Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nilscollection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
The Netherlands
Hi everyone,

I got this old PowerMac G4 (PCI-graphics) and I'd like to use it as a game computer for my sisters kids. My idea was the following:

I have installed Mac OS X 10.3 Panther on it, and I have a Mac OS 9.2.2 CD.

If I go to SysPrefs > Classic and I choose the 9.2.2 disk (which is called Power Mac G4 install) to be the system folder, it says that Classic can't update files in the system folder, because it is read-only.

If I copy the system folder to the root of my Macintosh HD, and I select that one to boot Classic, it shows me the Mac OS 9.2 boot screen but it has a window on top of it that says 'The system software on the startup disk only functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive.'

I'd really like this computer for my cousins to play games on, so how do I solve this problem?

Attachments

• Afbeelding 1.jpg
    Afbeelding 1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 276

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
If you have another drive or partition you can use I would install OS9 on it then use that system folder the install creates. Transfer it to your OS X drive and then you can reformat the drive again unless you want to boot 9 directly without classic.

Nilscollection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
The Netherlands
@ Zen.state: I did partition the hard drive into two partitions, as you said - installed OS X on partition 1 and OS 9 on partition 2 - and now I can boot into OS X while running OS 9 apps. That's amazing, especially since OS X is much more easy-to-use than OS 9.

Thanks a lot! :D

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
i have the same problem except on Tiger 10.4.11 and with an iMac G4 1.25GHz which isn't able to boot natively into OS 9. so i don't think i can actually "install" it on a separate partition. i can't boot off the OS 9 disc and running the installer in Tiger just launches Classic (with the same error messages as the OP)

will it work if i just create a separate partition and drag & drop the system folder from the OS 9 disc?

also, when I installed Tiger the disk utility program gave me the option of installing OS 9 drivers. I said no, because I assumed this was only for booting into OS 9, which my iMac can't do anyway. does this option have anything to do with using Classic?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.