PDA

View Full Version : Charge A MacBook and iPad With TwelveSouth's PlugBug

MacRumors
Nov 1, 2011, 11:28 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/01/charge-a-macbook-and-ipad-with-twelvesouths-plugbug/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/plugbug.jpg

TwelveSouth's PlugBug (http://twelvesouth.com/products/plugbug/) fixes one of those problems you didn't know you had, in a very clever way. It's a $34.99 attachment that adds a USB charging port to the standard MagSafe power adapter for an Apple notebook. This way, users can charge an iPhone or iPad -- or any other USB device -- and a MacBook simultaneously, using the same wall outlet.

If one isn't using the MagSafe connector, it also works as a standalone USB charger providing up to 10 watts of power -- enough to refuel an iPad at top speed.

ia5gsiaL9Rk
The PlugBug is $34.99 and available via the TwelveSouth online store (http://twelvesouth.com/products/plugbug/).

Article Link: Charge A MacBook and iPad With TwelveSouth's PlugBug (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/01/charge-a-macbook-and-ipad-with-twelvesouths-plugbug/)

guzhogi
Nov 1, 2011, 11:33 AM
Anyone know which power cords for MacBooks it works with? All of them, or just specific ones (the 60 watt, 85 watt, etc.)?

Pretty cool anyways.

Ricky Smith
Nov 1, 2011, 11:33 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I've got a solution that saves you $35 plug the iPad into the USB port on the laptop you're charging.

enklined
Nov 1, 2011, 11:34 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I've got a solution that saves you $35 plug the iPad into the USB port on the laptop you're charging.

Came here to say this.

guzhogi
Nov 1, 2011, 11:35 AM

Don't the wall outlets provide more power than the regular USB ports on laptops? Not sure if that's true. If it is, your iDevice would charge faster on the wall outlet than the port in your laptop.

h1r0ll3r
Nov 1, 2011, 11:36 AM

Ooh but this one charges up faster than using USB :D But, yeah, nifty little device but that's about it. I guess if you're impatient or need to buy a new little trinket for your iPad/MacBook, I guess this might fill the void.

bretm
Nov 1, 2011, 11:36 AM

Yup. Or plug their iPad wall charger into that other socket right there above. And with this fantastic new idea of using the iPad wall charger, you can charge your iPad in a completely different room from your MacBook! Wow crazy.

BreuerEditor
Nov 1, 2011, 11:37 AM
I love how at :30 he says "If you want to carry less crap"...I haven't heard a company explain a product like that LOL

Menopause
Nov 1, 2011, 11:37 AM

What you're missing are: (1) you lose one USB port, (2) charging your iPad via your notebook's USB is *dead* slow, and (3) this device works as a standalone charger as well, so your $35 is worth it.

jowie
Nov 1, 2011, 11:38 AM
Nice design but I think they missed a trick here (being from the UK)... Why didn't they have the same interchangeable connector on the end of the PlugBug, so it worked fully internationally? Pull the UK plug off the end, attach the PlugBug and then attach the UK plug from the Apple charger onto the PlugBug... That would've been awesome.

As it is, I can only use the PlugBug if I'm travelling in the US... I love how they make this a 'feature'... :D

guan
Nov 1, 2011, 11:42 AM
Don't the wall outlets provide more power than the regular USB ports on laptops? Not sure if that's true. If it is, your iDevice would charge faster on the wall outlet than the port in your laptop.

With PC laptops perhaps, but at least according to System Information, my MacBook Air will provide the full 2.1A for an iPad when I plug one in, and 1A to my iPhone.

Amazing Iceman
Nov 1, 2011, 11:44 AM

Thank you for your 'smart advice'...

FYI, charging an iPad over a laptop's USB port is very slow as it only provides up to 500mA.
An iPad needs at least double of that for you to be able to charge it while using it.

Conclusion: You don't have an iPad, don't you? :D

kipj77
Nov 1, 2011, 11:46 AM
Don't set the charger on the screen. Made me cringe.

rossipoo
Nov 1, 2011, 11:50 AM
Nice design but I think they missed a trick here (being from the UK)... Why didn't they have the same interchangeable connector on the end of the PlugBug, so it worked fully internationally? Pull the UK plug off the end, attach the PlugBug and then attach the UK plug from the Apple charger onto the PlugBug... That would've been awesome.

As it is, I can only use the PlugBug if I'm travelling in the US... I love how they make this a 'feature'... :D

That and it it could have stacked for some super charging action.

Fazzy
Nov 1, 2011, 11:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Would they make a uk plug version?

Xenomorph
Nov 1, 2011, 11:53 AM
I just forwarded this to others at my company. I'm not a fan of the bright color, but having a USB port right there on the charger would be nice.

My co-worker is taking up two outlets for his MacBook Pro & iPad, and I use multiple outlets at home for my MacBook(s) and tablets. This would immediately help us both.

jfulcher
Nov 1, 2011, 11:59 AM

FYI, charging an iPad over a laptop's USB port is very slow as it only provides up to 500mA.
An iPad needs at least double of that for you to be able to charge it while using it.

Only old stuff charges at 500mA.

Jazwire
Nov 1, 2011, 11:59 AM
That would actually be very helpful for me, might pick have to pick one of these up.

Dragonforce
Nov 1, 2011, 12:00 PM
I read ButtPlug at first -_-

ArtOfWarfare
Nov 1, 2011, 12:15 PM
Am I the only one who thinks $35 is a kind of high price for such a product? Wouldn't $20 be more reasonable?

And that maybe they should have more than just one USB port?

Ulf1103
Nov 1, 2011, 12:20 PM
With PC laptops perhaps, but at least according to System Information, my MacBook Air will provide the full 2.1A for an iPad when I plug one in, and 1A to my iPhone.

Nice...
I guess the new MacBook pro's also can provide the full 2,1A for iPad?
Does anyone knows?

nagromme
Nov 1, 2011, 12:23 PM
Thatís neat, but Appleís separate charger is actually smaller, I think. At least the iPhone one, which CAN also charge an iPad (a little more slowly but itís fine). iPads and iPhones can share each otherís Apple chargers.

Still, one item to carry instead of two, whatever the size, could reduce drops/losses.

Westyfield2
Nov 1, 2011, 12:31 PM
Nice idea.

I don't like the red colour though, and only selling a US 2pin one is obviously going to limit their customers.

:D

expertmonk
Nov 1, 2011, 12:32 PM
My thoughts were initially aligned with those who are saying "plug it in to your computer's usb". But I get the point that it takes a lot longer to charge. That being said, I still do not see this device being worth it - at least in my case. I hardly ever charge my iPad during the day - I keep my charger by my night stand and charge it at night as needed. ALSO, when I have my macbook out and about long enough to require plugging in, in many cases I need to use the longer cord to get to an outlet - this device doesn't seem to work in that case. I see how this might be useful for some people - but I really wouldn't call it "clever".

SirChadwick
Nov 1, 2011, 12:32 PM
Great idea to piggyback on top of Apple's products. However, if you are not afraid of 120VAC outlet wiring, a USB wall plug is cool space saver.

hobo.hopkins
Nov 1, 2011, 12:45 PM
That's really clever!

fabian9
Nov 1, 2011, 12:46 PM

Is that interchangeable connector design that apple uses patented? I can imagine it would be and I guess that would stop them from implementing it, unfortunately.

mrsir2009
Nov 1, 2011, 12:48 PM
Great idea to piggyback on top of Apple's products. However, if you are not afraid of 120VAC outlet wiring, a USB wall plug is cool space saver.

Good idea, however the plugs seem a little close... How about this? (excuse my terrible cutting & pasting)

shartypants
Nov 1, 2011, 12:48 PM
Neat idea, but I can't use it, I always use the long cord that comes with the power brick. It doesn't look like it supports it, bummer.

HarryKeogh
Nov 1, 2011, 12:53 PM
Good idea, however the plugs seem a little close... How about this? (excuse my terrible cutting & pasting)

Yeah, but who wants to cut a bigger hole in their wall and change the gang box to accommodate this larger design?

jabbawok
Nov 1, 2011, 12:57 PM

What he said.

Also two USB ports would mean I could charge my iPad, iPhone and MacBook air.

batchtaster
Nov 1, 2011, 12:59 PM
Or plug their iPad wall charger into that other socket right there above.

Except that it won't plug in there, because of the shape. If they were side-by-side, maybe, but one above the other won't work.

Which brings me to my pet peeve: manufacturers who make their power adapters too big to fit side-by-side in wall sockets or on a powerboard. Some of them seem to do it with vicious intent, adding "wings" to the sides of their plugs, to cause as much inconvenience as possible.

Sardonick007
Nov 1, 2011, 01:07 PM
I get the 10 watt aspect, which you can't get from a standard usb port. I get that you may not want to eat up a usb port on your laptop. I get the ugly red color. I damn sure won't get a $35 usb charger. I also don't sit in front of a wall outlet with my equipment. Unless I'm at a hippie retreat where they don't have chairs and desks.

BrentD
Nov 1, 2011, 01:33 PM
Great idea to piggyback on top of Apple's products. However, if you are not afraid of 120VAC outlet wiring, a USB wall plug is cool space saver.Or...you can still be portable and 1/3 the price of this "BugPlug" with one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-Surge-Protector-Charger/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320172209&sr=8-2

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Gz4KpCCZL._AA300_.jpg

Mr. Chewbacca
Nov 1, 2011, 01:33 PM

I havent checked the specs for all laptops but I do know that the most recient MBP will charde the ipad quickly but that is a new development. The core duo and older would be a slow charge.

Even with having the newest MBP I still think this is pretty cool and would consider getting one.

chuckles:)
Nov 1, 2011, 01:54 PM
I've always wondered why there aren't more accessories that take advantage of apple's interchangeable plug system.

I don't see much use for this one, but i would love one with surge protection.

dXTC
Nov 1, 2011, 02:51 PM
Or...you can still be portable and 1/3 the price of this "BugPlug" with one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-Surge-Protector-Charger/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320172209&sr=8-2

Image (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Gz4KpCCZL._AA300_.jpg)

For The [maternal-bleeping] Win!
This reminds me... I need to pick me up one of these bad boys.

garylapointe
Nov 1, 2011, 03:12 PM
What you're missing are: (1) you lose one USB port, (2) charging your iPad via your notebook's USB is *dead* slow, and (3) this device works as a standalone charger as well, so your $35 is worth it.

But I'm going to plug it in and hit sync. And now my (whatever) item I'm charging is on the desk and not on the floor.

I will agree that it'll probably be faster, but I still think it's odd. And it is a little pricey. USB chargers are cheap but just as small as this.

Plus, this prevents me from using the longer charging cord on my device. And I can't take the charger for one device and leave the other behind.

And how does this fit all MacBook Air and MacBook Pro adaptors?!? It must not fit or hang off the edge or something.

Not really excited about this... Sorry.

Gary

heffeque
Nov 1, 2011, 03:13 PM
Ooh but this one charges up faster than using USB :D But, yeah, nifty little device but that's about it. I guess if you're impatient or need to buy a new little trinket for your iPad/MacBook, I guess this might fill the void.
I guess some people didn't know that Apple's computers have 2x USB power than normal computers. They usually work at 1x USB power (so as not to fry stuff up), but when a device asks for more power (for example an iPad when charging) it gives up to 3x the normal power.

Normal USB 2.0: 0.5 Amps.
Modern (2007+) Apple USB 2.0: 1.1 Amps.
What an iPad asks for at peak performance while charging: 2.1 Amps.

That's why some motherboard makers are making these things specifically for Apple gadget owners:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2039021

jasonv1
Nov 1, 2011, 03:17 PM
I've got one of those in my travel kit; I can't remember if it provides enough (USB) juice to charge iPods/Pads/Phones though.

Best thing? The plug swivels. Perfect for hotel desks/cruiseships/etc where you might have a funky plug layout.

Or...you can still be portable and 1/3 the price of this "BugPlug" with one of these:

heffeque
Nov 1, 2011, 03:20 PM

Your MacBook Air provides 1.1 Amps at the most, not 2.1 Amps.

danpass
Nov 1, 2011, 03:20 PM
neat ........................ now if only they had turned the blades to come out sideways and make the assembly flush with the wall .........

ramuman
Nov 1, 2011, 03:21 PM
I hate the jarring red color.

nutts
Nov 1, 2011, 03:30 PM
As other people have already mostly mentioned, I'd happily pay $35 (or even slightly more) for one that:

- has two USB ports for charging both my iPad and iPhone simultaneously
- uses the same Apple interchangeable plug at the wall end, so we can also use Apple's UK or EU plug connections for worldwide use
- contains some sort of anti-surge protection like the Belkin etc

Now that would be something!

gglockner
Nov 1, 2011, 03:37 PM

Cute but not portable.

----------

I'm in for one. It reduces the clutter in my travel bag. Sure, it's not necessary for home, but a nice space saver in my travel bag.

Considering that Apple got HyperMac to cease and desist with modifying the MagSafe charger, anyone who wants a PlugBug should buy while they're available.

----------

- uses the same Apple interchangeable plug at the wall end, so we can also use Apple's UK or EU plug connections for worldwide use

Not so easy - it seems this PlugBug is a replacement for the plug at the end of a MagSafe adaptor. If the PlugBug had interchangeable plugs, then it might not be sturdy enough (a plug on a plug on a charger...). Unfortunately, it seems the only way to use this PlugBug in other countries - for now - is to use a travel adaptor with a US socket and your desired plug.

sclawis300
Nov 1, 2011, 04:17 PM

Conclusion: You don't proofread much, DO you?

garylapointe
Nov 1, 2011, 04:18 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Gz4KpCCZL._AA300_.jpg

Just for the record, this is HUGE since it's a surge suppressor too. But I love mine. I take it on trips (lots of brownouts in Costa Rica), but I don't keep it in my normal laptop bag.

And it's only $11.60 and qualifies for free super saver shipping. Get 3 for $34.80 :)

And it gives me 2 additional outlets (the MacBook would take one) plus $25,000 of insurance on your products too. And the outlet swivels 360-ish degrees (270?).

But I just went to find mine (to give you the output amperage) and can't find it, so it's clearly not that huge. Someone's on-line review says "5V / 500mA at each port"...

Gary

skier777
Nov 1, 2011, 04:24 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-Surge-Protector-Charger/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271245915&sr=8-2

Cheaper. And been posted already...

sclawis300
Nov 1, 2011, 04:26 PM
I just forwarded this to others at my company. I'm not a fan of the bright color, but having a USB port right there on the charger would be nice.

My co-worker is taking up two outlets for his MacBook Pro & iPad, and I use multiple outlets at home for my MacBook(s) and tablets. This would immediately help us both.

Am I the only one that uses a surge protector? One strip has what, like 6 outlets on it.

Consultant
Nov 1, 2011, 04:29 PM

Nope. Unless you got an iPad and an old mac, but new Mac charges iPad at wall charger speed.
iPhone + iPod touch charges fine on most computers.

2. NOPE. All current Apple computers charge iPad at fast rates.

Nice...
I guess the new MacBook pro's also can provide the full 2,1A for iPad?
Does anyone knows?

YES. It provides full charge speed.

The box behind the plate is smaller than that. Your USB ports are too close to the edge.

garylapointe
Nov 1, 2011, 04:35 PM

If you search eBay they have some for 240 outlets but I didn't see any 120 ones. Odd...

Gary

SvP
Nov 1, 2011, 05:14 PM
Buttplug?

Mike Oxard
Nov 1, 2011, 05:15 PM
It would be great if the PlugBug fitted onto Apple's AirPort Expresses. It could be used to power USB powered speakers for AirPlay. The USB on the AE isn't enough to run even low power speakers unfotunately.

devinci99
Nov 1, 2011, 05:33 PM
OMG, I just came back from a vacation to Cancun, and while I was carrying charger for my laptop, ipod, and ipad, I was thinking of this idea!

I wish there was TWO usb charging ports instead of 1, so I can charge both my ipad and ipod/iphone at the same time. THREE if they can fit it in. :D

Last I check (I have a 2009 Mac Pro & 2007 Macbook), the USB port on the PC/Mac doesn't provide enough power to charge an iPad. I plugged my ipad2 the other day, and it doesn't even charge. -- I'll try a direct connect again (was using a powered usb HUB recently -- so don't remember the result of direct plugin).

RMo
Nov 1, 2011, 05:44 PM

Regular USB ports, yes. Recent Apple USB ports, only sort of.

Apple has slightly altered their implementation to allow devices to request a "high-power" mode, which I assume was intended so you can both use and charge an iPad at the same time when it's connected to a Mac. (Try it on almost any PC, and you can only do one or the other at a given time.)

Apple's high-power USB ports still won't be able to provide the 10 W that the iPad wall charger (or the PlugBug) will, but should max out around 5.5 (their spec says 1100 mA at 5 V). For comparison, an ordinary powered USB port will do about 2.5 W (500 mA at 5 V). Ones farther from the host may do worse (e.g., an Apple wired keyboard port might do 0.5 W).

Really, either of the top two are fast enough for me--and the lowest directly-connected option still isn't bad unless I want to use the iPad at the same time as it's charging.

This product seems a little expensive (and does the iPad charger consume extra power compared to just the Magsafe adapter when it's not in use? someone with a Kill-A-Watt should check) and inconvenient if you keep your charger in a hard-to-reach place, but I suppose there might be market for it.

Me, I'm fine with the USB ports on my Mac. I've never even used the external charger. I wouldn't be surprised if slower charging is actually better for the battery, to boot (less heat?).

danahn17
Nov 1, 2011, 05:54 PM
Man... I wish I thought of this. Such a simple solution!

As for plugging it into a computer, if I plug in my iPad to my MBP, it will charge... but reaaaaalllllyyyyy slowly (at least compared to using the wall charger). I'll usually keep it charging overnight. If I'm using my Lenovo ThinkPad (need it for work), the iPad won't even charge via USB.

It's a nice, elegant solution but like what others posted, there are other items that would essentially accomplish the same thing for cheaper... it just won't be as "tidy" as it won't attach to Apple's power supply.

SuperSnake2012
Nov 1, 2011, 07:42 PM
Nope. Unless you got an iPad and an old mac, but new Mac charges iPad at wall charger speed.
iPhone + iPod touch charges fine on most computers.

When did Apple start making computers that do this? I have a late 2008 Macbook and it might only charge my iPad 10% in an hour.

Lukeyy19
Nov 1, 2011, 07:44 PM
deleted

RMo
Nov 1, 2011, 08:26 PM
When did Apple start making computers that do this? I have a late 2008 Macbook and it might only charge my iPad 10% in an hour.

See my post above. The OP isn't entirely correct, but it's faster than an ordinary USB port.

Berk Thomas
Nov 1, 2011, 08:55 PM

I bought the $39 Apple World Travel Kit. For $4 more, I get a USB wall socket charger, and extra 32 pin/USB cable and about 6 interchangeable plugs that can be used along with the mag-safe charger in pretty much any country of the world. That includes an extra US plug so I can keep a spare in my other bag.

This was golden when I went to South America earlier in the year.

Berk Thomas
Nov 1, 2011, 09:14 PM
Just for the record, this is HUGE since it's a surge suppressor too. But I love mine. I take it on trips (lots of brownouts in Costa Rica), but I don't keep it in my normal laptop bag.

And it's only $11.60 and qualifies for free super saver shipping. Get 3 for $34.80 :)

And it gives me 2 additional outlets (the MacBook would take one) plus $25,000 of insurance on your products too. And the outlet swivels 360-ish degrees (270?).

But I just went to find mine (to give you the output amperage) and can't find it, so it's clearly not that huge. Someone's on-line review says "5V / 500mA at each port"...

Gary

I've often wondered why people pay extra for travel surge suppressors. The extra outlets are great, but the surge suppression is an unnecessary expense. The transformer in the cord does exactly what a surge suppressor would do so having another is excessive. The manufacturers seem to know this. If you compare the surge suppression in these things to others, you'll find that they are usually going with the least amount of components that would legally allow them to say that they have surge suppression.

Surge suppression was necessary for notebooks when you plugged the computer directly into the wall with no transformer in the middle (think Toshibas circa 1998) but not now when everything has a transformer in the middle. Oh, and try collecting on that $25K insurance policy (actually a connected-equipment warranty). There are lots of caveats in the fine print.

However, if it makes you feel better, by all means pay the extra $11.60. You do get 2 extra outlets and 2 USB charging ports, and that alone is certainly worth the money if you get stuck in airports regularly. ("Hey, mind if I plug this into that outlet you're using so we can share? Thanks!!")

justperry
Nov 1, 2011, 09:29 PM
I've often wondered why people pay extra for travel surge suppressors. The extra outlets are great, but the surge suppression is an unnecessary expense. The transformer in the cord does exactly what a surge suppressor would do so having another is excessive. The manufacturers seem to know this. If you compare the surge suppression in these things to others, you'll find that they are usually going with the least amount of components that would legally allow them to say that they have surge suppression.

Surge suppression was necessary for notebooks when you plugged the computer directly into the wall with no transformer in the middle (think Toshibas circa 1998) but not now when everything has a transformer in the middle. Oh, and try collecting on that $25K insurance policy (actually a connected-equipment warranty). There are lots of caveats in the fine print.

However, if it makes you feel better, by all means pay the extra $11.60. You do get 2 extra outlets and 2 USB charging ports, and that alone is certainly worth the money if you get stuck in airports regularly. ("Hey, mind if I plug this into that outlet you're using so we can share? Thanks!!")

Exactly.
But these are not transformers as you say they are, they are switched power supplies and work differently than a plain transformer.
Most of them can go from a very low voltage smaller than 100 Volts up to 240 Volts and the output remains more or less the same.
They are switched regulated and the output will be very constant, mostly less then a few Percent higher or lower than it should be.

When there is a real surge in the output level of the mains as happens when there is a very high Voltage on the mains due to a thunder storm it won't help at all and will still damage your gear.

Plugbug, nice try but there are cheaper ones and I just use My laptop USB, saves Me money.

RedReplicant
Nov 2, 2011, 01:11 AM
This is a ****ing genius idea.

fo0bar
Nov 2, 2011, 06:02 AM

IIRC, when you try to plug into an iPad into the USB ports on that, it refuses to charge due to the iPad amperage draw well beyond USB specs. iPhones will work though.

Otherwise, I love that device. I got it from, I believe, Woot for $10 earlier this year, and have had about 10 business trips with it being a lifesaver. Many hotels tend to have very few (if any) open outlets, so it's useful to attach between the outlet and a lamp, while providing for 2 more outlets. The plug swivels and locks into place in 4 directions, and includes a cover that turns into a wall standoff so weight from the cords doesn't dislodge it. I still have to carry my iPad charger, but it's still an awesome device.

ajns23
Nov 2, 2011, 07:15 AM
anyone got an idea were i could get one of those ipad stands from?

Thanks.

sclawis300
Nov 2, 2011, 08:39 AM

It is not "extra" it is cheaper.

Evangelion
Nov 2, 2011, 08:39 AM

And what if the laptop is not there? This thing can charge the laptop and the iPad, together or separately. Your solution only works if the laptop is there.

ftaok
Nov 2, 2011, 08:55 AM
This is a nice solution to reducing clutter in my travel bag. However, it would be solved much more cleanly if Apple were to put the USB plug right onto the power pack itself. Or, they could license out the mag-safe plug and let 3rd party manufacturers make power adapters for Macbooks.

floatingspirit
Nov 2, 2011, 11:12 AM
Am I the only one who thinks $35 is a kind of high price for such a product? Wouldn't $20 be more reasonable?

I agree.

daxomni
Nov 2, 2011, 12:39 PM
This funky $35 USB charger would only be worth the $30 premium over Monoprice USB chargers it if was made in the US and putting my fellow Americans to work. Maybe I'm blind but I couldn't find a listing for the country of origin, which is something I'd like to see MacRumors pay more attention to in the future.

shaown
Nov 6, 2011, 11:22 AM
Your MacBook Air provides 1.1 Amps at the most, not 2.1 Amps.

My 2011 MBA provides 2.1 Amps - 500 MA + 1600MA over

I still bought a plug bug though - I am not always willing to power up/pull out my mac in hotel rooms, etc so this lets me drop on charge from my bag.

(The 2010s didn't - I think they did iike up to 1.1? amps? I had screenshots - u can see the info in the sys info when charging)

-Shaown

Mactastic21
Jan 24, 2013, 01:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Would they make a uk plug version?

They just did. Twelve South just announced their PlugBug World edition....quite a wait, wasn't it? Looks good though

AstroKeith
Jan 25, 2013, 09:52 AM
For those of us who do not live in the US, no problem!
It comes with a whole suite of international adapters -

http://www.twelvesouth.com/

That said, I hate the colour, but still want one!

Squilly
Jan 25, 2013, 11:10 AM
It's just the same thing as a ZaggSparq...

Payroll
Jan 29, 2013, 11:41 PM
anyone get this and tried it out ....what ur reviews?