Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
Anyone have any issues or luck with Ripping and encoding Pirates 4? tried just about everything. it keeps shutting down handbrake. I know it's title 13 but I can get handbrake to even go throught the titles. I even have run it through MTR Pro which created a iso file that is 8.1gb but when you open it up and move the videoTS folder to another folder its like 76.64 gb!!

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Have you tried using the "Open Source (Title Specific)" option in handbrake just to open title 13? If you have and it didn't work, then...

Have you tried the trial of rippit to see if it can give you a DVD rip to work with? If you have and it didn't work, then...

Lastly, have you tried using makemkv to make an .mkv of the movie to feed handbrake for encoding?

Those are the only suggestions I have at the moment. Seems like blu rays are easier to rip than DVDs these days.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Try using Rip it or Mac The Ripper (MTR will not work on new Mini) to Rip it to your HDD, then use HB to encode using Apple TV 1 preset, same issue with Toy Story 3, got past the stupid encryption finally.

The other thing you can do is copy the disk to your HDD, then use HB to Encode, this method is taxing on your SuperDrive but another successful method.

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
Have you tried using the "Open Source (Title Specific)" option in handbrake just to open title 13? If you have and it didn't work, then...

Have you tried the trial of rippit to see if it can give you a DVD rip to work with? If you have and it didn't work, then...

Lastly, have you tried using makemkv to make an .mkv of the movie to feed handbrake for encoding?

Those are the only suggestions I have at the moment. Seems like blu rays are easier to rip than DVDs these days.

That did it, Title specific was the way to go Thanks! I've been ripping for a while and never knew that feature existed.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Those are the only suggestions I have at the moment. Seems like blu rays are easier to rip than DVDs these days.[/QUOTE]

The Disney DVD's are near impossible, but you can work around them, also another off the wall DVD set was P90X from Beach Body, took me a while but I was able to RIP them and Encode them for my ATV bc I was destroying DVD's for some reason with my DVD player, also the overall quality of the newer DVD's I notice is not that good, I mean they scratch easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.