Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takufu01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
HI everyone!!...looking for some advice....what internet speed is needed to get the ATV2 to operatate at its full capacity....I am going to be swithching ISP and looks like we are getting FIOS in my area real soon....what speed should be the minimum I get....want to download movies in HD....thanks for the help!

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
HI everyone!!...looking for some advice....what internet speed is needed to get the ATV2 to operatate at its full capacity....I am going to be swithching ISP and looks like we are getting FIOS in my area real soon....what speed should be the minimum I get....want to download movies in HD....thanks for the help!

If by HD you mean the 720p movies from iTunes, having higher bandwidth only means the movie will be ready to watch sooner. If by HD you mean netflix HD then I believe with their algorithms 5Mbps down is the recommended. However if by HD you mean mkv's and jail breaking your appletv to play them then internet bandwidth won't have any effect on that.

takufu01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
really looking for what speed will give the fastest download...currently my dsl is only 900....hoping the fios will be much faster....my atv2 is not jb...guess want to get the movies as fast as possible...right now so slow that I don't rent them

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
really looking for what speed will give the fastest download...currently my dsl is only 900....hoping the fios will be much faster....my atv2 is not jb...guess want to get the movies as fast as possible...right now so slow that I don't rent them

Well with my fios I have the 25/25 package, downloads from iTunes usually peak out around 20Mbps so I guess that would be the best package, also when you say 900 is that Kbps or KBps? Big differences. If you only get 900Kbps then I can guarantee any FIOS will be faster than that, if it's 900KBps, then you would need the 10Mbps FIOS or higher to actually download faster than that.

takufu01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Unfortunately it is the 900 kbps....I am 125' short of the max distance I can be for DSL:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.