PDA

View Full Version : iMac 17'' how good is it?

Tiauguinho
Oct 10, 2002, 03:47 AM
I want to buy a 17'' iMac for my parents and I would like to hear your personal reviews. It will be on a Home Newtwork that I'll build with an Airport Base for 3 Macs, a PowerMac G4, a Powerbook G4 and the new iMac.

The iMac will stay on the top floor and it will be connected wirelessly, but I have a question... The walls are thick and made of concrete and since the iMac will be around 15 meters from the Airport Base (15 meters measured diagonaly across the ceiling and walls since the Airport Base is on the Bottom floor) how good will the signal be? Is it a good Solution? Or I should just buy a very long cable and forget about all this wireless thing?

Please proud owners, post your experience with this baby, the good things and the bad things (if it as any! :))...

Thanks in advance

dynamicd
Oct 10, 2002, 10:02 AM
I can't really answer your question about the whole airport issue but I've been using my 17" for about 2 months now and I love it. Jaguar runs really smooth and the only thing thats crashed on me has been explorer. I think even after 2 months of having this computer I'm still in awe of its style and performance. The only thing I plan on changing is the speakers, just because I need some more power and bass (the pro speakers do sound nice however) and a 4-button mouse. Other than that, I would definitely recommend this machine to anyone. Also wanted to point out that I'm a frosh in college, this is my first mac, and I plan on sticking with them for the rest of my life.

Backtothemac
Oct 10, 2002, 10:28 AM
Well,
The 17" is amazing. The screen is beautiful, and absolutly wonderful. The price is very fair, and the little sucker flies. Especially with extra ram. Go with the SoundSticks if sound is important. Airport at 15 meters will be fine.

Wonderful system though, and I plan on buying one soon.