Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
If so, how is it?

I am thinking about getting a HDMI media player as my TV (Bravia LX900) disables the side-by-side 3D option when playing video from USB.

My Blu-Ray player (Pioneer BDP-430) also doesn't allow any video playback from its USB ports:mad:

There are lots of cheap HDMI media player boxes now available, they allow connecting memory cards and USB sticks and play almost all formats.

Most SBS 3D media is in mp4 or MKV format 1080p, so the mp4 video will be easy to load into itunes and sync across.

Each has it's Pro's and Cons, so what do you like about the Apple TV for your 3D needs?:cool:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Recently got a 3DTV so gave this a try, playing 720p SBS mp4s via Airplay, and via Home Sharing. Streams flawlessly - no problem with the data rate.

Personally, I've found that I get eye stress and/or dizziness if I watch any 3D (movies or games) for too long, but I have to admit it's pretty impressive still!

k12g3

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
i recently watched The Lion King 3D on my ATV. I got an mkv file and used HandBrake to convert it to m4v. I was really surprised at how much of the quality was maintained transferring it from 1080p to 720p. Works flawless on my ATV. One of the best 3D experiences i've had and technically the ATV "doesnt support 3D" lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.