PDA

View Full Version : Do the smart covers stick to the back very well?

Yr Blues
Nov 4, 2011, 11:04 PM
or do they flop around?

TM WAZZA
Nov 4, 2011, 11:08 PM
What do you mean it sticks to the back?

Yr Blues
Nov 4, 2011, 11:20 PM
What do you mean it sticks to the back?

when you fold it flat to the back, does it stick magnetically to the back securely?

jeremiah239
Nov 4, 2011, 11:22 PM
They do not stay held in place when opened, they sell cases that a magnetic strip to hold it open. I have one its made by Incase and works great.

Edit: here is a link to the one I have. http://goincase.com/products/detail/mag-snap-case-cl57969

TM WAZZA
Nov 4, 2011, 11:24 PM
when you fold it flat to the back, does it stick magnetically to the back securely?

No it doesn't.

Yr Blues
Nov 4, 2011, 11:28 PM
No it doesn't.

thanks for the info. that kind of stinks. oh well

glen e
Nov 4, 2011, 11:38 PM
no but this is way overblown - In 6 months I have no problem folding it in half behind it and it makes a satisfactory grip.

Mindy60
Nov 5, 2011, 12:59 PM
After hearing about all the problems people here have with the smart covers, I would never use one. I just received my Bear Motion case and has magnets that will enable/disable sleep just like the smart cover and it only cost me $35.99 and is made of leather. I got it off amazon and it only took 2 days to ship with free shipping! But I am still getting acquainted with it.

xwing-25
Nov 7, 2011, 03:02 AM
I have never had an issue with my smart cover. It does everything they say it does. I have noticed a difference in the poly one (i have the leather) where it doesn't seem as soft and flexable.

jsh1120
Nov 7, 2011, 07:59 AM
If you're not averse to a bit of DIY, there's a fairly simple solution to the "flop" problem with the SmartCover. Simply purchase a cheap "feeler gauge" at your local hardware or auto parts store. Take one of the very thin metal strips in the feeler gauge and glue it to the back of the case at the bottom where the SmartCover comes in contact when it is folded over. The metal strip will hold the SmartCover in place.

imotionb18
Nov 7, 2011, 08:06 AM
It doesn't bother me unless I am reading for a long while. I just take it off though.

jsh1120
Nov 7, 2011, 08:48 AM
It doesn't bother me unless I am reading for a long while. I just take it off though.

That's a good point. It's worth noting though that use of the SmartCover with the ZUM back protector or the use of any of the single piece screen+back cover eliminates the possibility of "taking it off." One of the features of the SmartCover I like is its easy detach-ability. But some folks find that to be a problem if they're prone to picking up the iPad by the cover.

I don't have that problem. But I also don't try to pick up my daughter by her hat, either. :)

madat42
Nov 7, 2011, 11:23 AM
Also, before flipping it around, fold the smart cover in half. This way when you hold it, at least with your left hand, it's not flopping around.

Dhelsdon
Nov 8, 2011, 08:45 PM
I love my Smart cover, so many uses. I don't know why people hate on it so much...

thedward
Nov 9, 2011, 01:03 PM
Incase makes a back case that has a magnet that grabs the smart cover when folded back and works great. The speck smartshell does as well but still doesnt hold all the time. I liked the incase better http://www.outfityours.com/incase-mag-snap-case-for-ipad-2-white/