Apple well'. If anything, Apple would much prefer you use the mail app for gmail.

Well, one possible benefit to Apple that I can think of: with a native Gmail app for iOS it means those people who prefer using major Google products such as Gmail will perhaps be more willing to purchase for the first time/continue to upgrade iPhone/iPad devices rather than choosing/switching to an Android device.

Dnix
Nov 1, 2011, 12:31 AM
If it's anything like the interface on their website, I'll be sticking with Apple mail. But thanks. :rolleyes:

AppleDavie
Nov 1, 2011, 12:51 AM
apple should have their own mail system, so we wouldn't have to use gmail or msn or yahoo. appledavie@apple.com :cool:

haruhiko
Nov 1, 2011, 01:08 AM

Except when you want to sync contacts with it.

Exchange doesn't support custom fields....:rolleyes:

SteelWheel
Nov 1, 2011, 01:31 AM
Umm..I've been using Ginbox (previously known as MultiG) on my iOS devices for several years now. If there's anything that any hypothetical "native" GMail app might do that Ginbox can't, I can't imagine what it might be.

rockman0
Nov 1, 2011, 01:33 AM
apple should have their own mail system, so we wouldn't have to use gmail or msn or yahoo. appledavie@apple.com :cool:

iCloud comes with a free @me.com address that you can check easily through the mail app and through icloud.com . You have to go into your icloud setting on your device and enable "mail."

-----------------------------------
What I'd really love for Google to make is a reader app. The Mail app takes care of Gmail for me. I'd just like a reader app. Please make that happen!

Rodimus Prime
Nov 1, 2011, 01:38 AM
Wow, email and ads. No thank you, Apple's App is just fine.

Yes, I am making an assumption.

Yes and your assumptions are making a true ass out of yourself. If you have used Gmails mail app on ANY other device you would see they do not contain any ads what so ever. And by that I mean not a single ad whats so ever.

Apple would shove ones of its iAds down on your threw its mail client before Google would.

Portal83
Nov 1, 2011, 01:58 AM
I don't get what this changes. I've been using my Gmail in the native app for years and can't think of a reason why I'd use a 3rd party app. I don't care about instant push notifications. No one who sends me an email expects me to get it more than every hour. Flags? I wouldn't use them nor do I see a use for them.

idkmybffjon
Nov 1, 2011, 02:03 AM
if by native they mean, a native client that loads a browser and their mobile coded site, like all of their apps... then yeah sure.

Mackbook702
Nov 1, 2011, 03:14 AM

If there was a step below newbie, you'd be it.

iSamurai
Nov 1, 2011, 03:34 AM
Just something related to Google: does anyone know why there's no Chrome for iOS even though it's webkit based? Or is that just something Google's not interested in making atm?

mp0890
Nov 1, 2011, 03:45 AM
Yes and your assumptions are making a true ass out of yourself. If you have used Gmails mail app on ANY other device you would see they do not contain any ads what so ever. And by that I mean not a single ad whats so ever.

Apple would shove ones of its iAds down on your threw its mail client before Google would.

Oh yeah, that assumption has you looking real intelligent...

bpaluzzi
Nov 1, 2011, 04:03 AM
I don't get what this changes. I've been using my Gmail in the native app for years and can't think of a reason why I'd use a 3rd party app. I don't care about instant push notifications. No one who sends me an email expects me to get it more than every hour. Flags? I wouldn't use them nor do I see a use for them.

"I don't want this feature, therefore nobody does" :rolleyes:

flottenheimer
Nov 1, 2011, 05:19 AM
Gmail is great 'n all but how much longer will I have to keep pulling my hair out, waiting for a native Google Docs iOS app?

Count me in.

Menel
Nov 1, 2011, 05:35 AM
If there was a step below newbie, you'd be it.and he'd probably be better off giving up on a board filled with nitwits who have such poor grasp of the topics discussed here that they dont recognize a statement so saturated with sarcasm even if it smacked them in the face.

bpaluzzi
Nov 1, 2011, 05:42 AM
and he'd probably be better off giving up on a board filled with nitwits who have such poor grasp of the topics discussed here that they dont recognize a statement so saturated with sarcasm even if it smacked them in the face.

I think you're seeing sarcasm where none exists.

SandboxGeneral
Nov 1, 2011, 05:53 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm looking forward to this too. Maybe I can use that over Apples mail client for my Gmail.

Pinkiy
Nov 1, 2011, 06:19 AM
I really enjoy the iOS Mail App, however I'd love to have my labels. So with that in mind, I'm hoping this is true!

- Atrus

i use osx mail and i get my labels in my gmail account on the left? (in mail not in gmail web)

bpaluzzi
Nov 1, 2011, 06:25 AM
i use osx mail and i get my labels in my gmail account on the left? (in mail not in gmail web)

We're talking about iOS, not OSX. And even the OSX Mac Mail doesn't really support labels. Labels are many-to-many. Folders, as in Mac Mail, are one-to-many.

AdeFowler
Nov 1, 2011, 06:32 AM

Laughed out loud :)

By the way, how crap is the Gmail logo?

Pinkiy
Nov 1, 2011, 06:36 AM
We're talking about iOS, not OSX. And even the OSX Mac Mail doesn't really support labels. Labels are many-to-many. Folders, as in Mac Mail, are one-to-many.

ahh my bad, 3hrs sleep and trying to help doesnt really do to well....ignore me lol

robertcoogan
Nov 1, 2011, 06:41 AM
Wow. How does this benefit me, exactly? So Google wants me to access my Gmail account via a separate app, vice accessing it via one (Apple Mail).

Ok...but no thanks, Google. What I don't need is more clutter on my iPhone's screen.

samcraig
Nov 1, 2011, 06:52 AM
Wow. How does this benefit me, exactly? So Google wants me to access my Gmail account via a separate app, vice accessing it via one (Apple Mail).

Ok...but no thanks, Google. What I don't need is more clutter on my iPhone's screen.

There's a solution for that. Don't use it.

There are plenty of people who would and are looking forward to that.

And as "great" as the Apple email app is - it lacks in a few areas and I'm at least curious to see if Google's is better.

Yumunum
Nov 1, 2011, 06:57 AM
Even with push notifications, the emails won't automatically download, will they? Isn't that a limitation of iOS apps? The app would just refresh every time you go into it, unlike Apple's Mail app that can basically break all the rules cuz it's a native Apple app

HellDiverUK
Nov 1, 2011, 07:16 AM
Even with push notifications, the emails won't automatically download, will they? Isn't that a limitation of iOS apps? The app would just refresh everyone you go into it, unlike Apple's Mail app that can basically break all the rules cuz it's a native Apple app

Yes, no, no, what?!?

cloud 9
Nov 1, 2011, 07:20 AM
wait wait, isn't google the one whining how webapps are the future....
and now they bring a native ios app with MORE functionality?

I dislike Gmail, it looks ugly and there's NO intuitive design, I always have to search for buttons whenever I'm in my Gmail.

notjustjay
Nov 1, 2011, 07:32 AM
The one thing I miss (using Gmail on Apple's Mail.app) is the ability to go onto the server to search. If this app has that feature, then I'm sold.

marksman
Nov 1, 2011, 07:39 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is awesome. As someone who has run their own mail servers long before google existed u use gmail for domains exclusively now.

It is worth it just for the spam filtering alone. Only thing I miss is some of the missing gmail functionality on my iPhone so i will be glad to see this. Mail is something google does extraordinarily well. Better than anyone else

marksman
Nov 1, 2011, 07:43 AM

Please include google talk (chat) feature in this native mail app!! All the third-party chat apps really suck.

I have used beejive with googlechat for a few years although with iMessage I don't use it any longer. I did love all my chats being searchable in gmail

marksman
Nov 1, 2011, 07:46 AM

You can't think of a use for labels?

Well I have like 25k messages in my main gmail account and hundreds of labels. I don't know how anyone who gets more than 5 emails a day not use them.

deeddawg
Nov 1, 2011, 07:49 AM
The one thing I miss (using Gmail on Apple's Mail.app) is the ability to go onto the server to search. If this app has that feature, then I'm sold.

Are you sure this isn't working? I'm able to do this here, although I have Gmail set up as Exchange per Google's instructions (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740). Maybe it doesn't work if you use the Gmail setup which is IMAP rather than Activesync.

Alternately, you've been able to do this from gmail's mobile interface for a long time. Go to mail.google.com from Safari

marksman
Nov 1, 2011, 07:50 AM

It benefits you if you are a weirdo who might actually want the full functionality of gmail which is not available in the native apple mail app.

marksman
Nov 1, 2011, 07:51 AM

I have my gmail set up with imap on my phone and I can search via server right now on the apple app

notjustjay
Nov 1, 2011, 07:54 AM
Are you sure this isn't working? I'm able to do this here, although I have Gmail set up as Exchange per Google's instructions (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740). Maybe it doesn't work if you use the Gmail setup which is IMAP rather than Activesync.

Alternately, you've been able to do this from gmail's mobile interface for a long time. Go to mail.google.com from Safari

I have Google set to IMAP (whichever is the default setup when you follow Apple's iPhone setup screens) and then my mail downloads to the Mail.app on my MacBook Pro, so essentially the phone only gets to see the emails I receive in between sessions sitting at my laptop. Which is how I want it. But sometimes I need to go back and search, and it can't. Yes, my current plan is to switch to Safari, log in via the web interface, and do my search from there.

jayducharme
Nov 1, 2011, 08:06 AM
I really enjoy the iOS Mail App, however I'd love to have my labels.

I have GMail synced with my iDevices (and my Mac), and labels work just fine for me. The only pain right now is that to create or delete a label on an iDevice, I have to go directly to GMail with Safari and do it there. But then when I go back to Mail, everything syncs up and works fine. So if you do lots of label management in GMail, the native app might offer a better experience.

kirky29
Nov 1, 2011, 08:39 AM
This'd make me happy!
Then I could have the native app for my personal email, and the Gmail app for the work email. At the moment I just keep my personal email on my iPhone, the work email gets too many emails and the number icon gets too high for me to cope with!

SAD*FACED*CLOWN
Nov 1, 2011, 08:47 AM
why is this needed? the mail app is fine

bpaluzzi
Nov 1, 2011, 08:56 AM
why is this needed? the mail app is fine

Go into mail.app and set it up so that:
1 - you receive push notifications
2 - when you delete a message, it's really deleted
3 - you can assign multiple labels to a message
4 - you can mark something as spam

You can't do 3 or 4 at all, and you can't do 1 and 2 together.

That's why this is needed (for some people)

BoxerGT2.5
Nov 1, 2011, 08:58 AM
How about a native google talk app????? Lets get that.

ericrwalker
Nov 1, 2011, 09:01 AM
I am a person with a few email addresses. A Gmail, work email, and my own hosted domain email through gmail apps. I don't ever see myself using a native app since I like the mail app that came with the phone to host all my email addresses.

EDIT: Though I don't see a problem with giving people a choice.

justinfreid
Nov 1, 2011, 09:03 AM

- Atrus

Just so you know, you can manage labels through the folder system in Mail.app.

bpaluzzi
Nov 1, 2011, 09:09 AM
Just so you know, you can manage labels through the folder system in Mail.app.

Only if you treat labels as folders (one to many). Labels aren't, though. They're many-to-many. And there's no way to use that functionality in Mail.app

cvaldes
Nov 1, 2011, 09:11 AM
They do.

You can get a free me.com address when you sign up for iCloud. Apple still supports legacy users of the MobileMe service which was a direct descendant of the .Mac service (Apple still manages mac.com addresses). The me.com mail servers allegedly run on Sun Solaris boxes with Oracle software.

Note that apple.com e-mail addresses exist, but they are reserved for corporate use (e.g., employees, retail stores). You will never have an apple.com e-mail unless your paychecks come from Apple Inc.

There is absolutely no requirement that you have to use Gmail/MSN/Yahoo. The built-in Mail app will use basically any standard e-mail system that supports POP3 or IMAP protocols. Heck, you could run your own e-mail server and it would work with that. No one is twisting your arm into using Gmail/MSN/Yahoo/whatever.

Le Big Mac
Nov 1, 2011, 09:20 AM
I would love for this to happen. I am getting road killed here without the Send Email As feature. Also on Mac OS X Lion, I need a Gmail App that allows me to use Send Email As and import all mail to my computer.

Why can't you put in your "as" address as the "send from"? You have to add the address in the gmail web interface.

On the iPhone, if you want to be able to choose, type out all your send from email addresses (in notes, or wherever), separate by commas, and then select all of them. Copy. Then go into email settings, and in send from field paste that selection. It will paste all the email addresses there, and then you will get a drop-down menu you can activate when you send a message to choose among them.

gloryunited
Nov 1, 2011, 09:23 AM

I've been using and loving Gmail since the day of 7 invitations per user. But what you've said is not true. Gmail does have a line of ads (no picture) above the inbox.

They even include some SPAM recipes there, in the Spam section, for fun. ;)

Back to the topic, I'd LOVE a Gmail app on my iPhone 4S (will buy it soon)!

Sardonick007
Nov 1, 2011, 09:25 AM
Regardless of what the centrists feel or comment on, I think an option like this is a good thing to balance out those who might not otherwise enjoy the way things are currently. Personally, it doesn't matter to me because my droid does well with its own app and my Macs do well with their fast connections. As options go, however, this is another example of good cross platforming aimed at the user base.

MacBoy88
Nov 1, 2011, 09:38 AM

1) Set it up with ActiveSync
2) MOVE the message to the trash, do not use the trash icon as it will archive the message.
3) Not sure....I have a ton of filters that do that for me...
4) MOVE the message to the SPAM folder. It's now marked as SPAM

----------

Why can't you put in your "as" address as the "send from"? You have to add the address in the gmail web interface.

On the iPhone, if you want to be able to choose, type out all your send from email addresses (in notes, or wherever), separate by commas, and then select all of them. Copy. Then go into email settings, and in send from field paste that selection. It will paste all the email addresses there, and then you will get a drop-down menu you can activate when you send a message to choose among them.

If you set it up with ActiveSync, go to m.google.com, tap sync, select your device and enable send mail as checkbox. SIMPLE!

bpaluzzi
Nov 1, 2011, 09:40 AM
2) MOVE the message to the trash, do not use the trash icon as it will archive the message.
3) Not sure....I have a ton of filters that do that for me...
4) MOVE the message to the SPAM folder. It's now marked as SPAM

1 is possible, as I said, but it breaks the delete function.
2 is a hack, due to the Exchange ActiveSync.
3 isn't possible
4 doesn't do anything other than moving the message. it doesn't report back to Google as Spam, which means it won't improve your spam algorithm

justinfreid
Nov 1, 2011, 09:50 AM
3 isn't possible
4 doesn't do anything other than moving the message. it doesn't report back to Google as Spam, which means it won't improve your spam algorithm

Moving any message to the spam folder in any manner causes Google to analyze it. Check Google's support docs on Outlook and iOS.

bpaluzzi
Nov 1, 2011, 09:54 AM
Moving any message to the spam folder in any manner causes Google to analyze it. Check Google's support docs on Outlook and iOS.

Wow, that's awesome :-) Okay, then I was definitely wrong on that. Good to know. Still would be nice to have a one-click "Mark as spam" (including multiple message select), but at least the functionality is available.

MacBoy88
Nov 1, 2011, 10:00 AM
3 isn't possible

1. Gmail, by design, prefers archiving over deleting a message
2. Not a hack, its by design - "Delete a message in inbox > Move that message to Archive" (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=161771&topic=14252)
4. Not according to Google - "Move a message to Spam > Report a message as spam" (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=161771&topic=14252)

----------

Wow, that's awesome :-) Okay, then I was definitely wrong on that. Good to know. Still would be nice to have a one-click "Mark as spam" (including multiple message select), but at least the functionality is available.

In your inbox, click edit, mark the multiple messages you want to move, tap move > then spam. You just marked multiple messages as SPAM :D

dashiel
Nov 1, 2011, 10:07 AM
Google bringing the confusing and ambiguous feature set of Android to iOS.

If youíre not paying for a product or service - you are the product.

You donít understand how Gmail works? Google reads your email, just like it tracks your web usage to better tailor your ad experience. You donít see ads in native Gmail clients, but thatís not where they make their money. Google sells the content of your email to advertisers. You didnít think it was coincidence when you sent an email to your friend about the new Xbox game then the next time you surfed the web you saw an ad for said game did you?

Now Iím not saying ad tailoring is a bad thing, to the contrary if Iím going to see an ad Iíd like it to be about something I am interested in, but itís important to understand that Google and ďfreeĒ isnít some magnanimous gesture and there isnít a cost involved.

Menel
Nov 1, 2011, 10:18 AM
The one thing I miss (using Gmail on Apple's Mail.app) is the ability to go onto the server to search. If this app has that feature, then I'm sold.qft

Though you could, and I have contemplated this, but haven't made jump.

Configure exchange for Google, and only sync cal and contacts for push sync, but leave mail set off.

Then create a regular gmail account, for the email portion. Yea don't get email push, but would have server side searching...

GiantSteve
Nov 1, 2011, 10:19 AM

This benefits Apple by providing users of one of the biggest email platforms with a fully functioning clients that takes advantage of all the Gmail functionality. I know for me, and many other Android users, a native Gmail client will make switching to iPhone very attractive.

So in the middle of a platform war making it easier for users of your biggest competitor to switch to your side is a huge advantage.

FSUSem1noles
Nov 1, 2011, 10:21 AM
No thanks, that's just another icon and app that will have to go on my home screen or in my dock.. I'll continue using the default mail app..

Westside guy
Nov 1, 2011, 10:27 AM
Having used both OSes, I prefer iOS over Android by a significant margin - but there are a few Google-specific apps I'd miss if I got an iPhone. Gmail is one of those, so this is great news!

(another is Google's Navigation with Voice, which is amazing for a free app)

AppleInLVX
Nov 1, 2011, 10:29 AM
Hm. Since I bought the 4s, I've wanted to move to apple mail entirely, and have done for the most part. Thing is, the spam filtering is orders of magnitude better in gmail. I get more spam than real mail at apple, and the system works better in google. I love everything about the Apple ecosystem, but they've got to at least get spam under control. I subscribe no where, I give out my .me address to no one I don't know personally. Given how xenophobic I am with my address, it shocks me the level of spam I get from apple, and I am totally lasse faire with my gmail account, and I get maybe one spam a month.

Apple needs to up its game with this. Is it because gmail is such a group thing that when anyone marks a message as spam, it propagates to the whole system? Whatever they're doing, it's awesome, and it's why I'll use this, in spite of my desire to move away. Sigh.

Drumjim85
Nov 1, 2011, 10:29 AM

Maybe someone else already said this, but Google's products aren't free. You're just the product they're selling, not the client.

bigjnyc
Nov 1, 2011, 10:30 AM

By ANY other device do you mean android devices where Google already makes money off licensing the OS? Remember they dont make any money in iOS, and the app will be free so they could very well make that version ad-supported

The moral of the story is dont make assumptions and dont call someone else an ass for making one while slipping in an assumption of your own.

rwilliams
Nov 1, 2011, 10:36 AM

You can't think of a use for labels?

Well I have like 25k messages in my main gmail account and hundreds of labels. I don't know how anyone who gets more than 5 emails a day not use them.

Wow, that's a lot of email. I used to hoard messages like that, but realized that I never went back to them, so they were taking up space for no reason. And as I've gotten older, I can't stand clutter.

tido2012
Nov 1, 2011, 10:44 AM

I agree, while its not the best the use. I'm currently on an airplane and using google docs on the iPad. I believe there's a lot of room for improvement. I tend to use excel quite a bit but Im sure others would appreciate all the other programs with google docs. I have quick office pro HD app on it but I don't like how you have to click the box to see the entire contents of each box. Anyways, this is definitely a good start.

bpaluzzi
Nov 1, 2011, 11:00 AM
1. Gmail, by design, prefers archiving over deleting a message

I'm the user. I don't really care what Gmail prefers by design :-) When I delete a message, I want it deleted. Not archived.

2. Not a hack, its by design - "Delete a message in inbox > Move that message to Archive" (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=161771&topic=14252)

See above. It's a poor design for me. The hack part I meant was the "move a message into the deleted folder to delete". That's a hack when I have a trash can icon right on the message.

4. Not according to Google - "Move a message to Spam > Report a message as spam" (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=161771&topic=14252)

Pleasantly surprised by that one, and I was definitely wrong on it.

In your inbox, click edit, mark the multiple messages you want to move, tap move > then spam. You just marked multiple messages as SPAM :D

Yup, that's what I do now -- but it's not the one-click ability you have on gmail.com, in Sparrow, or on Android. I imagine the native app will give that function.

spillproof
Nov 1, 2011, 11:11 AM
My university uses Gmail and I have a ton of labels and stars that I really miss seeing when checking my email in the native mail app.

I can't wait to try this app.

Westside guy
Nov 1, 2011, 11:21 AM
My university uses Gmail and I have a ton of labels and stars that I really miss seeing when checking my email in the native mail app.

I can't wait to try this app.

Labels and stars work as you'd expect (at least in the Android Gmail app) - but if you use "Labs" features like Super Stars, those do not get implemented in the mobile app.

That said, the mobile app is great.

JayLenochiniMac
Nov 1, 2011, 11:26 AM

This now works when set up as push Gmail (through Exchange) on iOS 5. It used to not work before.

notjustjay
Nov 1, 2011, 11:30 AM
Configure exchange for Google, and only sync cal and contacts for push sync, but leave mail set off.

Then create a regular gmail account, for the email portion. Yea don't get email push, but would have server side searching...

This now works when set up as push Gmail (through Exchange) on iOS 5. It used to not work before.

Thanks guys, I'll give this a try!

Rodimus Prime
Nov 1, 2011, 12:05 PM
I've been using and loving Gmail since the day of 7 invitations per user. But what you've said is not true. Gmail does have a line of ads (no picture) above the inbox.

You are confusing web interface with the client side interface.

I believe even yahoo runs ads like that about its free inboxes web side. It has been away since I logged into my free yahoo account.

You don’t understand how Gmail works? Google reads your email, just like it tracks your web usage to better tailor your ad experience. You don’t see ads in native Gmail clients, but that’s not where they make their money. Google sells the content of your email to advertisers. You didn’t think it was coincidence when you sent an email to your friend about the new Xbox game then the next time you surfed the web you saw an ad for said game did you?

Now I’m not saying ad tailoring is a bad thing, to the contrary if I’m going to see an ad I’d like it to be about something I am interested in, but it’s important to understand that Google and “free” isn’t some magnanimous gesture and there isn’t a cost involved.

Yes I understand how Gmail works. You also know as much as I do that all the free email systems out there do that and I am willing to bet your ISP providing email system does the same thing for the a way to pay for the service but this has nothing to do with client side apps.

By ANY other device do you mean android devices where Google already makes money off licensing the OS? Remember they dont make any money in iOS, and the app will be free so they could very well make that version ad-supported

The moral of the story is dont make assumptions and dont call someone else an ass for making one while slipping in an assumption of your own.

By other devices that I used that used the official GMail client.
Some LG dumb phone.
Blackberry
Windows Mobile 6.5
and yes Android.

All of these I used the gmail client provided by Google and none of them had any ad displayed in the client so yes I will call the guy I originally quoted an ass for making an assumption like he did because history proves other wise.
4 complete different OS and in none of them had an ad in them.

Also what I just posted proves you made a bad assumption about me thinking I have never used the client on different phones or OS which I have 4 complete different ones with first hand experiences.

Snypod
Nov 1, 2011, 12:43 PM
I really hope this is true, cause I'm tired of Mail's crippled threaded view which doesn't include sent messages. Also, this would mean the Sparrow mail app (which is in development (http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/sparrow_gmail_app_for_iphone_will_apple_approve.php)) has a better chance of being approved.

SkippyThorson
Nov 1, 2011, 01:37 PM

Holy crap! :p It never fails that every time I thought I had seen a funny post, another comes along to trump it. These were excellent.

JoshJosh117
Nov 1, 2011, 03:13 PM
Would be nice to also have Google Docs as an alternative to iWork.

marcusj0015
Nov 1, 2011, 04:20 PM
totaly stupid idea. Mail.app doesn't already support gmail or anything :rollseyes: where is a Docs app?

sclawis300
Nov 1, 2011, 04:49 PM

I have my gmail set up with imap on my phone and I can search via server right now on the apple app

I have lots of trouble searching for emails on my iphone. Not sure what the deal is. Sometimes I can search and it pulls up nothing, even though I can scroll down to the date and see the email I was searching for.

Rodimus Prime
Nov 1, 2011, 04:51 PM
totaly stupid idea. Mail.app doesn't already support gmail or anything :rollseyes: where is a Docs app?

no it does not fully support Gmail. The Mail.app does not all access to labels, staring ect.

sclawis300
Nov 1, 2011, 04:58 PM
At fist I was all like, "this is stupid, I am not checking my email with 2 different apps." Then it hit me. Maybe I can assign a different sound to the gmail notification, meaning I will know if something is personal or work, without having to pick up the phone to look at it. Second, no more work signature on personal emails sent from my iphone!!!!!!!!!!!

imageWIS
Nov 1, 2011, 05:21 PM
About time. iOS' mail program is good, but its has some integration issues with Gmail.

reltm
Nov 1, 2011, 05:51 PM

Actually this depends on which folder you are in. If you have Mail.app set up with ActiveSync to get push notifications, you cannot delete a message from the inbox by any means that I'm aware of.

If you move the message from "Inbox" to "Trash" while viewing it in the inbox, it actually gets labeled "All Mail" and you can still find your message in the "All Mail" folder in Mail.app. If you move the message from "All Mail" to "Trash", *then* the message actually will get deleted. But this is cumbersome because most people like to view their messages from their inbox, but you can only delete messages if you are viewing them from the "All Mail" folder in Mail.app.

Another thing I miss about the native Gmail app from Android is the ability to send messages from a different email address. I.e. In the Android version, if you have your account set up to send and receive accounts other than your primary @gmail account, you can simply select which other account you want to send from (e.g. a different @gmail account, or perhaps a .com or .edu account). You can't do this in Mail.app without actually adding the other account as an entirely separate account. But then you end up with multiple notifications and the difficulty of managing multiple email inboxes.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how a native Gmail app works in iOS. Bring it! :-)

chuckles:)
Nov 1, 2011, 06:31 PM
I can't really see this offering a whole lot of benefits over the built-in client... I use it with my gmail account, and can't see someone needing something much more powerful while on the go.

MacBoy88
Nov 1, 2011, 08:26 PM

Actually this depends on which folder you are in. If you have Mail.app set up with ActiveSync to get push notifications, you cannot delete a message from the inbox by any means that I'm aware of.

If you move the message from "Inbox" to "Trash" while viewing it in the inbox, it actually gets labeled "All Mail" and you can still find your message in the "All Mail" folder in Mail.app. If you move the message from "All Mail" to "Trash", *then* the message actually will get deleted. But this is cumbersome because most people like to view their messages from their inbox, but you can only delete messages if you are viewing them from the "All Mail" folder in Mail.app.

Another thing I miss about the native Gmail app from Android is the ability to send messages from a different email address. I.e. In the Android version, if you have your account set up to send and receive accounts other than your primary @gmail account, you can simply select which other account you want to send from (e.g. a different @gmail account, or perhaps a .com or .edu account). You can't do this in Mail.app without actually adding the other account as an entirely separate account. But then you end up with multiple notifications and the difficulty of managing multiple email inboxes.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how a native Gmail app works in iOS. Bring it! :-)

As I said, if you MOVE (NOT trash) your message from the inbox, to the trash folder, it will delete. Yes I'm using Google Sync.

Le Big Mac
Nov 1, 2011, 09:31 PM

The following works in other contexts (not sure about activesync):

In gmail settings (web access)
1) In POP/IMAP settings
When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:

Archive the message (default)
--> Move the message to the Trash
Immediately delete the message forever

Choose the middle one.

2) In Labels
choose: "all mail" - hide and uncheck "show in IMAP"

What this will do is when you move a message out of your inbox by deleting it won't go to All Mail because it's no longer a visible IMAP folder and will instead end up in the trash.

iJimboG3
Nov 1, 2011, 10:55 PM

Would Be Nice If They Included GCal some how since we can't get ICal and GCal to play nice with iCloud.

robertsduney
Nov 2, 2011, 12:33 AM
Wow. There are some really dumb people in this forum.

telegix
Nov 2, 2011, 02:00 AM

Your right, but not about 1 and 2. You should setup gmail as an exchange account and not via the gmail settings:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740

reltm
Nov 2, 2011, 02:27 AM
As I said, if you MOVE (NOT trash) your message from the inbox, to the trash folder, it will delete. Yes I'm using Google Sync.

I meant the same as you -- move the msg into the Mail.app "Trash" folder from the inbox. I didn't mean to imply using the trash button. After your message I checked again and still couldn't delete a message using Exchange ActiveSync setup (i.e. not the Gmail IMAP configuration) from the inbox; only from the All Mail folder. Good for you if this works. I just can't seem to replicate it.

The following works in other contexts (not sure about activesync):

In gmail settings (web access)
1) In POP/IMAP settings
When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:

Archive the message (default)
--> Move the message to the Trash
Immediately delete the message forever

Choose the middle one.

2) In Labels
choose: "all mail" - hide and uncheck "show in IMAP"

What this will do is when you move a message out of your inbox by deleting it won't go to All Mail because it's no longer a visible IMAP folder and will instead end up in the trash.

this is a great tip; I didn't know about these IMAP options. Thanks! I changed the settings but it didn't seem to affect the EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) setup, however. Guess I'll be waiting for the new Gmail app after all! :-)

happydude
Nov 2, 2011, 11:18 AM

that would seem to be the only benefit i see. apple's own app works fine for me and i'd guess 95% of users. i'd only download and use for gchat.

andylyon
Nov 2, 2011, 11:32 AM
NOW RELEASED!

Here is the UK app store link (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gmail/id422689480?mt=8).

citi
Nov 2, 2011, 11:38 AM

this. I can't tell you how many times I've had to pull of the web version just to do a proper search.

bpaluzzi
Nov 2, 2011, 11:40 AM
Your right, but not about 1 and 2. You should setup gmail as an exchange account and not via the gmail settings:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740

Did you not read any of the other responses? You can't do 1 and 2 together. It's one or the other. Exchange doesn't let you delete correctly, "normal" Gmail doesn't give you push.

citi
Nov 2, 2011, 11:48 AM

You are flat out wrong. The NATIVE app does not have any ads. Take a look at Android, which I did use at one time, and you will see this. We are not talking about the HTML5 browser magic that we currently use but a true app.

----------

It still doesn't work all that well. It's better than nothing but it misses a lot more than it hits.

citi
Nov 2, 2011, 12:22 PM

Would Be Nice If They Included GCal some how since we can't get ICal and GCal to play nice with iCloud.

why do you need icloud when gmail has CalDev?

AppleDavie
Nov 4, 2011, 01:00 AM

Well to be truthful I didn't honestly know. Forgive me. But its not nice to insult someone for lack of knowledge. :)

----------

iCloud comes with a free @me.com address that you can check easily through the mail app and through icloud.com . You have to go into your icloud setting on your device and enable "mail."

-----------------------------------
What I'd really love for Google to make is a reader app. The Mail app takes care of Gmail for me. I'd just like a reader app. Please make that happen!

thanks. i didnt know that icloud came with mail. :)

Menel
Nov 4, 2011, 05:08 AM
Well to be truthful I didn't honestly know. Forgive me. But its not nice to insult someone for lack of knowledge. :)

----------

thanks. i didnt know that icloud came with mail. :)woow, and i backed you up in the vein of sarcasm because I couldnt imagine such ignorance, :(

reltm
Nov 5, 2011, 01:51 AM
this. I can't tell you how many times I've had to pull of the web version just to do a proper search.

Doesn't iOS Mail.app have the option to "Continue search on server" if it doesn't find what you're looking for in the local messages? Or does that not work well for some reason? I've used it in the past and it seemed to work (though without the nice gmail search modifiers like label: date: from: etc).