Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Is it really not possible to add new words to the spelling dictionary?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
You can add new Phrases, its kind of the same thing.

Settings> General> Keyboard> Add New Shortcut

Phrases is supposed to work by creating a shortcut like "OMW" and the phone will change it to "On My Way", but you can create words like "Hell" to stay as "Hell"

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Is it really not possible to add new words to the spelling dictionary?

I was advised in another thread (I asked the same question) that you can add words to the dictionary when a suggestion bubble pops up and you dismiss it. However, if no suggestion bubble pops up, there is no way to select that word and manually add it (or at least not that I know of).

Stella

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I was advised in another thread (I asked the same question) that you can add words to the dictionary when a suggestion bubble pops up and you dismiss it. However, if no suggestion bubble pops up, there is no way to select that word and manually add it (or at least not that I know of).

Thanks!

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
OP, do not be deceived by the word 'shortcuts'. In iOS 5, shortcuts is your dictionary. In order to add a word to the dictionary, just go to:

Settings > General > Keyboard > Shortcuts

Then type the desired word into the 'Phrase' field, but skip the 'Shortcut' field. Click save. Voilà!

Now the word is in the dictionary and it will never prompt you to correct it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.