Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
I'm trying to streamline online sharing of photos. So far, my options seem to be:
1) Facebook, Flickr - don't want to use this
2) Picassa - works ok, but a little bit of a pain
3) Adobe solutions - have no experience with
4) Via my domain using something like Gallery (btw, I use dreamhost).

Here's my situation, I would like to be able to create online albums - some will be open to public, some I would like to password protect. This is not for commercial purposes (I do not need to accept payment).

I am trying to find the easiest way to upload finished photos, organize ad protect my work.

If hosting on my own domain is the best option (I would have total control), any ideas on what platform to use? I am not a programmer and would like to focus on ease of use so my wife can also upload/share.

If I posted in the wrong section, please let me know, and thanks in advance for your help!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
How many people will be accessing? Dozens, hundreds, thousands, etc.

For small number a CMS such as wordpress on your own site will work fine.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Flickr seems to be the most popular on this forum. Smugmug is well spoken of and several users are happy with 500px. Go through the current Photo of the Day thread and find someone with a link to a 500px gallery. It looks like a Facebook for photographers.

Dale

Oberhammer

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
I'm trying to streamline online sharing of photos. So far, my options seem to be:
1) Facebook, Flickr - don't want to use this
2) Picassa - works ok, but a little bit of a pain
3) Adobe solutions - have no experience with
4) Via my domain using something like Gallery (btw, I use dreamhost).

Here's my situation, I would like to be able to create online albums - some will be open to public, some I would like to password protect. This is not for commercial purposes (I do not need to accept payment).

I am trying to find the easiest way to upload finished photos, organize ad protect my work.

If hosting on my own domain is the best option (I would have total control), any ideas on what platform to use? I am not a programmer and would like to focus on ease of use so my wife can also upload/share.

If I posted in the wrong section, please let me know, and thanks in advance for your help!

Photobucket

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I use Gallery and upload via a plugin for Aperture. While it doesn't have the features of the sites you listed, it works for me and has just enough tweekability for me to keep using it.

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Thanks

Thanks for the responses.

Guy - great photos and thanks for the smugmug coupon. I'm considering it, but I'll probably use Wordpress - at least for now - since I have some experience with it. I'm not planning on too many viewers maybe up to 100 (for now). I'll take a look at Gallery as well as looking into Simpleviewer.

I do like 500px; some of the work there is very impressive. I'm leaning towards hosting all files myself. Of course, that takes away a certain amount of 'easy', but I think it will be worth it.

I haven't used photobucket, but I'll take a look - thanks Oberhammer

Consultant - Thanks for your earlier feedback. Do you have any experience with Perch? I need to work with it again sometime this week but I'm guessing image handling is fairly streamlined.

And if anyone has experience with Simpleviewer, please let me know.

Thanks again for your time.

Last edited:

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Thanks for the responses.

Guy - great photos and thanks for the smugmug coupon. I'm considering it, but I'll probably use Wordpress - at least for now - since I have some experience with it. I'm not planning on too many viewers maybe up to 100 (for now). I'll take a look at Gallery as well as looking into Simpleviewer.

I do like 500px; some of the work there is very impressive. I'm leaning towards hosting all files myself. Of course, that takes away a certain amount of 'easy', but I think it will be worth it.

I haven't used photobucket, but I'll take a look - thanks Oberhammer

Consultant - Thanks for your earlier feedback. Do you have any experience with Perch? I need to work with it again sometime this week but I'm guessing image handling is fairly streamlined.

And if anyone has experience with Simpleviewer, please let me know.

Thanks again for your time.

If you plan on hosting it yourself, and you know a bit of HTML, you could use jQuery and some Shadowbox plugin. That's what I used for my site, and while I suck at designing, it does a good enough job of displaying the photos.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I like Zenfolio a lot. Your photos look great on their site, you can try it out free for two weeks to see if you like it, they host videos as well and best of all they have an iPad app so you can look at all of your photos easily on your iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.