Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shazzledazzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
Hi,
can anyone help me identify whats up with my macbook and how serious a problem it is please?

My mac is generally working perfectly except every now and then when it goes into sleep mode I get some strange swirly colours which turn to dots which fade in and out all over the screen. As soon as I sweep the trackpad everything goes back to normal and it might not happen again for another few weeks. It would just be nice to know what it is that is causing it and if it is serious?

I managed to video it on my phone last time it happened. I have added a link to a clip I put on you tube showing what happens (I hope this is allowed). apologies for the poor quality, the light was bad. Let me know if the link doesn't work.

http://youtu.be/vsE8d72qXPw

pieterv

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
Belgium (Antwerp)
Looks like it's simply your screensaver man :)
Open the System Preferences application (you can find it on the apple menu top left of your screen) and go into screen saver settings. I think you're seeing the Arabesque screen saver, you can adjust the screen saver settings there if you want to.

To adjust when your mac goes into sleep mode go to the Energy Saver preference pane in the System Preferences ;)

shazzledazzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
Doh, how stupid do I feel lol. I have had this mac for 3 and a half years and only noticed that happening about 6 months ago, thats why I though something was up.

Thanks

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
No need to feel stupid.

I'm surprised that you've had the computer for 3 years and never noticed the screen saver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.