PDA

View Full Version : Case-Mate Introduces Tank, A "Military-Grade" iPhone Case

MacRumors
Nov 3, 2011, 02:06 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/03/case-mate-introduces-tank-a-military-grade-iphone-case/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/casematetank.jpg

Case-Mate is taking on Otterbox for the claim of best super-protective case. The Otterbox Defender series (http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-4S-Defender-Series-Case/APL2-I4SUN,default,pd.html) has long-been the go-to case for those looking to keep their iPhone free from harm -- but Case-Mate says the Tank (http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-4S-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-4-4S-Tank-Cases.asp) provides military-grade protection for the iPhone 4 and 4S.
Modeled after motorcycle helmet engineering, Tank is designed with a hard, impact resistant exterior and a shock absorbing interior. A shatter resistant, polycarbonate hard shell combines with the thick, silicone cushioned interior.

The retractable screen shields from impacts, cracking and condensation, fully protecting the iPhone screen. The Tank exterior is made of a premium, soft grip texture that slides easily in and out of your pockets. The Tank tests number one in impact resistance against the leading brand, and meets or exceeds US military standards.BxFrJ5RgxH8
The Tank (http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-4S-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-4-4S-Tank-Cases.asp) is $60 and comes in four colors. It's available from Case-Mate's online store (http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-4S-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-4-4S-Tank-Cases.asp).

Article Link: Case-Mate Introduces Tank, A "Military-Grade" iPhone Case (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/03/case-mate-introduces-tank-a-military-grade-iphone-case/)

chrono1081
Nov 3, 2011, 02:13 PM
I'm not implying this product is bad by any means but for those of us who have been in the military, we know that "military grade" doesn't necessarily mean it works well :P

jlgolson
Nov 3, 2011, 02:14 PM
I'm not implying this product is bad by any means but for those of us who have been in the military, we know that "military grade" doesn't necessarily mean it works well :PHogwash.

Also, all MRE's are delicious and nutritious.

Caliber26
Nov 3, 2011, 02:14 PM
That video made me feel like I was watching an episode of Criss Angel: Mindfreak.

EmbraceTheOne
Nov 3, 2011, 02:17 PM
Impressive.

iRCL
Nov 3, 2011, 02:17 PM
It's only military grade if it's being used in the military. Which I'm certain it isn't. How lame, look at how ugly it is! Why not just buy an android device..

rdowns
Nov 3, 2011, 02:19 PM
It's only military grade if it's being used in the military. Which I'm certain it isn't. How lame, look at how ugly it is! Why not just buy an android device..

Because Android phones are prices of crap.

http://www.cultofmac.com/127918/android-phones-are-pieces-of-crap-costing-telecoms-2-billion-a-year-to-replace-study/

TaterSalad
Nov 3, 2011, 02:23 PM
I never understood why people admire the beautiful design of iPhones, but wrap their phones in thick pieces of silicon and rubber turning it to something resembling a Fisher-Price toy.

HarryKeogh
Nov 3, 2011, 02:25 PM
Can it resist being slammed five feet directly into the sidewalk while being told "nice phone case, dork!"?

kjs862
Nov 3, 2011, 02:27 PM
That's pretty awesome! I'm going to suggest it to a friend with the otter box.

mac=saif
Nov 3, 2011, 02:28 PM
But, Will it Blend?

Sardonick007
Nov 3, 2011, 02:31 PM
Looks good and at a decent price point but I just have a funny thing about spending that much on a phone where design is a cornerstone just to have it hidden by a bulky helmet. I mean, it makes sense to protect such an investment if you're hard on phones, but it just detracts from the overall purity in design, beauty and weight. I'm sure there's a demographic out there for it and I'm also sure I would appreciate something that stopped me from destroying my expensive phone. Just wish there was more of a balance between form and function.

stev3n
Nov 3, 2011, 02:32 PM
How about the Survivor Case (http://www.griffintechnology.com/armored)?

eenuuk
Nov 3, 2011, 02:35 PM
How about the Survivor Case (http://www.griffintechnology.com/armored)?

Was just about to say that! Case-Mate is competing with that not the Otterbox. The Survivor case is also UK and US military spec where the Case-Mate is just US.

And the Survivor case can be had for 1/4 of the price

Sardonick007
Nov 3, 2011, 02:39 PM
It's amazing what passes for an informed article today.

Because Android phones are prices of crap.

http://www.cultofmac.com/127918/android-phones-are-pieces-of-crap-costing-telecoms-2-billion-a-year-to-replace-study/

Consequence
Nov 3, 2011, 02:42 PM
just spend $40 more and get applecare+

mattg3
Nov 3, 2011, 02:47 PM
If its so great it should be the ultimate iphone upgrade.Apple should just buy the company and package the case along with the phone as part of the purchase price.

chrmjenkins
Nov 3, 2011, 02:47 PM
You won't believe how many times I've accidentally fired my iphone from sling-shots, cannons, trebuchets and other various instruments-of-doom. Now they don't get damaged anymore! Thanks case-mate!

Comeagain?
Nov 3, 2011, 02:53 PM
But, Will it Blend?

Not if the case holds up to what they say it will!

FloatingBones
Nov 3, 2011, 03:04 PM
You won't believe how many times I've accidentally fired my iphone from sling-shots, cannons, trebuchets and other various instruments-of-doom. Now they don't get damaged anymore! Thanks case-mate!

You never know. The number of trebuchets does seem to be increasing at an alarming rate.

They didn't try strapping it to a model rocket. I guess that would have thrown off the balance of the launch.

chrmjenkins
Nov 3, 2011, 03:06 PM
You never know. The number of trebuchets does seem to be increasing at an alarming rate.

They didn't try strapping it to a model rocket. I guess that would have thrown off the balance of the launch.

Plus, who destroys technology via other technological-means? It's always the medieval-warfare stuff that gets you.

Mr. Retrofire
Nov 3, 2011, 03:22 PM
It seems to be necessary.

eNcrypTioN
Nov 3, 2011, 03:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is the worst looking case I have ever seen. Yuck!!

Celtic-moniker
Nov 3, 2011, 03:26 PM
That video made me feel like I was watching an episode of Criss Angel: Mindfreak.

As in.... you felt that the video was full of complete wankers?

Digidesign
Nov 3, 2011, 03:27 PM
Wow, those LEGO garage doors can take a beating :D
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqQOKjIE3vIwCOPhBOIjvI7,h!~~_3.JPG

Celtic-moniker
My question is: Can this case take a bullet?

3N16MA
This is great! Will make sure to purchase one for my next iPhone throwing competition.

OafTobark
Nov 3, 2011, 03:52 PM
this thing is... ugly.

unless your in Iraq or Afghanistan, i see no need for that, tank

MordechaiCarver
Nov 3, 2011, 04:19 PM
Looks like a cheap knockoff of a Ballistic Hard Core (http://www.goballisticcase.com/products/iphone-4-4s-ballistic-hc-series-case) case.

Also reviewed here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SW24-oHvY4).

I bought mine when the 4s came out. Haven't looked back since. Comes with a built-in screen protector so you don't have to buy one...which saves aggravtion of getting air bubbles in the crappy roll-on ones.

Mordechai

nonameowns
Nov 3, 2011, 04:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is the worst looking case I have ever seen. Yuck!!
Hm until mobile devices come with all kinds of proofing to remove the need for a case, you're out of options. :D

Adidas Addict
Nov 3, 2011, 04:52 PM
Take the best looking phone on the market and make it look like that? No thanks, would rather just take a little care with my stuff.

toasty hoodie
Nov 3, 2011, 04:59 PM

Tempting, but considering I got my Griffin Survivor for $8, I'll stick with that

BikingBobcat
Nov 3, 2011, 07:42 PM

If you want indestructible AND water proof check out Life Proof Cases

Www.lifeproof.com

2 Replies
Nov 3, 2011, 07:50 PM
Pretty much a half-life mod waiting to happen! :D

ekdor
Nov 3, 2011, 08:12 PM
-

Nielsenius
Nov 3, 2011, 08:44 PM
Using this case is idiotic unless you're actually bringing your iPhone into a combat situation. Maybe people should just take better care of their possessions. (Talking to the girls in high school who carry their phone in their hand all day. Try putting it in your pocket where it won't fall.)

reden
Nov 3, 2011, 09:38 PM
I never understood why people admire the beautiful design of iPhones, but wrap their phones in thick pieces of silicon and rubber turning it to something resembling a Fisher-Price toy.

I'm with you on that.

ghostlyorb
Nov 3, 2011, 10:20 PM
Hogwash.

Also, all MRE's are delicious and nutritious.

I think MREs are very delicious. Nutritious.. not so much. But that is besides the point.

cuestakid
Nov 3, 2011, 10:57 PM
This reminds me of the story of the Army soldier who had an ipod in his pocket and got shot, and the ipod actually saved the guy's life since the bullet slowed the bullet down

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/05/ipod-takes-bullet-for-soldier/

hirosan
Nov 3, 2011, 11:20 PM
Well, haters gonna hate, but I have actually seen some engineers working in the field use this kind of case due to their line of work. Don't just think about yourself. The world does not revolve around you. There are other people that might find this thing to be helpful.

sockatume
Nov 4, 2011, 06:11 AM
It's impact resistant, but it can only resist rain for 15 minutes and it isn't rated for immersion at all. Surely the appeal of a sturdy case is that the iPhone is effectively impervious to harm? Why would you want a case that'll survive bowling balls but can't withstand being dropped in a puddle?

the8thark
Nov 4, 2011, 07:16 AM
Was just about to say that! Case-Mate is competing with that not the Otterbox. The Survivor case is also UK and US military spec where the Case-Mate is just US.

This is the big reason why if I was in this market I'd buy the Case-Mate. The Aussie military is as strict as the UK one.

Digitalclips
Nov 4, 2011, 07:24 AM
I'm waiting for someone to tie a 4s to a hydrogen balloon and talk to Siri from Space. This would be a useful case for that. :D

----------

Well, haters gonna hate, but I have actually seen some engineers working in the field use this kind of case due to their line of work. Don't just think about yourself. The world does not revolve around you. There are other people that might find this thing to be helpful.

When you think about it, anyone riding a motorcycle should use one along with the helmet. When you hit a stone wall at 80 m.p.h. your head and iPhone will be recognizable.

----------

This is the big reason why if I was in this market I'd buy the Case-Mate. The Aussie military is as strict as the UK one.

I asuume they make an upside down version? ;)

----------

It's impact resistant, but it can only resist rain for 15 minutes and it isn't rated for immersion at all. Surely the appeal of a sturdy case is that the iPhone is effectively impervious to harm? Why would you want a case that'll survive bowling balls but can't withstand being dropped in a puddle?

You omitted to mention sub oceanic pressure or outer space vacuum!

----------

This reminds me of the story of the Army soldier who had an ipod in his pocket and got shot, and the ipod actually saved the guy's life since the bullet slowed the bullet down

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/05/ipod-takes-bullet-for-soldier/

The military are already looking into a jacket made entirely of iPhones in military grade cases.

rcappo
Nov 4, 2011, 10:30 AM

If you want indestructible AND water proof check out Life Proof Cases

Www.lifeproof.com

I have one on my iPhone 4S and it works great. It isn't nearly as bulky, but I did need to modify it to add a strap so I don't lose it on the water kayaking or boating.

It can be used underwater, which will come in handy when snorkeling.

lhymes
Nov 4, 2011, 12:02 PM
bandana on head? mr awesome

ldaustin
Nov 4, 2011, 12:42 PM
"slides easily in and out of your pockets" - only if you got some big pockets.

Mike Oxard
Nov 4, 2011, 12:47 PM
I have one on my iPhone 4S and it works great. It isn't nearly as bulky, but I did need to modify it to add a strap so I don't lose it on the water kayaking or boating.

It can be used underwater, which will come in handy when snorkeling.

How do you talk to Siri with a snorkel in your mouth though?

highdough
Nov 4, 2011, 01:17 PM
Can it resist being slammed five feet directly into the sidewalk while being told "nice phone case, dork!"?

Start working out and you probably won't have that problem.

----------

Same reason a beautiful woman puts a helmet on to ride a motorcycle. To keep it looking nice.

Lostanddamned
Nov 4, 2011, 01:45 PM
I was thinking about picking one of these up, I do a fair bit of work on boats, dredging, trawling and drop-coring.

But its not waterproof. Pass. I'll just keep it naked in the inner pocket of my hoodie, under my waterproofs.

krisarmstrong
Nov 4, 2011, 04:05 PM

I have to agree with you on this one. Thought interestedly enough i ended up buying an otter box for my wife. She just drops the damn thing to much. She has cracked the glass on her phone now 4 times.

----------

Military grade? Does this mean I can finally run over my iPhone in a tank? :-)

possumwater
Nov 4, 2011, 04:34 PM

Mil Spec means what it says. It meets the Specs the Military required for them to be ABLE to purchase it. Not everything has to be Mil Spec. If it is required to be Mil Spec for a certain reason...it could be purchased only if it meets the specifications.

It's not that complicated..

Tvill21
Nov 4, 2011, 09:18 PM

I wonder how it stacks up against the new lifeproof case?

garbeth
Nov 4, 2011, 10:31 PM

Because some of us have jobs that take us weird and wonderful places that beautiful iPhones don't particularly like.

michaelsviews
Nov 5, 2011, 06:13 AM

You know absolutly that the Military is NOT using the iPhone? The only thing you know is "jack". The military has been testing the possibilities, after bringing in the iPad. Its just a matter of time. There was an article a while back on the iPhone being used by government agencies, not 100% certain of military though.

Android Device hmmmm whats that, OH thats the POS:eek: that keeps on trying to catch up to the iPhone

vastoholic
Nov 5, 2011, 07:49 AM
You know absolutly that the Military is NOT using the iPhone? The only thing you know is "jack". The military has been testing the possibilities, after bringing in the iPad. Its just a matter of time. There was an article a while back on the iPhone being used by government agencies, not 100% certain of military though.

Android Device hmmmm whats that, OH thats the POS:eek: that keeps on trying to catch up to the iPhone

The military had actually tested out giving basic trainees iPhones preloaded with TM's (technical Manuals) and random Military creeds/General Orders that they had to memorize.

Because some of us have jobs that take us weird and wonderful places that beautiful iPhones don't particularly like.

Word..... iPhone's don't like Afghanistan that much.

wwrgsww
Nov 5, 2011, 09:06 AM
I work at heights sometimes and my iPhone 4 has taken a fall from 25ft to hard cement, and the otter box saved it. Yes while these cases are big and bulky.

For a few people, they are some what required. I work at heights and with pyrotechnics and I don't want to have to worry if my phone falls that I will have to spend $600 on a new one.

RCAndrews
Nov 5, 2011, 09:18 AM
I think those who do not understand why people use these cases are truly being naive.

Not all of us make a living sitting in a cubicle or in such environments that are safe and comfortable and even in those places I am sure dropping an unprotected iPhone onto the floor from desk high or 6' high wouldn't be a good thing.

Also remember Apple Care doesn't always cover a damaged product, especially when it is liquid damage and Apple Care doesn't last forever either.

Winter Charm
Nov 5, 2011, 11:35 AM
But, Will it Blend?

probably not. ;)

----------

Also, I really feel like the people at Iosafe should do an iPhone case...

I mean, they already make near indestructible external hard drives
For example, these are the specs on the Iosafe SOLO SSD:
1. Fireproof - Protects data from loss up to 1550F for 1/2 hour
2. Waterproof - Protects data from loss up to 30ft for 30 days
3. Crush/Shockproof - Up to 5000lbs and 1000 G's

Now that's a "tank" :)

hakr100
Nov 5, 2011, 11:42 AM
I think those who do not understand why people use these cases are truly being naive.

Not all of us make a living sitting in a cubicle or in such environments that are safe and comfortable and even in those places I am sure dropping an unprotected iPhone onto the floor from desk high or 6' high wouldn't be a good thing.

Also remember Apple Care doesn't always cover a damaged product, especially when it is liquid damage and Apple Care doesn't last forever either.

I agree. I have a "full body" leather case on my iPhone 4S which offers protection and I might pop for the "Tank" case. The "thinness" of the iPhone doesn't impress me. I don't wear skin-tight clothes and most of my shirts and pants and jackets have pockets large enough for a "twice-as-thick" iPhone.

In fact, if the iPhone were "thicker-er," there would be room inside the case for a larger capacity battery.

:)

NAG
Nov 5, 2011, 04:52 PM
Plus, who destroys technology via other technological-means? It's always the medieval-warfare stuff that gets you.

You forgot using it as a make shift tennis ball. Now I don't need to remember my balls when I go to the court!

toddybody
Nov 5, 2011, 07:41 PM
This is the case that took down Bin Laden

mrsir2009
Nov 5, 2011, 09:28 PM
I'd rather have my phone broken than have that... thing on it.

AmpSkillz
Nov 5, 2011, 09:59 PM
Video seemed to show a lot of testing in the grass... never heard of anyone dropping their phone in grass and breaking it

Gasu E.
Nov 5, 2011, 10:16 PM

I was hit by a flying iPhone last time I was in LA! You, sir, shall be hearing from my attorney...

----------

this thing is... ugly.

In Afghanistan, you will need to cover the phone with an iBurqa.

saturn88
Nov 6, 2011, 12:00 AM
Yea, iPhone needs that case since it's not Gorilla glass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f03bea2B0nc

DirtyDan
Nov 6, 2011, 01:21 AM
It's just a gimmick. The Otterbox is the same way. Ugly, bulky, heavy, and overkill for the majority of the people that have them... not to mention overpriced.

I've tried a lot of different cases like Speck and Incase (slider) and although they are probably the better cases on the market in regards to keeping the elegant form they still take away too much from the phone for my liking.

I do keep a case at home just in case I know I'm getting into something (camping/hunting, sports, etc.) but on a day to day basis I usually just carry my phone in my pocket in it's raw form.

In my opinion, the iPhone just looks and feels so much better without a case on it.

----------

Yea, iPhone needs that case since it's not Gorilla glass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f03bea2B0nc

Gorilla glass is pretty awesome, but a big issue here is weight and size too. The iPhone weighs more, and has less surface area so when it's dropped like that there is more pressure applied where it impacts the ground. The Galaxy is significantly lighter, and has a much larger surface area so there is less weight and less pressure applied upon impact.

But Galaxy's durability comes at a price. The device looks and feels cheap in comparison to the iPhone, it's mostly made up of plastic. The iPhone feels and looks much more solid, and has an expensive weight to it (I know that sounds funny but you know what I mean). I've owned both phones, and while I like both of them in different ways when it came down to it I stuck with the iPhone.

Macsparky
Nov 6, 2011, 07:53 AM
You can't be to careful, sometimes it just happens, this looks like a good case. Yes its not super thin, nor beautiful...but it will save your iPhone.... I have worked as motorcycle tech since 1978 yea I know I'm a old guy... I have burned through a lot of phones... Drops, flies out of pocket on test ride, rolling around on the shop floor the list goes on. Some people need what this case has to offer and others don't..... If you don't need one then pass, if your life style is ruff and tumble then look into this type of case... End of story :)

mrsir2009
Nov 6, 2011, 11:49 AM
You can't be to careful, sometimes it just happens, this looks like a good case. Yes its not super thin, nor beautiful...but it will save your iPhone.... I have worked as motorcycle tech since 1978 yea I know I'm a old guy... I have burned through a lot of phones... Drops, flies out of pocket on test ride, rolling around on the shop floor the list goes on. Some people need what this case has to offer and others don't..... If you don't need one then pass, if your life style is ruff and tumble then look into this type of case... End of story :)

There are other tough cases that aren't as extreme that will meet most people's needs. This is just overkill.

ChrisTX
Nov 6, 2011, 01:34 PM
There are other tough cases that aren't as extreme that will meet most people's needs. This is just overkill.

The idea is the Otter Box is a very successful case, and these guys just want a piece of that pie.

Dr McKay
Nov 6, 2011, 03:17 PM

I used to think that and kept my phone out of a case, until I realized that the softest part of the back of a phone is the camera lens, and that the camera lens sits on the same level as the phone back, so when you put it down, the lens comes into contact with the surface it's resting on. So guess what accumulated so many small scratches over the period I owned it that
it became unusable as a camera?

The lens.

And after seeing this, this was my friends iPhone 4, after it fell 3 feet onto carpet.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc35/BensoftMedia/IMG_0425.jpg

this thing is... ugly.

So it's fairly pointless then? Seeing as you arent allowed a personal cell phone in Afghanistan, they can swipe all your contacts and details from the phone the moment you turn it on, let alone use it.

A friend of mine used his cell phone in Afghanistan before the phone ban, and the very same day, the Taliban phoned his house, and told his wife that they had kidnapped him, and would execute him.

It's one of the harshest punishments you can get now for being caught with a personal phone out there.

jackc
Nov 6, 2011, 03:21 PM
You might as well just use one of these:

http://www.thealuminumbriefcases.com/members/1397487/uploaded/pda250s.jpg

mrxak
Nov 6, 2011, 03:22 PM
I was thinking about picking one of these up, I do a fair bit of work on boats, dredging, trawling and drop-coring.

But its not waterproof. Pass. I'll just keep it naked in the inner pocket of my hoodie, under my waterproofs.

Check out the Life Proof (http://www.lifeproof.com/) cases then. Unlike this Case-Mate thing or some others tossed around in this topic, Life Proof cases can be fully submerged in water up to two meters. It's not ugly like all these others too ;).

If I can use mine in the shower every morning to listen to music and check my email, and people can go scuba diving with it, it'll probably meet your needs quite well on a boat. And again, quite low-profile for the protection. You won't feel like you're carrying around a tank.

julesw
Nov 7, 2011, 04:49 PM
does it have a tripod socket?

Le Buzz
Nov 8, 2011, 11:21 PM

EXACTLY. There might be construction workers, cops, firefighters, you name it that will want to protect their investment when out in the field. An iphone has more merits than just the aesthetics. Besides, the case is removable.

I can't believe how obtuse some of the posts are on this thread!