PDA

View Full Version : Apple Seeds iOS 5.0.1 Beta: Multitasking Gestures for iPad 1, Battery Life Improvements

MacRumors
Nov 2, 2011, 04:38 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/02/apple-posts-ios-5-0-1-beta-for-developers/)

Apple just released iOS 5.0.1 beta to developers. The build number of 5.0.1 is 9A402.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/501beta.jpg

iOS 5.0.1 beta contains improvements and other bug fixes including:
- Fixes bugs affecting battery life
- Adds Multitasking Gestures for original iPad
- Resolves bugs with Documents in the Cloud
- Improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation
- Contains security improvements

iOS 5.0.1 beta introduces a new way for developers to specify files that should remain on device, even in low storage situations.The last note about files addresses an iOS 5.0 issue (http://www.marco.org/2011/10/13/ios5-caches-cleaning) raised by Marco Arment.There's no longer anywhere to store files that don't need to be backed up (or can't be, by the new policy) but shouldn't be randomly deleted.The iOS 5.0 policy introduced issues for apps that wished to store offline data. Apple appears to have addressed this issue in 5.0.1.

Article Link: Apple Seeds iOS 5.0.1 Beta: Multitasking Gestures for iPad 1, Battery Life Improvements (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/02/apple-posts-ios-5-0-1-beta-for-developers/)

penajmz
Nov 2, 2011, 04:41 PM
Thank God! Battery has been horrible on my 4s.

Lukkee24
Nov 2, 2011, 04:42 PM
Good their working on fixing battery life :D.

Formul
Nov 2, 2011, 04:42 PM
If the release notes are true, this fixes almost every single problem with iOS 5. Nice

3bs
Nov 2, 2011, 04:43 PM
Any idea on when this might be available for us non developers?

iPad 3
Nov 2, 2011, 04:44 PM
you've got me to thanks, i emailed them yesturday and said i wanted an update so I guess they have delivered on that.

mrboult
Nov 2, 2011, 04:45 PM
Gestures on the original iPad!!!! Alright!

oiuh151
Nov 2, 2011, 04:49 PM

Agreed! Really glad they're adding this functionality.

crisss1205
Nov 2, 2011, 04:50 PM
I wish there was a way to do the update OTA.

TG1
Nov 2, 2011, 04:52 PM
I wish there was a way to do the update OTA.

Hmm. Wouldn't this be the first test of iOS 5's OTA abilities?

adztaylor
Nov 2, 2011, 04:54 PM

That's the one that stuck out for me, glad they're adding this back.

crisss1205
Nov 2, 2011, 04:55 PM

No, they did OTA updates before from Beta 4 to Beta 5 to Beta 6 or something like that, too bad I can't do OTA with this beta update.

EDIT: Note to developers, you can apply the 5.0.1 beta update by doing a "Option+Update" in iTunes, no need to do a full restore.

TechDudeGeorge
Nov 2, 2011, 04:55 PM

A few of the betas used OTA updates. They wouldn't use the beta, as they wouldn't know what devices to make it available to. The final version will most definitely be OTA.

LastLine
Nov 2, 2011, 04:56 PM

Indeed. It's all good though, I shall look forward to this but won't be installing Beta - I've just got Siri working beautifully for me so shan't be doing a restore to test ;-)

bettaboy123
Nov 2, 2011, 04:56 PM

YES!!! I thought I was going to have to jailbreak again for that option. This makes me super happy! I can finally stop using my cursed home button. :D Now all that needs to happen is delta app updates in the background and a fix to the new Music app (which sucks) and I'll be completely happy with iOS 5. :)

manu chao
Nov 2, 2011, 04:57 PM
Agreed! Really glad they're adding this functionality.
Not adding, bringing it back. Multitouch gestures worked fine on the iPad 1 since iOS 4.3, you just needed (the free) Xcode to enable it with a simple checkbox. Loosing them with iOS 5 made me for the first time consider jailbreaking my iPad.

Chocolatemilty
Nov 2, 2011, 05:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm definitely happy that they're adding multitasking gestures back to the iPad 1. No need for a jailbreak now.

Now, can they PLEASE fix the Safari crashing issue on the iPad 1?! That one's the most infuriating, as I actually added multitasking gestures using a modified version of redsn0w that doesn't apply a jailbreak.

isoft7
Nov 2, 2011, 05:05 PM
There will be no real noticeable battery life improvements with this, or any future release. Trust me.

hchoo
Nov 2, 2011, 05:07 PM
They should also address the echo issue with the use of the headphones! There are many people including myself with this issue! I'm already on my 3rd iPhone 4S and all of the replacements I got had this issue including the current one I have now....

Anonymous Freak
Nov 2, 2011, 05:07 PM
Improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation

Wait, you mean not every Australian sounds like Crocodile Dundee? :confused:

GorgonPhone
Nov 2, 2011, 05:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm definitely happy that they're adding multitasking gestures back to the iPad 1. No need for a jailbreak now.

Now, can they PLEASE fix the Safari crashing issue on the iPad 1?! That one's the most infuriating, as I actually added multitasking gestures using a modified version of redsn0w that doesn't apply a jailbreak.

umm you always need a jailbreak.. ios is crap with no BJ..:mad:

azentropy
Nov 2, 2011, 05:08 PM
No Siri on iPad 2 yet?? ;)

ravenvii
Nov 2, 2011, 05:12 PM

... I lol'd.

MBHockey
Nov 2, 2011, 05:12 PM
you've got me to thanks, i emailed them yesturday and said i wanted an update so I guess they have delivered on that.

God, THANK YOU. Otherwise they would have never known about this.

anjonjp
Nov 2, 2011, 05:20 PM
Hmmm, unfortunately there is no mention of photos (camera roll) and camera. From reviewing the Apple Forums, my issue with these seem to be pretty common. Like others, these two built-in apps worked fine initially, then gradually became worse - like as if the problem grew like cancer.

The issue:

Some photos / videos are displayed as black or grey boxes (initially, these would be fine upon import into iPhoto - now are not visible by iPhoto at all)
Camera Roll cannot be viewed - app crashes

Since yesterday, Airplay decided not to work. I haven't confirmed whether this is an issue unique to my device or shared with others.

I am using an iPhone 4 and a 'restore' didn't do anything except disorganize my apps layout and folders. In fact, it didn't put my apps back on the initial try.

delawn
Nov 2, 2011, 05:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Thanks a lot. I told my wife that my iOS needed a BJ and now I have the imprint of an iPhone on the side of my head.

cmChimera
Nov 2, 2011, 05:22 PM
Trust me.No?

Deedlez
Nov 2, 2011, 05:27 PM

Totally agree, can't wait to get these!

alternateroute
Nov 2, 2011, 05:28 PM
Improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation

Crikey! You little bonza rippa bewdy, I tripped over my dingo and nearly fell in the esky when I read about that!

(I bit et still cant understind Kiwis tho, eh bro!)

isoft7
Nov 2, 2011, 05:29 PM
Haha... sheeps.

I love my iPhone too, but I'm no fool.

Time will prove me right. :cool:

bettaboy123
Nov 2, 2011, 05:30 PM
[SIZE=1]Now, can they PLEASE fix the Safari crashing issue on the iPad 1?! That one's the most infuriating, as I actually added multitasking gestures using a modified version of redsn0w that doesn't apply a jailbreak.

Can you point me to the directions on how to do that? I must have my gestures back NOW, but I don't want to jailbreak again. :( Please and thank you. :)

Affrae
Nov 2, 2011, 05:35 PM
Crikey! You little bonza rippa bewdy, I tripped over my dingo and nearly fell in the esky when I read about that!

(I bit et still cant understind Kiwis tho, eh bro!)

Strewth! This post FTW

JetBlack7
Nov 2, 2011, 05:36 PM
Anyone know how long will it take for Apple to release this update to everyone?

bushido
Nov 2, 2011, 05:37 PM
they will probably turn off some location services by default and call it a bug fix :p no jk, idk how they could possible fix a battery. its still doing better than the average android smartphone. iphone users like me r just spoilt and expect more ^^

rainbowsofwhite
Nov 2, 2011, 05:40 PM
" - Improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation. "

This phones been a bit crook and it's been given me some curry.
No worries mate, she'll be right now....

:D

BlueParadox
Nov 2, 2011, 05:41 PM
If the release notes are true, this fixes almost every single problem with iOS 5. Nice

I agree with the attached quote, but I'm finding the issue surrounding syncing to both my iPhone 4S and my wife's 3GS (on separate computers) profoundly frustrating.

Connect > iTunes > Sync > several steps to sync > last step stalls, and stalls, and stalls. Never-ending message of "waiting for changes to be applied" or such. Surely this is a major inconvenience worth both addressing and mentioning in a release note.

Funny thing though, I haven't experienced any battery issues whatsoever on the 4S - lasts for a while with heavy use and for a long time when sitting idly by. Strange. :confused:

Darth.Titan
Nov 2, 2011, 05:42 PM

Can you point me to the directions on how to do that? I must have my gestures back NOW, but I don't want to jailbreak again. :( Please and thank you. :)

You don't want to do that. The hack he speaks of is what causes the Safari crashes he wants fixed. I applied the same tweak to my iPad, and while I got the gestures, Safari (and a few other apps) would crash immediately on launch. The problem was resolved with a restore to an un-hacked iOS.

Just wait for the official update. You can make it a few more weeks.

bushido
Nov 2, 2011, 05:44 PM
You don't want to do that. The hack he speaks of is what causes the Safari crashes he wants fixed. I applied the same tweak to my iPad, and while I got the gestures, Safari (and a few other apps) would crash immediately on launch. The problem was resolved with a restore to an un-hacked iOS.

Just wait for the official update. You can make it a few more weeks.

cant u enable the gestures using xcode without having to jailbreak?

inkswamp
Nov 2, 2011, 05:48 PM

My question too but I'm leaving out the smiley.

crisss1205
Nov 2, 2011, 05:49 PM
Anyone know how long will it take for Apple to release this update to everyone?

I say about 2 weeks, just a guess.

Mlrollin91
Nov 2, 2011, 05:55 PM
I really hope this fixes my bluetooth bug as well. Contacts no longer sync with car nav. on iOS 5..

kjjnk
Nov 2, 2011, 05:55 PM

Likely won't be available on anything other than the 4S until it's out of beta.

rafaltrus
Nov 2, 2011, 06:03 PM
I am getting
Your software is up to date.

When the public version of iOS5 was released, this is the version I uploaded on my iPod Touch and now I am not getting updates for developers. Do I have to download the entire image of 5.01 now?

:confused:

Taz Mangus
Nov 2, 2011, 06:04 PM

I was on the phone the other day with AppleCare about Safari crashing on the iPad 1 but not the iPad 2. When I first reported it Apple thought it was a hardware issue with my iPad 1. Apple ended replacing my iPad with another one. I was able to show Apple that the problem happened on the second one they gave me plus the AppleCare rep was able to reproduce it. The rep sent it up to engineering. I hope the fix gets in iOS 5.0.1.

AdeFowler
Nov 2, 2011, 06:04 PM

Thrilled by this. I enabled them before with Xcode and have really missed them in iOS 5. Thanks Apple :apple:

Merthyrboy
Nov 2, 2011, 06:05 PM
Can't wait to have Multi touch gestures back for the original iPad, I've missed them so much. I'm looking forward to see how well the OTA update goes as well.

l.w41sh
Nov 2, 2011, 06:06 PM
Security improvemens are the iPad 2 SmartCover glitch... I hope.

Taz Mangus
Nov 2, 2011, 06:06 PM
cant u enable the gestures using xcode without having to jailbreak?

With iOS 5.0 mult-touch gestures for the iPad 1 can't be enabled with Xcode like with iOS 4.3.

isoft7
Nov 2, 2011, 06:07 PM
they will probably turn off some location services by default and call it a bug fix :p no jk, idk how they could possible fix a battery. its still doing better than the average android smartphone. iphone users like me r just spoilt and expect more ^^

Yep, even if you might be jk, you're hitting the nail on the head.

Like I said though, the sheep will hate you for life just because you speak the truth.

bmw000
Nov 2, 2011, 06:27 PM
Wish they would fix push notifications for exchange mail. They lag up to 10 min. Sometimes even longer. Not so instant anymore...

mox358
Nov 2, 2011, 06:28 PM
I'm so glad the gestures are coming to original iPad! I was really disappointed to find out they were only on the iPad 2...

kolf
Nov 2, 2011, 06:29 PM
Is there no news on a fix for audio playback speeds? This seems like a fairly important and fundamental problem given the update left very many iPads stuck on slow or fast playback.

Taz Mangus
Nov 2, 2011, 06:30 PM
Yep, even if you might be jk, you're hitting the nail on the head.

Like I said though, the sheep will hate you for life just because you speak the truth.

Of course, instead of addressing the battery issue in Android, Google leaves it up to someone else to create an app to handle it. Or better yet, Android phone makers offer an extended battery to make up for the short coming in Android. Sounds like great solutions to me :rolleyes:

Zwhaler
Nov 2, 2011, 06:30 PM
Same iOS 5 iPad music app? Not interested.

crisss1205
Nov 2, 2011, 06:32 PM
Security improvemens are the iPad 2 SmartCover glitch... I hope.

Yep, it is fixed.

brygruver
Nov 2, 2011, 06:34 PM
I am getting

When the public version of iOS5 was released, this is the version I uploaded on my iPod Touch and now I am not getting updates for developers. Do I have to download the entire image of 5.01 now?

Affirmative, but you can Option-Update to it using iTunes. No full restore needed, which is a relief. No new iTunes or Xcode to download either.

BergerFan
Nov 2, 2011, 06:35 PM
A shame there's no news yet of an option to delete images from PhotoStream. :(

Mr. Gates
Nov 2, 2011, 06:36 PM
All of these problems were created by Apple on purpose to leave Jailbreakers in the dust and add to the idea that Jailbreaking is bad for you.

They did it last year with "Antennae Gate" ...Magically after the Untethered Jailbreak was released ,..they put an Update with a "Fix"

brygruver
Nov 2, 2011, 06:43 PM
All of these problems were created by Apple on purpose to leave Jailbreakers in the dust and add to the idea that Jailbreaking is bad for you.

They did it last year with "Antennae Gate" ...Magically after the Untethered Jailbreak was released ,..they put an Update with a "Fix"

It's a trap by Steve Jobs, planned and carried out from the grave!@! Only Mr. Gates is capable of seeing through Apple's evil plans to take over and destroy the world.

suresh31
Nov 2, 2011, 06:48 PM
I can't seem to get this 5.0.1 to work. Even though all my iDevices are registered under dev, after the update iTunes says it can't activate my iDevices because they are not registered under dev program.

Any ideas?

Yuusharo
Nov 2, 2011, 06:55 PM
There will be no real noticeable battery life improvements with this, or any future release. Trust me.

Yes, trust you, a random pseudo-anonymous person posting on a forum thread, over the work of thousands of engineers employed by one of the most profitable and influential tech companies in history. Yep, I totally trust you over them.

/s

nagromme
Nov 2, 2011, 06:56 PM

And yet another example of Apple bringing new stuff to older devices, rather than leaving the missing feature as one more incentive to upgrade.

And like all the other times Apple does so, it will be instantly forgotten because they don’t ALWAYS do so. And the times they don’t, people will gnash their teeth over Apple’s supposed “pattern” of always omitting features out of pure greed :p As though any company ever brings ALL the new stuff to previous systems. (Android handset makers sure don’t! (http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support))

ghostface147
Nov 2, 2011, 06:57 PM
I can't seem to get this 5.0.1 to work. Even though all my iDevices are registered under dev, after the update iTunes says it can't activate my iDevices because they are not registered under dev program.

Any ideas?

Renew or get new certificates?

haphadon

Any ideas?

Many people had this problem including myself, I found a solution in the developer forums. You have to hold option (shift on windows) and click "Update" not "Restore", otherwise it will not activate. Not sure why this is happening as usually it is the exact opposite.

Regardless, in the future try seeing if there is any information on your problems on the actual developer forums. That way you have less of a chance of breaking your NDA and since there is generally much more information there then anywhere else.

Hope this helps! :)

dage007

Any ideas?

Same problem here. Have tried several ways to get it to work with my 2 phones. XCODE also gives me an error but all is good on the dev site.

mr0c
Nov 2, 2011, 06:58 PM

Any ideas?

Nope, I've got the same issue - I did notice an expired cert, so I renewed that. Still no luck, so I removed the device and then added it back, unfortunately my iMac is at home with xCode and I'm on the road stuck with my lenovo until Friday. Doh!

suresh31
Nov 2, 2011, 06:59 PM
Same problem here. Have tried several ways to get it to work with my 2 phones. XCODE also gives me an error but all is good on the dev site.

Got to be problem on the server side, not able to verify udid's. My iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2 all failing to update.

ilovemyibook
Nov 2, 2011, 07:00 PM

I hope your being sarcastic, but it's hard telling.

brygruver
Nov 2, 2011, 07:02 PM
Got to be problem on the server side, not able to verify udid's. My iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2 all failing to update.

I used iTunes. I'm on 10.5.1 beta. I held down option, clicked update, and selected the appropriate image. Updated flawlessly and fast. Updated both my GSM iPhone 4 and iPad 1.

haphadon
Nov 2, 2011, 07:03 PM

Nope, I've got the same issue - I did notice an expired cert, so I renewed that. Still no luck, so I removed the device and then added it back, unfortunately my iMac is at home with xCode and I'm on the road stuck with my lenovo until Friday. Doh!

Read my post a few posts up. But to sum it up, if you are on 5.0.1 and stuck then put your device in DFU mode restore it to 5.0 then "Update" don't "Restore" to 5.0.1, if you aren't stuck on 5.0.1 and are still on 5.0 then just ignore the DFU mode step. This worked for me and many others according to the dev forums :)

Yuusharo
Nov 2, 2011, 07:05 PM
I am getting

You're not seeing an OTA update on your iPod Touch because there is no update publicly available. The update is available through the iOS developer portal, which is only available to registered (paid) developers. You will not be able to install or activate 5.0.1 until it is publicly available for everyone.

suresh31
Nov 2, 2011, 07:12 PM
Read my post a few posts up. But to sum it up, if you are on 5.0.1 and stuck then put your device in DFU mode restore it to 5.0 then "Update" don't "Restore" to 5.0.1, if you aren't stuck on 5.0.1 and are still on 5.0 then just ignore the DFU mode step. This worked for me and many others according to the dev forums :)

Thanks, that worked.

spazzcat
Nov 2, 2011, 07:20 PM
There is a new iTunes beta also...

Davewithak
Nov 2, 2011, 07:21 PM
Do you have to have your UDID registered to install this?

borisiii
Nov 2, 2011, 07:21 PM
Good to hear. My iPhone 4S still lasts me through the day, but there is a noticeable drop in battery life from the 4. I hope this is a proper fix and not a "we're making the signal bars taller" kind of fix.

Looking forward to multitasking gestures on the original iPad, although I still won't believe they are coming until I have them in my hand. After all, they have appeared in previous dev builds but never made the cut before.

haphadon
Nov 2, 2011, 07:25 PM
Do you have to have your UDID registered to install this?

Yes you do.

ryan102
Nov 2, 2011, 07:26 PM
Just installed iOS 5.0.1, been running 5mins with mail switched on (was off on 5.0) and Bluetooth and a radio app. So far still on 100%, I would of dropped down to about 95-97% by now on 5.0. I think Apple has fixed the battery issue, atleast for me.

Edit. Dropped to 99% at 11mins in. I can live with that

Edit2. Just restarted my phone after plugging my USB cable in, rebooted back up and I lost 2% battery life. Down to 97%. Still charging now

starstreak
Nov 2, 2011, 07:37 PM
Crap. no fix for push to iPhone?

viperGTS
Nov 2, 2011, 07:39 PM
Glad to see battery life being improved. :) anything is better than nothing.

hinchesk
Nov 2, 2011, 07:42 PM
Looking forward to multitasking gestures on the original iPad, although I still won't believe they are coming until I have them in my hand. After all, they have appeared in previous dev builds but never made the cut before.

I doubt they're going to put the feature in the release notes for an update due within weeks then remove the feature.

My guess is the gestures were left out of the iPad 1 builds by accident. Doesn't make sense that they were in the betas then disappeared in the final build then come back a few weeks later. I doubt they were removed because of bugs... Apple *should* know how to code gestures by now.

cameowordup
Nov 2, 2011, 07:46 PM
Proofs that Tim Cook is on top of the problems budding from iOS 5. Long live Tim Cook.!^_^

andybno1
how annoying I did the restore option and says my phone isn't registered as dev phone yet when I login to dev account theres my phone's udid

iTorment
God, THANK YOU. Otherwise they would have never known about this.

I love the conversations here, always a good laugh to be had.

mmomega
Nov 2, 2011, 07:48 PM
A shame there's no news yet of an option to delete images from PhotoStream. :(

Click on your name at the top right corner.
Click advanced.
Reset Photo Stream.

mr0c
Nov 2, 2011, 07:48 PM

Thanks - worked for me too - now just have to wait the 2-3 hours to restore, from icloud, (i forgot to do an itunes backup before updating) over the hotels cr@ppy wifi ....

andybno1
Nov 2, 2011, 07:49 PM
Click on your name at the top right corner.
Click advanced.
Reset Photo Stream.
that wipes the full photostream the poster was on about individual photos

mmomega
Nov 2, 2011, 07:54 PM
that wipes the full photostream the poster was on about individual photos

Right,
Yeah haven't found anyway to do singles.

Mr. Retrofire
Nov 2, 2011, 07:59 PM
Any idea on when this might be available for us non developers?

Approximately, with high probability sooner or later.

mmomega
Nov 2, 2011, 08:00 PM
Right,
Yeah haven't found anyway to do singles.

As per Apples FAQ

Single photo deleting is not an option. Yet.
For me it's not a big deal but I can see where one wouldn't want every single photo taken to be in the stream.

How do I delete photos from my Photo Stream in iCloud?

Individual photos cannot be deleted from your Photo Stream. You can, however, delete all the photos in your Photo Stream by clicking the Reset Photo Stream button in your account at icloud.com. The Reset Photo Stream button will instantly delete all Photo Stream photos stored in iCloud, but it will not remove any Photo Stream photos that have already been pushed to your devices.

rafaltrus
Nov 2, 2011, 08:09 PM
Affirmative, but you can Option-Update to it using iTunes. No full restore needed, which is a relief. No new iTunes or Xcode to download either.

Thanks!!

Amazing Iceman
Nov 2, 2011, 08:15 PM
Oh Man! if Apple enables Multitasking Gestures for iPad 1 I'll be so happy! :D

I was using gestures since iOS 4 by enabling these with xCode, and I've missed it since upgrading to iOS 5.

Regarding battery life issues, I have experimented these with Auto-Time Sync enabled; the battery could last as usual or suddenly drain considerably.
Also, I would recommend disabling WiFi when on the road, so the iPad doesn't keep trying to discover and connect to every WiFi device it finds it as you move around.

Good news indeed...!

igazza
Nov 2, 2011, 08:21 PM
A beta for .1 this is a first ?:)

Saberon
Nov 2, 2011, 08:24 PM
Beta's for .1 is common (4.2, 4.3 etc)

A beta for 0.01 is waaaay uncommon.

radiotowers
Nov 2, 2011, 08:46 PM
No issues updating here (did option+Update). Very happy to have the multitasking gestures on my original iPad. For whatever reason, I'd never enabled them via Xcode prior to iOS 5, so I didn't know exactly what I was missing, but I'm certainly glad they're here!

maclab
Nov 2, 2011, 08:52 PM
Calendar is still buggy as hell !

Winter Charm
Nov 2, 2011, 08:55 PM
My only reaction:

:D *huge grin/fistpump* :cool:

austinguy23
Nov 2, 2011, 10:41 PM

So has this improved battery usage or not?

Stratus Fear
Nov 2, 2011, 11:00 PM
Yes you do.

Interestingly, so long as you do the shift+update method, you don't need your UDID registered. At least this was the case with my 4S. I haven't registered my UDID yet (forgot), but using the update method worked just fine to put 5.0.1 on my iPhone. You probably wouldn't want to reset settings or anything after that until you registered your UDID, though.

Starslider
Nov 3, 2011, 02:10 AM
i did not reset any settings after upgrading to 5.0.1b on my iphone4s.
My battery dropped over night from 99% to 59% :-(

what a mess....

now i resetted networksettings and resetted all mailaccounts... we will see...

greetings from switzerland
dom

Stuipdboy1000
Nov 3, 2011, 02:26 AM

So has this improved battery usage or not?

Too early to tell. Give it a day or so so people can test out the software in real world situations.

mabaker
Nov 3, 2011, 03:45 AM
AMazing news for the original iPad! Wouldn't have thought they will add this feature after all. WOW!

lewy
Nov 3, 2011, 04:44 AM
Does Safari still chrashes?

Is double tap in Safari now fluent?

AdeFowler
Nov 3, 2011, 06:01 AM
Not adding, bringing it back. Multitouch gestures worked fine on the iPad 1 since iOS 4.3, you just needed (the free) Xcode to enable it with a simple checkbox. Loosing them with iOS 5 made me for the first time consider jailbreaking my iPad.

For the vast majority of the millions of people using the original iPad, Apple are adding multi-touch gestures. I know 6 people with iPad 1s and none of them enabled gestures.

ct2k7
Nov 3, 2011, 06:25 AM
Settings.app would work, now was I able to turn iPhone 4S with iOS 5.0.1 off :(

hynke
Nov 3, 2011, 07:12 AM

Yes, that issue is really annoying, because it doesn't affect only Safari, but basically any app that is viewing web using Webkit. For me it also regularly occurs in FlipBoard and 1Pasword apps.

l.w41sh
Nov 3, 2011, 07:24 AM
So how do I fix the problem with my iPhone 4S not being registered with the developer program when it is...
I get an error on iTunes and my phone then I have to use DFU mode and restore.

pugnut
Nov 3, 2011, 07:52 AM
So how do I fix the problem with my iPhone 4S not being registered with the developer program when it is...

If you are not a developer, but have the seed, you need to get the source that gave it to you to add you to the developer portal

ViperDesign
Nov 3, 2011, 08:01 AM

I have to say you are completely wrong.

Installed and battery life is much much better. Have everything turned on as well.

Whatever they did has worked for me.

andylyon
Nov 3, 2011, 08:09 AM
If this is an OTA update I wonder how large (or small) the update will be.

(When its released to the public of course)

uspino
Nov 3, 2011, 08:14 AM
Can anybody check and see if, out of compassion, Apple has finally activated the use of the USB Camera Connection Kit in the iPhone in 5.0.1?

It doesn't make any sense to release GarageBand for the iPhone/iPod and still block the use of decent USB sound cards and microphones through the Camera Connection Kit as we do in the iPad.

Thanks!

trfjason
Nov 3, 2011, 08:29 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I installed iOS 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4S, it did improve the battery life. Before the update, my phone will lose 5-7% overnight, with wifi on. With the update, it only went down by 1-2%.

l.w41sh
Nov 3, 2011, 08:31 AM
If you are not a developer, but have the seed, you need to get the source that gave it to you to add you to the developer portal

I am a developer. And my UDID is registered...
I have my apps that I am working on, on my iPhone. I had all the betas for iOS 5.

trfjason
Nov 3, 2011, 08:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's a known bug. Restore your phone in DFU. Once everything is done, go to your iTunes on your computer, hold the option key and press check for update. It will open up a window for you to browse for the beta on your computer.

GorgonPhone
Nov 3, 2011, 08:46 AM
AMazing news for the original iPad! Wouldn't have thought they will add this feature after all. WOW!

my ipad 1 is staying on ios 4.3.3 until there is an untethered jailbreak..

ViperDesign
Nov 3, 2011, 08:47 AM

It's a known bug. Restore your phone in DFU. Once everything is done, go to your iTunes on your computer, hold the option key and press check for update. It will open up a window for you to browse for the beta on your computer.

If you are on the PC use, Shift+Click.

I had the same issue and this worked for me.

PBG4 Dude
Nov 3, 2011, 08:53 AM

My iPad 1 is still on 4.3.5 since I didn't want to lose gestures. Once I have power back, I'll have to update it to 5.0.1 . :D

milo
Nov 3, 2011, 09:32 AM
Same iOS 5 iPad music app? Not interested.

Whoever downvoted this one either has never used the music app on iPad or is an idiot. BY FAR the worst part of iOS5, many bugs in it and it's very disappointing to see no mention of music issues in the release notes.

Anyone running the beta on iPad, any improvements/fixes to the music app?

Known issues with 5.0 on iPad (note that the app is completely different than the iPhone version):
1) Lyrics completely missing
2) Playback speed for audiobooks and podcasts gone, many users stuck with half speed playback
3) Playlists only displayed as cover art stacks, no option to change back to text lists
4) No 30 second rewind button in audiobooks and podcasts
5) No more graphical display of which podcasts have been listened to
6) No way to get new episodes of podcasts in the music player (have to switch apps to the iTunes app and search for the podcast there)
7) Tiny displays for many of the fields - podcast info in particular barely shows any of it and it doesn't scroll
8) No dates shown for podcasts any more
9) In album view of the list of songs, it switches away from that view to the album cover at the end of every song
10) No sort options in most listings
11) Podcasts and audio books - no longer continues on to the next podcast or section of the book, have to keep manually starting the next one.
12) Chapter support for audiobooks removed
13) Graphics of things like random and repeat are just slight variations on shades of grey, very difficult to tell whether it's active or not
14) Music videos no longer with music, also no way to have them in playlists

I'm sure there are many more, that's just off the top of my head. In general the interface is very poorly laid out with tons of wasted space that could show more text info or have more controls more easily accessible. Honestly they should just scrap the new version and go back to the previous iPad music player and make fixes from there, still needs improvement (my main gripes with the old one were having to dig through multiple windows to rate songs instead of having the feature always available, and cumbersome way of putting songs into playlists) but much less to fix.

Here's one of many threads about the problems.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1254178

So anyone running the beta on iPad, are any of these things fixed or not? Any info would be appreciated.

Sackvillenb
Nov 3, 2011, 11:24 AM
Multitasking gestures on the iPad 1, yay!!!! Hopefully they'll fix stability issues though, I've found iOS 5 and especially the new safari to be extremely unstable. Not sure if it's just me, but my safari crashes extremely frequently now. Not cool.

Tonewheel
Nov 3, 2011, 03:11 PM
The issues of the past 24 hours since the new beta came out seem to be resolved. I just updated both my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 sans problems.

Thetonyk123
Nov 3, 2011, 07:18 PM
YES!! Finally multi tasking gestures on iPad 1.

austinguy23
Nov 3, 2011, 09:09 PM
Okay, it's been 24 hours. Anyone tested the battery usage with the beta iOS yet?

Amazing Iceman
Nov 3, 2011, 10:41 PM
If this is an OTA update I wonder how large (or small) the update will be.

(When its released to the public of course)

I wonder if version updates via OTA will also be available as a full update using iTunes.

----------

Does Safari still chrashes?

Is double tap in Safari now fluent?

Safari was crashing on me continuously last night while trying to watch a YouTube video embedded to a website. I had to reset the iPad (OFF and ON) to solve the problem.

Amazing Iceman
Nov 4, 2011, 12:06 AM
Whoever downvoted this one either has never used the music app on iPad or is an idiot. BY FAR the worst part of iOS5, many bugs in it and it's very disappointing to see no mention of music issues in the release notes.

Anyone running the beta on iPad, any improvements/fixes to the music app?

Known issues with 5.0 on iPad (note that the app is completely different than the iPhone version):
1) Lyrics completely missing
2) Playback speed for audiobooks and podcasts gone, many users stuck with half speed playback
3) Playlists only displayed as cover art stacks, no option to change back to text lists
4) No 30 second rewind button in audiobooks and podcasts
5) No more graphical display of which podcasts have been listened to
6) No way to get new episodes of podcasts in the music player (have to switch apps to the iTunes app and search for the podcast there)
7) Tiny displays for many of the fields - podcast info in particular barely shows any of it and it doesn't scroll
8) No dates shown for podcasts any more
9) In album view of the list of songs, it switches away from that view to the album cover at the end of every song
10) No sort options in most listings
11) Podcasts and audio books - no longer continues on to the next podcast or section of the book, have to keep manually starting the next one.
12) Chapter support for audiobooks removed
13) Graphics of things like random and repeat are just slight variations on shades of grey, very difficult to tell whether it's active or not
14) Music videos no longer with music, also no way to have them in playlists

I'm sure there are many more, that's just off the top of my head. In general the interface is very poorly laid out with tons of wasted space that could show more text info or have more controls more easily accessible. Honestly they should just scrap the new version and go back to the previous iPad music player and make fixes from there, still needs improvement (my main gripes with the old one were having to dig through multiple windows to rate songs instead of having the feature always available, and cumbersome way of putting songs into playlists) but much less to fix.

Here's one of many threads about the problems.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1254178

So anyone running the beta on iPad, are any of these things fixed or not? Any info would be appreciated.

Wow!!! I can't believe that so much has been removed from iTunes!
No lyrics, no audiobook chapters, not showing images embedded in audiobooks, it's horrible. I wonder if this new iTunes is a work in progress, and that Apple will continue to add features to it. Otherwise, the "cut the cord" phrase has no real meaning and I would go back to 4.3 if I could.

dazcox5181
Nov 4, 2011, 06:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A402 Safari/7534.48.3)

For me battery life is now awesome,

3.5 hrs heavy usage (camera, browsing, uploading pics and vids) and 14hrs standby and at 64% battery left!

lewy
Nov 4, 2011, 06:43 AM
Safari was crashing on me continuously last night while trying to watch a YouTube video embedded to a website. I had to reset the iPad (OFF and ON) to solve the problem.
I'm talking about iPhone ;).

stieny
Nov 4, 2011, 08:20 AM
Edit....

Nvm....wrong thread

Christo295
Nov 4, 2011, 09:13 AM
I would think this would be a no-brainer fix! Does Apple not know that the microphone is active when headphones are in place?

They should also address the echo issue with the use of the headphones! There are many people including myself with this issue! I'm already on my 3rd iPhone 4S and all of the replacements I got had this issue including the current one I have now....

----------

What does OTA stand for...?

ct2k7
Nov 4, 2011, 09:19 AM
What does OTA stand for...?

Over The Air.

milo
Nov 4, 2011, 09:38 AM
Wow!!! I can't believe that so much has been removed from iTunes!
No lyrics, no audiobook chapters, not showing images embedded in audiobooks, it's horrible. I wonder if this new iTunes is a work in progress, and that Apple will continue to add features to it. Otherwise, the "cut the cord" phrase has no real meaning and I would go back to 4.3 if I could.

Yep, it's pretty shocking and probably hard for people to believe if you if they haven't actually used the app.

Anyone running the beta and tried out the music app in .1? Any better or same problems still?

notme
Nov 4, 2011, 10:01 AM
I hope all the audio problems of music App of iOS5 in iPhone 4 are also resolved.

In my case all music is distorted, can't listen to music anymore, no matter if I apply "volume adjustment" in Itunes or not to my mp3/aac. Also, the volume is much lower in any situation: calls, music app, viber, all...

I regret having updated my phone and look forward for 5.0.1 to fix this asap. There is plenty of people having same problems:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3395928?start=15&tstart=0

ThaMacDaddy
Nov 4, 2011, 04:39 PM

From my understanding SIRI is in the actual hardware of the iPhone 4s not just a software update.

milo
Nov 4, 2011, 04:43 PM
From my understanding SIRI is in the actual hardware of the iPhone 4s not just a software update.

If that were the case it would be impossible to hack Siri to work on any other device. Which has already been done.