Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Well I posted a personal ad to see what kind of takers I'd get for my iBook set up. I've gotten dozens of offers for the asking price, and I'm really surprised because this model is really early. I was asking for $650, but was offered $700. This is the iBook set up

- iBook G4 800mHz 12" w/ original packaging and paperwork
- 60GB HD upgraded from 30GB
- 640MB RAM max
- Two keyboards: English and Japanese Kaigan
- Airpot Extreme Card
- Tiger OS Installed
- Netgear Wireless Router (802.11b)

What do you think? Great deal, increase price, Or should I quit while I'm ahead. And I plan on investing the money to beef up my current set up.. my powerbook. Any ideas or opinions? Would be greatly appreciated?

Have a great day

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Unless your buyer actually wants it, I'd think that most buyers would be willing to forego the kaigan keyboard without lowering the price, because it'd be useless to them (unless, of course, you actually *live* in Japan, in which case a different story!). In that case, you might be able to sell it on eBay or something and that would help boost your price.

But considering I have a fairly similar model (40GB, BT, no Kaigan kb) I'm heartened to hear of your experience! :D

EDIT: BTW, what is a kaigan keyboard? Does it have hiragana or katakana keys?

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
It's a funny story on why I got a Japanese Keyboard.

I was trying to get a replacement one for my iBook cause the keys were acting funny. And so I tried to order a new one and thought it'd be cool to have a Japanese one. The person I was on the phone with was having trouble taking the order, so he had to get a couple of supervisors to authorize it. So I was put on hold and got disconnected, didn't get a chance to give billing information. The next day, I got a package on the doorstep, it was the keyboard with no bill inside! And that same day I ordered a new keyboard cheaper from this powerbook repair site. So I now have two keyboards, both brand new... Japanese with both japanese and english characters on it, and regular English.

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
Over the course of trying to sell my iBook (of my signature), I was offered $700 for it.

For your G4, I would consider asking for more. Perhaps $850-$900.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wow, $850 for a used, older iBook? Why? For $1000, someone could get a new one. I just don't understand resale value for Mac stuff. Really. I'd rather get a new one, especially with the new iBooks due any time soon.

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
I think $700 is a very generous offer. Sell it, take the money, and enjoy your new system you buy with the money. You won't get $700 offers for that systems too many more times. I'd only pay $600 for it, because like a previous poster said, I can buy a new one for $949 with a faster cpu. Sure, it has more ram and a better hard drive, but it also is used with some mileage on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.