PDA

View Full Version : emac remote desktop question please help

Anarchy99
May 15, 2005, 06:02 PM
ive got a emac that i use over the net with apple remote desktop my problem is i want the screen off on the machine while i use it how can i

mklos
May 15, 2005, 06:41 PM
As far as I know, there's no way to turn the screen off without either putting the eMac to sleep or shutting it off. There may be some hacks on http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

Please be careful when doing the hacks on that site. They may work, but one mishap and your warranty goes down the toilet!

SteveC
May 15, 2005, 07:05 PM
As far as I know, there's no way to turn the screen off without either putting the eMac to sleep or shutting it off.
How about going into System Preferences and editing the settings to tell the screen to shut off after "x" of minutes. Is that possible on an eMac? I'm pretty sure it was on mine. I think it's an energy saver setting under Screen Saver or display or something like that.

mklos
May 15, 2005, 07:11 PM
Well yes, that will shut the screen off, but when you use Remote Desktop and take control of the screen on that eMac the eMac acts just like you're in front of it. So when you take control of the screen and move the mouse, the screen will turn back on because the computer is now in use.

Anarchy99
May 16, 2005, 07:52 AM
Well yes, that will shut the screen off, but when you use Remote Desktop and take control of the screen on that eMac the eMac acts just like you're in front of it. So when you take control of the screen and move the mouse, the screen will turn back on because the computer is now in use.
exactly

jestershinra
May 16, 2005, 09:23 PM
Have you tried the "lock desktop" feature in Remote Desktop? It displays a locked message on screen, but I'm not sure if you can work with the machine while it's locked...

After G
May 17, 2005, 12:04 AM
How about making two accounts and using one while being logged in as the other?