Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

porozit46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Dear friends, I need your help. I'm new to macs but I'm happy that my experience with macs starts from iMac G3! First off all sorry for my bad English - I'm from Ukraine, so please excuse me =)
I have the following problem: when I start my iMac G3 it does not load. It makes a sound like "tada..." (chime) and then display becomes grey (it is started but no text is showing). If I press and hold the button on the side with a pen (i do not know how this button is called) I receive the following screen:

eec68d7468c3e708e85ea919b1535fcd.jpg

Can please someone experienced person advise me what to do?

P.S. I have the CD inserted to the drive and I can not eject it. If I type "eject cd" in this menu it is thinking for a long time and does not do anything. My mac freezes. But if I type "eject abcd" for example it say that this is unknown command.

Thank you very much for your help!!

WGoins88

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
Well, I see the date is listed as 1904, meaning that the PRAM battery is most likely dead, which can cause odd problems. I would tell you to "Zap" the PRAM, but it won't help if the battery is dead or even missing.

The one button on the side is a reset button, and the other is a programmer's button, which will take you into Open Firmware, which is the screen you took a picture of.

Anyways,

Type "mac-boot" in (minus the quotation marks) and press return. If it goes to a folder flashing the Mac OS smiley face and a question mark, there is no OS (Operating System) on it, and one needs to be installed. If it boots into the OS, then I strongly recommend replacing the PRAM battery.

porozit46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Thank you for your advise, when I'm at home I will try it.
Can you please also advise me what to do with CD-ROM? I inserted the disk and now I cannot extract it.

porozit46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
I will try this advise also and will let you know the result by posting in this thread. Thank you very much!!

porozit46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Hello once again!
I have tried the advises and unfortunately none of them helped:
When I press and hold the left mouse button it does not eject the CD. I hear it spinning inside like a normal working CD (it fastens and slows down then fastens again. No scratchings, no stucks). I do not have the original MAC mouse so I connected the PC USB two-button mouse with a scroll. Hope it does not matter.
Also I do not have mac keyboard so I connected PC USB Keyboard, just a usual usb keyboard. Hope this does not matter too :)

When I type mac-boot it goes to the green screen and nothing happens later.
When I hold down the 'C' key on the keyboard it does not start loading from CD also. I can suppose that the CD is bad so I want to record a 100% working installation CD but first I need to eject the one that is in the CD-ROM already.

Please help! :(

porozit46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
By the way, when I type "eject cd" it starts thinking, I can't type anything... and then after 5 minutes it says: "can't OPEN the EJECT device"
and nothing happens after that, I can type the commands again.

porozit46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Guys, this can sound incredibly but I finally ejected it. You know how? I found a very small button on the face of the cd-rom and pushed it with a pen (it is not a pinhole it is a small button) and it ejected!! :)
Now I burned the new installation CD. Can you please advise me how I can start the installation?
Thank you.

How to eject cd in imac G3:
86bf7b7dadb2feb4520764ee8eeba83d.jpg

Last edited:

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
Guys, this can sound incredibly but I finally ejected it. You know how? I found a very small button on the face of the cd-rom and pushed it with a pen (it is not a pinhole it is a small button) and it ejected!! :)
Now I burned the new installation CD. Can you please advise me how I can start the installation?
Thank you.

to install the OS press and hold the C key after you hear the chime

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.