Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New Database Server

If you haven't noticed already, the site has been handling increased user loads very well over the past 4-5 days. We've successfully migrated to three servers at this time. MacRumors' front page, forums and database now reside on individual dedicated servers.

This will provide much needed horsepower to allow lively discussion during the most amazing and disappointing Apple announcements.

As well, we've developed a dramatically improved Keynote webcasting system to be able to handle very large user loads with much more frequent updates.

How to Support MacRumors

While our servers were struggling with the increasing popularity of the site, many users asked how they could help support the site. Here are the primary ways to support MacRumors and Forums.

Spreading the Word

As counterintuitive as it may seem due to the recent server loads, we still actively encourage you to continue to spread the word about this site. The forums will continue to be upgraded to handle any additional load required.

We would ask those with blogs/websites to actively link to MacRumors and our associated sites. The ongoing success of the site depends on interested users.

Participate

Join the forums, post questions, comments and answers. We also have active SETI and Folding distributed computing teams which would be happy to get any further assistance.

New Shop Links

New shop links to popular Mac-related stores are now provided near the top of the forums. These shop links provide quick links to popular online vendors such as Amazon and MacMall.

Members are encouraged to regularly utilize and refer others to these sponsored links to support ongoing costs.

Subscriptions

Based on user requests, the site subscription/contribution system is back in place. Registered forum users can contribute to the site through the Paid Subscriptions link found in the User Control Panel. Cost of the contribution for $25/year and provides users with an ad-free MacRumors front page as well as access to private forums. Currently payment is only accepted via PayPal/Credit Card.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Fantastic stuff!

All good news and particularly the contributions... I hope to see a flood of demis & contributors over the next few days...

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
I've been waiting to contribute and now seems like a bettter time than ever...PayPal here we come!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Now might be a good time to point out the following...

Forum Registration FAQs

I can't post - the most likely reason is that you have not activated your forum account. You must click on the link in the verification email sent to you when you registered. If you need this email sent again, click here

I can't register - it says I'm banned - certain email domains (yahoo.com for example) are not allowed due to abusive registrations. You must use another email address

I can't upload an avatar - you need 500 posts before you can use a custom avatar.

Do I get an avatar if I contribute - no, sorry - you still need reach 500 posts.

Jun 24, 2004
I can't register - it says I'm banned - certain email domains (yahoo.com for example) are not allowed due to abusive registrations. You must use another email address

blocking out people that use free email services is not a good idea, it WILL stop people form bothering to sing up to the forums. remember honest people do use free email services.

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto
bobx2001 said:
blocking out people that use free email services is not a good idea, it WILL stop people form bothering to sing up to the forums. remember honest people do use free email services.

Its an excellent idea.

The number of honest people you are referring to that might feel shut out, versus the number of people that would bombard the board with "mac suxorz" messages has GOT to be tiny.

There has to be some sort of check in place to make a person think twice about abusing the board, and being able to trace the user to a legitimate ISP is a fine way to do it. Not foolproof, but enough to stop most I am sure.

Allowing people to register using email accounts from free email services is pretty much the same as having no registration process at all, I think.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
bobx2001 said:

It's a tradeoff. The amount of abusive spammers that come out of the woodworks is impressive.

arn

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
What??

Well I was hoping for a Mac Rumors coffe mug for subsrciptions, but i'm glad the system is back in place. Thanks for everything.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
thanks all,

While contributions are nice.... I would like to stress, I think participation and spreading the word about the site are probably the best ways to support it.

Keep the site interesting, keep the forums active and interactive, and everything else will follow.

arn

Jun 24, 2004
pontecorvo said:
Is that really worth $25? :rolleyes:
Why not be like a lot of the people here, and pad your post counts with meaningless "me too!" posts. You'll be at 500 in no time.

if i did spam my way up to 500 posts, i would be no different to those spammers that arn is trying to block out of MR.

i will get a avatar the honest way.

edit:here is a way to stop the spammers link (read the second post)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Great news Arn, it's great to see commitment and dedication on your part to keep the best Mac Forum site on the Internet in top shape. It's a community I'm proud to be a part of! Keep up the great work, all of here truly appreciate it! :cool:

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Macrumors said:

New Database Server

If you haven't noticed already, the site has been handling increased user loads very well over the past 4-5 days. We've successfully migrated to three servers at this time. MacRumors' front page, forums and database now reside on individual dedicated servers.

THANK YOU!!!!1111

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
arn said:
thanks all,

While contributions are nice.... I would like to stress, I think participation and spreading the word about the site are probably the best ways to support it.

Keep the site interesting, keep the forums active and interactive, and everything else will follow.

arn

This is a good point. Although there are quite a number of us "regulars" on MacRumors, it's really in everyone's best interest to bring in new opinions, ideas and so forth to keep things interesting. By introducing more people to this site, this can be accomplished, and MacRumors will be a better place for it. The more people that participate, the more that everyone gets out of the site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.