Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oström

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
I want to restore my Macbook Air, how? no cd or usb with the 2011 MBA =/ Thanks :)

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
boot to recovery partition with CMD R at startup.

Format disk w/ Disk Utility

Get on wi-fi

Use lion internet recovery to install Lion.

If you have decent internet whole process should take less than an hour.

oström

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Thanks, Im a little scared tho as the wifi on lion is unreliable on all my lionmacs, I hope it doesnt break during installation :D

Is there any data-eraser that makes my data hard to recover from the buyer? got some personal data :p

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
You should be fine.

When using disk utility, under the erase tab, look at options. You can choose to zero the drive or even do a 7-pass wipe.

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY
You should be fine.

When using disk utility, under the erase tab, look at options. You can choose to zero the drive or even do a 7-pass wipe.

Last time I checked, the option was grayed out...oooh...did I have to click on the actual HDD (partition + recovery partition) and not my main Lion partition? Hmph. But if you do that, wouldn't you delete the restore partition too?

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
Thanks, Im a little scared tho as the wifi on lion is unreliable on all my lionmacs, I hope it doesnt break during installation :D

Is there any data-eraser that makes my data hard to recover from the buyer? got some personal data :p

I can't comment on the ability for someone to recover your personal data but the internet recovery downloads the full image first before doing any install. So if your wifi does crap out, you'll be able to try again. It won't go into any actual install until it has a full recovery image.

yongren

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2011
I can't comment on the ability for someone to recover your personal data but the internet recovery downloads the full image first before doing any install. So if your wifi does crap out, you'll be able to try again. It won't go into any actual install until it has a full recovery image.

If I recall correctly, the download will also pick up where it left off if there's a hiccup in the connection.

However, if you start installation and something goes wrong, you can't restart the process without re-downloading the entire image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.