PDA

View Full Version : Need your thoughts about a case and a keyboard

Mindy60
Nov 2, 2011, 06:58 PM
I was going for this case (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q7KTF4) along with the logitech keyboard (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Tablet-Keyboard-Keyboard-920-003241/dp/B0054L8MR8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=II28L76V8H27I&colid=25UW18EFXNX60) and bypass the stand that comes with the keyboard. I am just unsure of how I'd go vertical with the iPad if it is in a case. I like this case because it supports sleep mode. It is also highly rated. The keyboard also has great reviews.

What do you think of this combo together? Does it seem like a workable solution? Would you see a need to go vertical or do you think just going horizontal would be enough? Your thoughts? Any recommendations/solutions towards a case and a keyboard are welcome here. TIA...

Mindy60
Nov 2, 2011, 07:08 PM
Well I guess I am going with the case. It was too late to cancel. I'll see how it works out, how well the case stays open if I want to go vertical and I use the stand that comes with the keyboard. I'd still like to hear your thoughts! Thank you. :)

jshannon01
Nov 2, 2011, 08:24 PM
If the case will lay flat with the ipad screen visible, you could use the keyboard case to stand it portrait. I am considering that keyboard/stand and simply keeping the ipad in a neoprene protective case (when not in use).

There is also the possbility that your case, being triangular, might stand up portrait, but that may not be stable. Let us know how it works out.

TXLongHorn
Nov 3, 2011, 05:07 PM
I have a classmate using a foldable keyboard... very nice and thin..

jsh1120
Nov 3, 2011, 05:51 PM
If you're not planning to use the Logitech Keyboard Case in any case, you might want to consider an alternative to the Logitech keyboard, itself. Not a comment against the Logitech keyboard (they make very good ones. I'm typing on one.) However, the Microsoft 6000 bluetooth portable keyboard is a GREAT keyboard. Slightly wider (side to side) than the Apple Wireless Keyboard and the Logitech. But it's ergonomically curved to eliminate wrist strain. Works very well with the iPad and batteries last (seemingly) forever. Been using one with a laptop for a couple of years and I use it frequently with the iPad. Very close to full size keys and great "action."

Best of all, it's just a bit more than $30 on Amazon.

IrishVixen
Nov 3, 2011, 07:18 PM
Well, I only type in vertical with a BT keyboard, and I have a near identical case I use once in a while. Because it doesn't have a true vertical mode, it stands perfectly upright at a 90 angle, which isn't ideal. A slight tilt would make it far more comfortable to read in this position, and that's part of the reason I very rarely use that case. And no, it's not terribly stable in that position.

jshannon01s idea of a sleeve & the Logitech keyboard/stand combo, or my own Incase Origami/Apple Wireless/sleeve setup make more sense if you're going for a portrait setup for keyboarding. If you're OK with landscape instead, the case you picked and jsh1120s suggestion of the Microsoft 6000 can't be beat for the price.

jsh1120
Nov 3, 2011, 08:11 PM
Irish Vixen's suggestion of the Apple Wireless Keyboard and the Origami Workstation is also a very good one. I also have that setup largely because it enables me to fit the OW keyboard case holding the AWK along with the iPad into a "Travel Express" case from Waterfield Designs.

If you go that route, by the way, you may be able to use the Origami Workstation with the Bear Motion case if the latter folds flat on the back of the iPad. The OW has a very wide "groove" into which the iPad and case fit. I have a Bear Motion back protector and a SmartCover on my iPad. The iPad fits in either orientation perfectly in the OW when it the OW is folded into its "stand" posture.

Finally, I happen to have some experience with Bear Motion. I purchased a very inexpensive (on sale) leather back protector from them. Paid $3 for it on a whim. Long story short, I couldn't get the iPad to fit. When I posted a negative reivew on the Amazon website, Bear Motion contacted me immediately. They replaced the case free of charge. When I had the same problem with the second case, they also replaced that one. I was perfectly willing to let the whole matter go. (It was, after all, only a $3 purchase.)

But Bear Motion wouldn't hear of it. They didn't give up until I was completely satisfied and the product worked exactly as advertised. I've literally never seen a company so completely devoted to customer satisfaction. They even called me (twice) to be sure the case worked for me.

In short, I was not initially impressed by the fit problems I had with the case I received. But I can't say enough about the effort the company expended to resolve the problem. They're good folks.

Mindy60
Nov 5, 2011, 12:32 AM
I like that microsoft keyboard. Haven't received my case yet so won't be getting a keyboard just yet. I've bookmarked this thread for the future. Great ideas folks! Thanks. :)

Mindy60
Nov 6, 2011, 03:33 PM
Well I received the case I mentioned in my first post of this thread, the Bear Motion case. I ordered it from Amazon free shipping and received it two days later! I love it. I did end up getting the Apple bluetooth keyboard with the Origami Workstation and I can do both horizontal and vertical!! This is just great. I'm typing on my new keyboard right now.

I highly recommend the Bear Motion case I got from Amazon. It is very well made and ...well you've just got to read the reviews. The seller is awesome. The link is in my original post. I highly recommend this apple keyboard! And it all fits nicely in a small laptop case. Perfect!

Anybody want to buy a Dell netbook? It's red! ;)

jsh1120
Nov 6, 2011, 03:42 PM
Happy to hear it worked out well for you. I like the Origami Workstation/Apple Wireless Keyboard combination very much. And as you note, Bear Motion is an outstanding vendor.

IrishVixen
Nov 6, 2011, 06:03 PM
Glad to hear it all worked out! I do love my AWS/Origami setup when I'm away from my desk--it even works for typing on your lap, which is awesome. (On my desk, I use a stand that elevates the iPad a bit, no case, and I take the keyboard out of the Origami.)