PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Cards App Has Some Kinks

MacRumors
Nov 1, 2011, 01:35 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/01/apples-cards-app-has-some-kinks/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/cards-150x151.jpg

Apple's new Cards app (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/12/send-real-greeting-cards-with-apples-new-cards-app/) makes it very easy to send real, physical greeting cards through the mail. For just $2.99 (within the U.S.), Apple will print and mail a custom card. But the implementation has some faults.

For one, when sending cards to multiple addressees (holiday cards or event invitations, for example), Apple treats each card as an individual purchase from the Apple Online Store, rather than bundling purchases like on the iTunes Store. This means that for each card sent, Apple sends two emails (one for the order and another when it ships), sends a push notification (upon delivery), and charges a credit card.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/cardscharges.jpg

When purchasing multiple apps or songs from the iTunes or App Stores, Apple aggregates multiple orders into one credit card charge. This lowers the company's credit card fees and, as seen above, avoids clogging bank statements with dozens of charges. It also avoids having a credit card locked due to the bank assuming that 8 charges for $3.08 in 10 minutes is fraudulent activity.

The most annoying of the app's quirks is the tendency of the app to fail during checkout, occasionally requiring multiple attempts to purchase a card for no discernible reason. When the purchase fails Apple still authorizes the credit card, resulting in even more charges appearing. This weekend, when ordering 37 cards, my credit card was charged for 52 transactions, though the additional charges eventually disappeared.

The Cards app is a convenient way to send personalized cards through the mail, but it needs a few tweaks, including a native iPad version and the ability for users to easily send cards to multiple addresses without dozens of individual credit card charges.

Article Link: Apple's Cards App Has Some Kinks (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/01/apples-cards-app-has-some-kinks/)

blizaine
Nov 1, 2011, 01:40 PM
I've never been able to get it to work. Whenever I would try to purchase a card it would say I need to enter my CVV. I would and then it would error out. When I researched it on the interwebs I found people that had been using Paypal that had this issue, but I'm using a normal Visa card.

bummer

zed
Nov 1, 2011, 01:46 PM
I sent one to my wife about several weeks ago. I got a notification stating that the card reached the local post office, but the card has still not delivered. I'm guessing that at this point it is never going to arrive.

macaddiict
Nov 1, 2011, 01:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I used it with no problem. Card arrived as expected, notification was sent, etc.

The only thing I was surprised by was the low print quality for the photo. It was OK but definitely not "great" by any stretch. It's a good value at $2.99 but I'd hoped for a better appearance.

To the article author: I think Apple probably doesn't expect people to use it for 10+ cards. It's much cheaper when sending cards en made to have them shipped to you from iPhoto.

theBigD23
Nov 1, 2011, 01:51 PM
I have sent one card and it go there within a couple of days. Had no problems with CC from what I can remember. My main issue was after my friend brought me the card, the print quality was subpar. It looks like a inkjet print vs. a color laser print on the card. The actual card quality was nice.

isaacjam
Nov 1, 2011, 01:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I ordered my first card for my brothers birthday. And it took over a week to receive it. I also was never notified of when the card was delivered as it was advertised to do. I called apple to ask about it and got the run around. They didn't even have the correct tracking number for it.

longofest
Nov 1, 2011, 01:53 PM
I just wish that you could send eCards rather than only being able to send real cards.

ArtOfWarfare
Nov 1, 2011, 02:00 PM
I think "kink" might be too gentle a term to use for it given how many issues it has...

nagromme
Nov 1, 2011, 02:01 PM
Do we have any informal data on the tendency to fail? Is that pretty universal? Or is this just something experienced by the author of the article? Since that’s the most important point in the article, I’d be curious to know. The article says “tendency” as though most people see that tendency. Too bad. Luckily it’s not a holiday for me, so I won’t need to be an early adopter!

I just wish that you could send eCards rather than only being able to send real cards.

Apple did try that :o

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=51695

MightyMac007
Nov 1, 2011, 02:02 PM
Interesting to hear about the print quality. Maybe I will send myself one to check it out. I assumed color laser would be used to print.

ndpitch
Nov 1, 2011, 02:05 PM
Who buys 37 cards at 3 bucks a pop?? Yikes.

I can understand sending out holiday greetings cards or invitations in big batches, but I wouldn't use the cards app for that. It's cheaper to have a large batch created as an order and then mailed out.

I would only use the cards app for sending someone a birthday card or something.

TG1
Nov 1, 2011, 02:12 PM
Mine kept asking to select a country even though I repeatedly tapped on United States when prompted. Never did get it to finish. :(

HiRez
Nov 1, 2011, 02:24 PM
I think the app is pretty nifty, but it's been very crashy for me so far on iPhone 4S. Needs some bug fixes. But it's something I think I'll use more than I initially thought I would.

Uln4321
Nov 1, 2011, 02:26 PM
I just ordered a card. crashed the first time so i tried again. Got 1 email confirmation but it charged my cc twice. Hope it does not send two otherwise that will be embarrassing. I wish it could just come out of your itunes account

VideoFreek
Nov 1, 2011, 02:45 PM

I do agree with the concerns about photo print quality: photo is printed on matte paper and just not quite as impressive as I'd hoped. It has a very "inkjet on plain paper" appearance

wordoflife
Nov 1, 2011, 02:51 PM
I wish I could pay using iTunes credit. Apparently, you need to type in a CC. You can't just simply use your iTunes account.

Come on, Apple!

spencers
Nov 1, 2011, 03:02 PM
I made one October 12, to be sent to my girlfriend. It was never sent, despite being marked as shipped October 13. I waited until yesterday (October 31) to call Apple. They said there wasn't a mailing address on the card, so it was never mailed.

I'm supposed to be refunded my $3, because they couldn't just resend the damn thing...

kirky29
Nov 1, 2011, 03:05 PM
I sent a Birthday card to a friend of mine in America the other day, I didn't have any issues whatsoever :)

I'd love an iPad version though!

mingoglia
Nov 1, 2011, 03:09 PM
I sent one to my wife from my kids while I was sitting at a restaurant. I thought it would be cool to at least check it out for "no reason" rather than send a card for a real holiday/occasion and have it not work. It was a test run if you will. I received the card in a reasonable amount of time. It didn't ship shockingly fast, but it was acceptable. I was however a bit underwhelmed at the quality of the card. It was to par with a do it yourself on your ink jet type card.... certainly not even close to a Shutterfly or similar alternate service. It's pretty cheap so I wasn't expecting the world... just figured I'd toss my opinion on the Interweb. :)

rosalindavenue
Nov 1, 2011, 03:41 PM
I used it as soon as I downloaded the app. I sent a picture of our dog to my daughter. Just one card. It worked smoothly. The picture was not great (my fault) but the reproduction was fine; matte printing on a good quality card. Not a huge card, smaller than a standard Hallmark; about 4x6. I think it took a week to the day for the card to arrive, and I got a lockscreen notification it was at the local postoffice on the date it was delivered. I was satisfied, but not thrilled like I was the first time a made an iphoto book.

djpuma
Nov 1, 2011, 03:44 PM
I tested it out when I first put ios5 on my 3gs.

The app worked and I got two cards (same cards) delivered with only one purchase of 2.99. Apple messed up and I'm glad they didn't charge me for two cards.

Haven't used it since.
But I will for Bdays and Xmas

Oh yeah and the pic quality was pretty bad, but it was a pic from a 3gs. I'll test out with a 4s for Thanksgiving.

Sakic10
Nov 1, 2011, 03:49 PM
anyone have any issues with this?

It will not let me process my payment, keeps asking for my CVV and then I get an error message.

Very frustrating, I'm trying to give you $5.00 Apple!

No one seems to have a solution from this, but googling does bring up that it is a problem.

I also can't seem to use my gift card for it, it only wants a credit card, so that option is thrown out.

I attached the error message

ouimetnick
Nov 1, 2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks for telling us about your weekend Jordan!

Perhaps this belongs on your personal blog?

All sarcasm aside. Have you received a card yet? I'm curious to know the quality of the paper and print.

nsayer
Nov 1, 2011, 04:06 PM
I've sent two iCards so far and I'd also like to throw in there that I never got the promised push notification on the day of delivery. This is in addition to the difficulties I had in getting the check-out process to function (though I chalked that up to the fact that it was day 1), and the (currently, one hopes) limited selection of themes.

dawnrazor
Nov 1, 2011, 04:08 PM
I sent one from New Zealand to my Sister in New York for her Birthday and it arrived on her Birthday! Had zero problems and the cost saving was massive. My only issue was the fact that it's a printed card and as such not especially personal, kinda felt like putting a stamp on an email....

photographypro
Nov 1, 2011, 04:32 PM
I sent two cards (I'm in Italy) to two people with birthdays in the US. I was excited because by mail it would take about 8 days to get cards from Italy ( and postage alone would have been over $2, not to mention the card price). I ordered them on Saturday the 15th of October.

Preparing and sending the cards was no problem, but I would recommend making sure photos are at least 2MB in size, otherwise the photo quality is going to be poor.

Well, 2 days later I got a message saying one card was out for delivery. 5 days later the 2nd card hadn't been sent, so I checked online. It said it was still processing. I tried to cancel the card, which WAS an option, but the system said it couldn't do it. I called Apple, and they said it was actually going out, and could not be cancelled. The woman was very nice, and tried to give me a refund on the card, but said unless the card took more than 10 days to deliver, they couldn't give a refund.

I never did receive the message from the post office for either card, but both people told me that they received their cards on the 24th of October, 9 days after I sent them. One person, my sister in law, who is in the graphics trade, said the card quality was very high, that is was embossed, and printed on high quality rag paper. She was very impressed. The 2nd person said the card was very nice, and of high quality.

In the process of all this, I happened to go into iPhoto on my Mac, and never realized that you can send cards from iPhoto. The prices and process are the same, but their are many more options for cards. There is also a video showing the card quality, and how they are produced. Since photos from iPhoto would normally be much higher resolution than iPhone photos, and the options and control are much better, I probably will use iPhoto in the future to do this.

However, the :apple: Card app on the iPhone would be very handy for a quick card sent on the road, and if the photo is from the iPhone (taken with), the quality would be very good.

Note: as a recommendation from a professional photographer, if you are using a photo that was imported through iTunes to your iPhone, the photos gets downsized by iPhoto, and probably won't make a high quality card. If you are on a Mac, I would probably just use iPhoto, but if on a PC, or if you really want to use the :apple: Card App, then email yourself the full size photo from your PC or Mac, save it into the camera roll (it will still be full size), and use THIS photo to make your card. Or take a photo with the iPhone.

mountainmath
Nov 1, 2011, 04:55 PM

It will not let me process my payment, keeps asking for my CVV and then I get an error message.

No one seems to have a solution from this, but googling does bring up that it is a problem.

I also can't seem to use my gift card for it, it only wants a credit card, so that option is thrown out.

got the exact same issue, also from canada. i have a suspicion that this is due to me having my iTunes account originally set up in the us but than transferred to canada. had lots of other issues because of that.

Macopotamus
Nov 1, 2011, 05:00 PM
I sent a Birthday card to a friend of mine in America the other day, I didn't have any issues whatsoever :)

I'd love an iPad version though!

I'm very surprised there isn't an iPad version yet, one is bound to be incoming. Sure the iPhone camera is better, but apps like this are better on the iPad screen.

vjl323
Nov 1, 2011, 05:02 PM
I've never been able to get it to work. Whenever I would try to purchase a card it would say I need to enter my CVV. I would and then it would error out. When I researched it on the interwebs I found people that had been using Paypal that had this issue, but I'm using a normal Visa card.

bummer

I've had the same issue, except I'm using a MasterCard. I've been able to make other in-app purchases and buy other apps, but trying to buy one card produces an error. I've exchanged over a dozen e.mails to iTunes App Store support, but nothing has worked. :-(

At least I know I'm not the only one. Searching online makes it appear that this issue only happens to PayPal folks, but I'm not one of them. Hmmph.

lamar0607
Nov 1, 2011, 05:03 PM
Keeping in mind this is $2.55 worth of quality. The paper is matte, so not great. Looks "ok". The clear use of this is for more spontaneous card sending, and single event occasions for 1-2 people. Not meant for mass cards. Use iPhoto for that.

I had no problems in the app. My card shipped 2-3 days after making it, and was delivered 3 days after that. So 5-6 days. I never received a push notification saying it was delivered.

Then my wife sent one to her friend. I got an email from Apple saying it was being shipped to our house, rather than the friends...then 2 days later I got a correction email saying to "rest assured" that the card was indeed going to the correct address. There was a problem in the system at the time.

Sakic10
Nov 1, 2011, 05:10 PM
got the exact same issue, also from canada. i have a suspicion that this is due to me having my iTunes account originally set up in the us but than transferred to canada. had lots of other issues because of that.

mine was not transferred

I've had the same issue, except I'm using a MasterCard. I've been able to make other in-app purchases and buy other apps, but trying to buy one card produces an error. I've exchanged over a dozen e.mails to iTunes App Store support, but nothing has worked. :-(

At least I know I'm not the only one. Searching online makes it appear that this issue only happens to PayPal folks, but I'm not one of them. Hmmph.

I'm also trying to use a MC, so its not just a problem with paypal or visa, its the app in general

very frustrating as I really want to send this card

vjl323
Nov 1, 2011, 05:26 PM

That's the same error message I have been getting since day 1, using my MasterCard. I've been going back and forth with iTunes App Store support, but to no avail. :( I'd really like to try the app out, but I can't. I can make other in-app purchases from other apps, so I'm not sure what's so different about Cards that I can't. Frustrating.

lllll
Nov 1, 2011, 05:39 PM
are people that lazy they can't send their own greeting card?? There's a walgreen in every corner. just go there, buy a 99 cent cards, mail it yourself. total cost $1.49

mountainmath
Nov 1, 2011, 06:02 PM
Also using MasterCard, so maybe that's the issue....

RazorSharp69
Nov 1, 2011, 06:21 PM

$3.10 for a damn letter with a 50-50 chance of making it on time or ever making it at all! I'll just stick to paper and pen with 20c post.

anybodyreally
Nov 1, 2011, 06:31 PM
The printing is done on either a HP Indigo 7000 color press or a Kodak Nexpress 3600 variable color press. Both are capable of above laser quality print reproduction. I am surprised at the number of comments remarking the quality of print. I'm sure the bugs will be addressed and resolved.

----------

I sent two cards (I'm in Italy) to two people with birthdays in the US. I was excited because by mail it would take about 8 days to get cards from Italy ( and postage alone would have been over $2, not to mention the card price). I ordered them on Saturday the 15th of October.

Preparing and sending the cards was no problem, but I would recommend making sure photos are at least 2MB in size, otherwise the photo quality is going to be poor.

Well, 2 days later I got a message saying one card was out for delivery. 5 days later the 2nd card hadn't been sent, so I checked online. It said it was still processing. I tried to cancel the card, which WAS an option, but the system said it couldn't do it. I called Apple, and they said it was actually going out, and could not be cancelled. The woman was very nice, and tried to give me a refund on the card, but said unless the card took more than 10 days to deliver, they couldn't give a refund.

I never did receive the message from the post office for either card, but both people told me that they received their cards on the 24th of October, 9 days after I sent them. One person, my sister in law, who is in the graphics trade, said the card quality was very high, that is was embossed, and printed on high quality rag paper. She was very impressed. The 2nd person said the card was very nice, and of high quality.

In the process of all this, I happened to go into iPhoto on my Mac, and never realized that you can send cards from iPhoto. The prices and process are the same, but their are many more options for cards. There is also a video showing the card quality, and how they are produced. Since photos from iPhoto would normally be much higher resolution than iPhone photos, and the options and control are much better, I probably will use iPhoto in the future to do this.

However, the :apple: Card app on the iPhone would be very handy for a quick card sent on the road, and if the photo is from the iPhone (taken with), the quality would be very good.

Note: as a recommendation from a professional photographer, if you are using a photo that was imported through iTunes to your iPhone, the photos gets downsized by iPhoto, and probably won't make a high quality card. If you are on a Mac, I would probably just use iPhoto, but if on a PC, or if you really want to use the :apple: Card App, then email yourself the full size photo from your PC or Mac, save it into the camera roll (it will still be full size), and use THIS photo to make your card. Or take a photo with the iPhone.

great advice, good to know your experience.

udflyer
Nov 1, 2011, 06:39 PM
Order : 10-12
Shipped: 10-13 per email

Still never received it. :(

Just sent it to my wife to test out the service.

Not worth my time to call customer service, I will just never use the app again.

Glad it worked well for others..

stigbra
Nov 1, 2011, 07:11 PM

I had the same issue. Setting the "Regional Format" to match the iTunes account solved it. I raised radar 10366788 (http://openradar.appspot.com/10366788)
for this bug.

ctdonath
Nov 1, 2011, 08:38 PM
2 emails per card? That is a BIG problem on iOS where the inbox is limited to 200 items or less, and older items get dumped to make room for new. My inbox is always at 150-190+ items, so even 5 cards ordered could mean losing inbox items.

C'mon, Apple, bundle the orders!

Darien Red Sox
Nov 1, 2011, 08:55 PM
Sometimes Apple splits up iTunes into multiple credit card charges too which has created problems for me in the past. If it is more frequent for the cards I am sure people trying to send out multiple cards are having issues with there CC.

----------

Order : 10-12
Shipped: 10-13 per email

Still never received it. :(

Just sent it to my wife to test out the service.

Not worth my time to call customer service, I will just never use the app again.

Glad it worked well for others..

Apple dose not run the postal service.

mountainmath
Nov 2, 2011, 12:24 AM
I had the same issue. Setting the "Regional Format" to match the iTunes account solved it. I raised radar 10366788 (http://openradar.appspot.com/10366788)
for this bug.

Thanks, that fixed the problem for me. My region was US, my iTunes account Canada. Now both are Canada and everything went through ok.

ljocampo
Nov 2, 2011, 02:32 AM

This might not be your problem but I found out that the extension Ghostery stop me from paying bills online e.g. Allstate or Verizon because it blocks IPs that the companies use to process the forms on the site. Once I turned off the extension and tried again it accepted my CVV and other form elements.

alcaponek
Nov 2, 2011, 04:42 AM
Can someone finnaly take a photo of the card?:)

a17inchFuture
Nov 2, 2011, 05:48 AM
I have sent two, one was received a week after I purchased it, by a relative who was out of town (so it could have arrived earlier)... The second one has still not arrived, according to the person to whom I sent it.

I also received erroneous receipts that indicated it would be sent to my billing address... My concerns were remedied rather quickly as they sent out an apology letter within 24 hours saying it was a mistake and the correct addresses had been used.

All in all, I have a couple complaints... Very small number of choices and requires creation on my part ... A quick iPhone card app should have preset hallmark like generic ones, with jokes, sayings, etc, that don't need to have me insert a pic, or devote a lot of time and thought to... thats what cards are for... the semi-thoughtful, without having to actually put any thought into it, gift...

And like the article said, native iPad is a no brainier, and slightly shameful it didn't launch with it....

a17inchFuture
Nov 2, 2011, 06:15 AM

I would imagine you mean the physical product, but any chance this is this what you had in mind...

collegeguy
Nov 2, 2011, 06:59 AM
My boyfriend ordered me a card and I got it a week later.
A week after that I received the exact same card again.. hopefully he didn't have to pay twice lol
They are really nice cards though!

collegeguy
Nov 2, 2011, 07:03 AM

Here's mine :)

nsayer
Nov 2, 2011, 09:41 AM

From what I can tell the iPhoto functionality isn't geared towards sending a single card to a recipient, it's getting a bunch of cards for you to mail yourself, such as for a party announcement or for the holidays. The shipping cost is $2.49 and each card is $2.99. Not quite the same thing.

billnye97
Nov 2, 2011, 09:42 AM
My boyfriend ordered me a card and I got it a week later.
A week after that I received the exact same card again.. hopefully he didn't have to pay twice lol
They are really nice cards though!

My sister-in-law had a baby so I took a photo of him and sent it while in the hospital. I had an error during processing so I sent another one. I ended up getting charged twice and they received two cards. The quality was pretty good (especially with the 4S).

joe5868
Nov 2, 2011, 10:26 AM
I saw all the posts regarding Apple's Card app. There is another alternative which elminates the concerns noted above and is actually 1/3 cheaper than the card app. Has anyone heard of Send Out Cards? If anyone would like to know more information or is interested in test-driving the system for no-cost, feel free to email me here or at joseph_merola@yahoo.com.

Hawkeye411
Nov 2, 2011, 11:33 AM
The app has crashed everytime I have tried to use it. I can only make it to the envelope. I choose a contact and then it crashes. Tried a reboot but nothing seems to work. Guess they will work the bugs out eventually. :D

snook911
Nov 2, 2011, 12:27 PM
I wish I could pay using iTunes credit. Apparently, you need to type in a CC. You can't just simply use your iTunes account.

Come on, Apple!

I don't know but I have send 2 cards and used my itunes account to pay for both. I did not even get an option to use a credit card.:confused:

nampramos
Nov 2, 2011, 02:20 PM
Can some of the users that fot cards take pictures of what they received from Apple?

I'd like to use such thing but since I don't live in America I will pay more for it.

I'd only be interested if it really was good quality. Otherwise I'll stick to the old fashioned cards.

anybodyreally
Nov 2, 2011, 02:50 PM
Can some of the users that fot cards take pictures of what they received from Apple?

I'd like to use such thing but since I don't live in America I will pay more for it.

I'd only be interested if it really was good quality. Otherwise I'll stick to the old fashioned cards.

Pics are on page 2. Just look for the posts.

nampramos
Nov 2, 2011, 03:17 PM
Pics are on page 2. Just look for the posts.

I saw one image on page two and it isn't a photo that a user took. It's just a image from Apple it self...

collegeguy
Nov 2, 2011, 05:18 PM

I think they are awesome quality! (and I'm pretty picky) the card is almost a paper pulp card stock, it is not smooth and crisp feeling which I like.

The colours are printed crisp and vivid, and the embossing is really nice. Even the envelope is the "pulp" feel. Almost like handmade cards but with the precision of Apple.

I'd say go for it!

Sakic10
Nov 2, 2011, 06:42 PM
for this bug.

thanks so much!

just worked, thats awesome

scoobydoo99
Nov 2, 2011, 07:16 PM
I think "kink" might be too gentle a term to use for it given how many issues it has...

I thought it was too dramatic a term to use. I mean, how many people are sending multiple cards at once? Not really an issue for the majority of users. The errors are a slight problem, but still a minor glitch not worthy of being elevated to an article about "kinks".

nampramos
Nov 3, 2011, 09:19 AM
Can you schedule the delivery?
Would be cool for a birthday card...

nampramos
Nov 3, 2011, 06:02 PM
This app sucks!

Does not let me buy the damn card!

Already changed setting in the International settings.

Keeps telling me I'm missing info on my Store settings.

I have no credit card on my iTunes account. But I have $50 there in credit.

Thetonyk123
Nov 3, 2011, 07:17 PM
I'd rater write my own cards :D

shiftlocked
Nov 9, 2011, 05:28 AM
Here's the card that I received after a bit of a wait. I'd personally like to see more tracking for cards to let you know a vague idea when it will arrive rather than stating 5 - 15 working days.

http://imgbin.org/images/thumbs/ext5585.png (http://imgbin.org/index.php?page=image&id=5585)

The card on the right is one from a shop I believe.

VisoTal
Dec 31, 2012, 07:59 AM
I‘m a apple user from China. I am very very interested in this app, but now it is no use in China, because there is nobody printing such cards for us. When will it come to China? I am craving it.
Or rather, could you corporate with me? I can help you make cards in China and you will get profits. How does this app run. You just tell me.