Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
United States
/I can't download any apps. It hasn't really bothered me, as the iPod still plays music flawlessly, which is why I haven't gotten a new one yet. That said, I think it is too bad that Apple no longer supports older generations of iPods, not even iPod Touch. I mean, I can't even upgrade to the newest software if I wanted to... I'd have to buy a whole new iPod Touch.

Good for business, bad for customer. /Rant.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

IOS5 would be too taxxing on the device.

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
United States
IOS5 would be too taxxing on the device.

I suppose you're right, but it would be nice to have the ability to download apps from older versions. Maybe an "archive" feature... Just kind of annoying having zero options. Maybe that's what I get for being years late :rolleyes:

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
I suppose you're right, but it would be nice to have the ability to download apps from older versions. Maybe an "archive" feature... Just kind of annoying having zero options. Maybe that's what I get for being years late :rolleyes:

Maybe try to live with it till next year, maybe there will be a iPod touch 5.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
The latest software simply won't run on the device. While it sucks to feel left out, in reality, this happens to most products in some way. There's always going to have better version down the road with more features. That's really what it is.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
The latest software simply won't run on the device. While it sucks to feel left out, in reality, this happens to most products in some way. There's always going to have better version down the road with more features. That's really what it is.

Android..............

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Is the complaint here that software today won't run on a device from 4 years ago? Seems fair to me.

In my experience, Apple is one of the few companies who will sell you a product and then regularly issue updates that improved it. It's like getting a brand new device every time they change something. Amazon hasn't updated its Kindle DX in more than a year, and that is supposedly the top model. Heck, they won't even tell you IF it will ever get updated.

Sell your iPod and upgrade :)

Android? HAHAHAHA. I am still on Froyo. Who knows if I will ever get an upgrade...

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Just think that you're better off being stuck with 3.1.3 rather then 4.2.1. The 4.X software should of never have made it to anything lower then the 3G(s) or iPod touch 3rd generation in the first place.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Is the complaint here that software today won't run on a device from 4 years ago?
I think the complaint might actually be that the App Store software titles which used to be available 2 or 3 years ago (or even more recently) have been totally removed from circulation (as old versions compatible with iPhone OS 2.x and 3.x were eventually migrated to rely on iOS 4+ features), so if you failed to download it back then when you had the chance, you've now missed your chance and have to live without it forever.

If the core functionality of an App doesn't require any of the newer APIs that were released in iOS 4.0 or above, then ideally that app would still be built against the older set of APIs and therefore would be able to run on an original iPod touch. Unfortunately, most app developers don't seem to bother taking such considerations into account -- instead, they appear to simply target the latest and greatest API, whether they actually need the features or not.

Last edited:

Aero26

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
Spirit Jailbreak → Installous → Apptrackr → Download Old Versions → Pray for the best

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Even Android doesn't run very well on the touch v1. I was hoping to breathe new life into a little used old touch, but Android is even laggier than iOS on it.

point is sometimes androids get updates then they stop within not even a year. I wasn't saying Android runs better then iOS on the iPod touch 1.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
I realize it would be slow but I wish apple would have allowed iOS 4 to be installed on 1st gen devices. iOS 4.2.1 will run on the iphone 3G which has the exact same specs as the first gen iPod touch so it could have been done. If they would allow you to downgrade OS versions that would have really been excellent. If you wanted to be able to run newer apps and have more features you could stay on iOS 4. If you didn't like the performance you could elect to revert back to 3.1.3. Then everyone would be happy.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Just think that you're better off being stuck with 3.1.3 rather then 4.2.1. The 4.X software should of never have made it to anything lower then the 3G(s) or iPod touch 3rd generation in the first place.

Exactly. 3.xx ran 100 times better than 4.2.1
ALSO could you please explain your sig?

Even Android doesn't run very well on the touch v1. I was hoping to breathe new life into a little used old touch, but Android is even laggier than iOS on it.
How do you run android on IOS?

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I sold mine when the 4th Gen came out. I figured that I was on it 24/7 and it probably wouldn't last a year, maybe two. Because if I'm playing games, listening to music, using as an alarm, sometimes GPS, and as a PDA every day.. what is the life expectancy? Especially if this was a 1st gen..

So I sold mine and purchased a 4G. About a year later the buyer told me that it was dying. They never turned it off and never Reset it.

@aCondor
Maybe you can sell it for parts and buy a new one?

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_touch

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
and Windows Phone 7 OS too.

Of course its not full versions of their iOS but the interface and the fact that the simple functions work is already outstanding.

i do like how alot of the jailbreak tweaks are detailed alot and the developer actually spent time on it

s0nginmyheart

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2010
Chicago & Los Angeles
Hey, I am using a 1st gen ipod touch as well and I noticed that all the "updated" apps (catered to ios5) are all crashing. Namely, a couple games... and I don't know if this is correlated but my location-services feature isn't working/updating properly now either. Kind of thinking I need to pull together some change to get a newer iPod but not sure if it is really worth it, especially if there is a way to keep my old iPod touch going (music plays fine, just the apps consistently crash)...

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Sell your iPod for parts on places like Ebay or Craiglist... The money that you get from that use towards the purchase of a new one.

Look around your area and see if there are any repair shops that will buy it off of you. I have one in my area that buys iPods. They use the parts to repair them.

coldnight

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
/I can't download any apps. It hasn't really bothered me, as the iPod still plays music flawlessly, which is why I haven't gotten a new one yet. That said, I think it is too bad that Apple no longer supports older generations of iPods, not even iPod Touch. I mean, I can't even upgrade to the newest software if I wanted to... I'd have to buy a whole new iPod Touch.

Good for business, bad for customer. /Rant.

you can still download custom whited00r to update your ipod touch to 3.1.3 though it has 4.X.X or even 5.X features (notification center, multitasking, all that good stuff)

Javik

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Australia
It's just like saying why doesn't my Mac Mini Core Duo not work on OSX 10.7. It obviously won't handle it and Apple won't compromise on the user's experience, even if that means constraining them to a less app selection and functionality pool. Nothing to get angry about though, Apple's support with older products running new OS's is great (3GS still going strong). It's just anything else simply doesn't have enough processing oomph, RAM, and Graphical capabilities to run iOS 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.