PDA

View Full Version : Can I take my geforce4 MX card out of my G4 and put it in a PC and use an apple lcd w

DavidCL23
Oct 10, 2002, 07:30 AM
Can I take my geforce4 MX card out of my G4 tower and put it in a PC and use an apple lcd with the pc (when I upgrade to an ATI card)?

cubist
Oct 10, 2002, 07:51 AM
Try it with a vga monitor first. It can't hurt anything valuable that way. If it works with the monitor, you should be good to go with the adc monitor. Sorry, I don't know about 'flashing'.

firewire2001
Oct 10, 2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by DavidCL23
Can I take my geforce4 MX card out of my G4 tower and put it in a PC and use an apple lcd with the pc (when I upgrade to an ATI card)?

i dont think much harm can be done.. but id definately take the usual precautions.. but dont get your hopes up, it most likely will not work because of bios and more importantly the fact that it probably would not provide enough voltage for an apple monitor.. i wouldnt really do this if you dont have good experience with electrical engineering and/or general pc hardware..

i was actually considering doing the same a few weeks ago, but ive gotten really busy with school and such..

tell me about your results if you try it..

Bradcoe
Oct 10, 2002, 09:28 AM
If you have all the necessary hardware, which I assume you do, it wont take more than 5 minutes to try and you've got nothing to lose. If the monitor doesn't show any BIOS info on boot up of the PC, chances are it isn't going to work. But I don't see why not. It's just a video card and LCD monitor. Make sure you know exactly what model GeForce 4MX you have (400, 420, 440 etc) so you can download the proper drivers.

If you have another monitor, maybe you can first hook that up to the GeForce once its in the PC. Download the newest drivers from nvidias website for your card, then plug in the LCD. Thats the only *alternative* to just plugging them in and turning it on.