Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
So, I noticed a "feature" in safari when in full screen mode. If you move the curser to the edge of the screen, it gives you an option to drag the edge of the browser content in or out.

I have attached a screenshot of this behavior... What is this? I'm thinking it is just a means of keeping unruly websites in check when viewing in full screen on a 21 inch or 27 inch display (example, when a website has a fluid width instead of the standard width of approx. 960 pixels) Anyone else ever noticed this feature?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-01 at 9.37.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-01 at 9.37.37 PM.png
    485.2 KB · Views: 252

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I would assume it's so you can be in full screen mode in Safari but not have sites look all weird and stretched out.

macinhand

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Cheshire, UK
I use the feature when i am viewing a website that has the annoying advertising down the sides! just adjust the screen to show the content you like to view without seeing the advertising banners ;)

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Hold shift or shift+option when adjusting the size of a window. Even weirder.

Why is that weird? Being able to resize from the center is incredibly useful (don't have to drag one side then the other, or drag the window to the side and then resize out).

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Why is that weird? Being able to resize from the center is incredibly useful (don't have to drag one side then the other, or drag the window to the side and then resize out).

I know this is old, but incredibly useful how? When is it ever necessary to keep the window the same aspect ratio or scale on center? I don't think it ever is needed, and I can't find a single use for it.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I know this is old, but incredibly useful how? When is it ever necessary to keep the window the same aspect ratio or scale on center? I don't think it ever is needed, and I can't find a single use for it.

Just because you find it's useless doesn't mean others don't need it. I keep all my windows in the center and so this is useful to me.

Also, as a note, here's the shortcuts:
Shift + Drag - Resize with the same aspect ratio
Option + Drag - Keep the window in the center while resizing

johnhw

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Awesome! It's great if you have a really wide display and websites look awful/empty with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.