PDA

View Full Version : Why Buy a Mac

benixau
Oct 10, 2002, 11:22 AM
In less than 30 words, why did you buy a mac. Please include your mac specs after your reason in the following format:

[sp/dp] [speed][Mhz/Ghz];[model];[optical drive];[hdd size];[screen size][screen type];[OS]

eg. DP 867Mhz;MDD;SuperDrive;80GB;17" Sony Triniton;OSX 10.2.1

my reason:

I could not stand any more than four years of using a pc, windows XP or not. I needed a mac. My name is .....

specs: DP 867Mhz;MDD;SuperDrive;80GB;17" Sony Triniton; OSX 10.2.1

strider42
Oct 10, 2002, 11:33 AM
Because its the computer I wanted to use. And I suppose because I've been using macs as long as I've been using computers.

Rev A iMac, 192 megs of ram and a 7200 rpm 20 gig HD.

blackpeter
Oct 10, 2002, 12:21 PM
- Because I spent $3000 on a Dell when they broke the GHz barrier
- Because Dell had to replaced it twice
- Because even after that, it NEVER WORKED! :mad:

...because they gave me a full refund* ;)

G4/533 - Digital Audio
768 MB
17" Studio CRT

Groovsonic
Oct 10, 2002, 12:33 PM
Why'd I buy a Mac?
Well, I guess that was because of my previous computer. I had a Gateway for about 3 years, and had a pantload of trouble with it. First off, it ate a CD. Then I couldn't get connected to the net(which led me to like almost 2hrs on hold from tech. support at gateway). I did some video editing and the results were less than great. I had the "blue screen of death" almost every day. The final straw was this: something went horribly wrong with and it started making a horrible noise from inside the case, and it was just horrible! You want to talk about blue screens of death!!!
It was horrible. Now you might be saying, "He must not know how to use the computer correctly and just screwed it up", but this was not the case. I have been using PCs for about 12 years. I basically taught myself how to use DOS, and am great with computers. I am pretty computer savvy, but I had never heard of (nor had I had) this much trouble on one computer.
All this, coupled with the fact that the mac was so cool looking, really made me stop and consider the mac. I've had it for about 1 month, and am really digging on it.
I have a 17in FP iMac 800mhz, 256 mb ram Superdrive.
The only thing I have not liked about the mac is that you can't find software for it almost anywhere (not at walmart, target, bestbut, circuit city, ect...) I know they make plenty of great software for it, but where is it sold???

Anyways...Did I go over 30 words???? :p

benixau
Oct 10, 2002, 12:40 PM
only a bit

JamesDP
Oct 10, 2002, 01:16 PM
Because I got sick of fighting my PC just to get it to work. Macs to me looked better and worked better, so I thought to myself, "What's the question?"

700MHz iBook, Combo Drive, 20GB, 12.1", OSX 10.2.1 [640MB RAM]

Sun Baked
Oct 10, 2002, 02:22 PM
I can't really tell you, since I've never been a PC using lemming following the voice of big brother off the cliff to crash into the blue below.

From the days of the Apple II plus right through the Macs of today, I've never been forced to kneel before Bill Gates for any job - boy that must suck.

Biggles
Oct 10, 2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Groovsonic
I know they make plenty of great software for it, but where is it sold???

Have to use the internet here.

Amazon.com
Outpost.com
etc.

(well at least those are the easiest places to find stuff)

SilvorX
Oct 10, 2002, 05:22 PM
ive been using macs for YEARS, and i tried osx for the first time ever this summer, and i was basically drooling (not literally) cuz i loved how it worked :)

/me is getting a mac in a month...
hopefully getting:

DP 867Mhz, ddr-pmac, combo-drive/dvd-rom drive, 100 GB HD's, 17" Panasonic Panasync monitor, os 10.2

cant wait to get it :)

UnixMac
Oct 10, 2002, 07:06 PM
OS X
OS X
OS X
OS X
OS X
Unix

That is why!

mmmdreg
Oct 10, 2002, 07:30 PM
I've always used macs and have tried using PC's at home but they just don't do it...it's probably the OS...
SP 600MHz;i Mac (classic); CD-RW; 40GB; 15"? builtin; Jaguar

bousozoku
Oct 10, 2002, 09:48 PM
I bought my first Mac after my PC laptop died. At that time, I was fixing the system to run each application. On my Mac, it all just worked, and still does.

elensil
Oct 12, 2002, 02:33 PM
Every PC I have ever knew ended up dying. After a while they all feel like a watch with a loose screw inside. (At first it just rattles a little and then everything goes to hell). I did professional video editing on a PC and had lost several days of work.
Now i own a Dual 867 and i am very happy;) :D

medea
Oct 12, 2002, 02:38 PM
I was tired of reinstalling XP every month or so, and numerous other reasons that involved windows and the hardware I was using, I got fed up and had been wanting a mac for years so I finally got one, and I have absolutely no regrets nor have I ever looked back.

800mhz G4, 15"Flat panel iMac w/60GHD and superdrive. 256mbRAM. Jaguar.

edesignuk
Oct 12, 2002, 02:41 PM
I bought a Mac because I was bored/fed up of windows and wanted a change, simple as that.

DP1Ghz. Powermac Quicksilver. SuperDrive. 1Gb RAM. 80Gb. 2 x 18" LCD. OS 10.2 (duh!)