Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Lad

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
Big Easy, Louisiana
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has an experience doing calculations in computer vision (pattern recognition, motion detection, edge detection, etc.) and image processing in Mac. I have used Matlab for this kind of applications, but it's not usable for real-time processing. For example, I would like to track the movement of my hand gesture through webcam, and I don't think Matlab is fast enough. I would also like to know if there are any video-grabbing software for Mac.

I have looked into the program Lush (lush.sourceforge.net) and it seems to be fast enough for what I am doing. It also has an interface to Video4Linux, but I don't think that'll work with Mac (or does it?). Should I resort to using C or C++? (I am actually not knowledgeable in either language, so I prefer not :p).

Please share your experience, your thoughts, and your help. Thanx a bunch!

ehwizard

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2003
New York, NY
vxl

Take a look at:

http://vxl.sourceforge.net/

I use it on mac os x and linux for video processing from firewire cameras and its worked pretty well.

It is c++ though.

Also, don't be so sure matlab isn't fast enough. For basic applications like tracking your hand, a good matlab program will certainly be fast enough.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
GeeYouEye said:
I don't know whether you can use a webcam as an input source, but take a look at processing.org

Sure you can! We did this at Uni. With Logitech Quickcams (in greyscale). We didn't use Macs though :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.