Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netrate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
I have an ipod touch, 2nd gen. When music is played, it comes out the speakers - even if the headphones are plugged in. I have tried to clean the connectors with rubbing alcohol/Qtip, but that didn't work. It seems to work fine, but this won't do for those quiet times - but more importantly, I want to use it with Skype or Fring. I need it to let me be able to have a private phone call! Maybe it is not recognizing that the headphones are plugged in or something, I am not sure. It has been dropped, so maybe that is the problem, but overall the ipod touch works fine.

Ok, so I heard about inline microphones and headsets. Is this something I can plug into the docking port that will have both headphone and microphone ports on it? Is those, that might solve my problem completely. Urls or links appreciated.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Hello,

had the same issue before my 2d gen iPod Touch was stolen.

Bad news, the repair is quite difficult to perform correctly. If your iPod was dropped, as mine was, even the slightly distorted case would prevent you to open it correctly, or close it properly. And the parts are really tightly packed inside.

More bad news, the repair I describe her may well do nothing for your device, I bet for microscopic reasons.

But, if you feel adventurous and have stellar soldering skills, order a new headphone jack from eBay, wait 3 weeks for delivery from Hong-Kong, then follow iFixit's guide to opening it. Solder the new jack in place, test the device before remounting. If it works, use caution, and much more time than you think reasonable to remount it. Be careful, the screen is much more fragile from the inside than the outside.

Your jack is the likely culprit.

netrate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply, but what about the inline controller instead? Could that be a work around?

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Could be, but that's not a replaceable piece. If you're desperate about your iPod performing its intended use as a music player and it's out of warranty, it's not as if you had much choice. iPod Touch is mostly built as a single board, so no repair without expenses, except for very few parts. Even Apple don't "repair" iPods Touch at the Genius Bar.

You could always play and prove me wrong, I'd like to know one documented story about a controller replacement!

netrate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
I am sorry, maybe I was saying it wrong - but isn't an inline controller something that connects to the touch dock? Like the MacCally Mic used to?

pavilm

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
Here are three workarounds

I had the Jack on mine replaced.....still didn't fix issues. anything docked with the Itouch plays music. Headphone jack barely has sound. I've tried everything I could find on the internet to fix it, no luck.

These items connect to the docking port and should work.

This one is a radio receiver/remote/headphone jack:
https://store.griffintechnology.com/navigate

Here is a similar one:

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Y-Cable/dp/B00340WMD6

This one is a timex watch that doubles as a remote: The reviews make it sound like the watchband is cheap and you can't get replacement ones......

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Unisex-T5K051-Ironman-iControl/product-reviews/B000VVYY78

There is also a bluetooth Dogtag like device that looked cool but 1g's don't have BT.

netrate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Thanks for the reply...
The Griffin looks great, but it doesn't mention that it has a MICROPHONE input on it. For me, that is the only way this will work.
The FiiO E1, also doesn't have a mic input.
Right now I really want this for VOIP, so just trying to figure out how to do that using the DOCKING input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.