Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
Probably my biggest disappointment with iOS 5 is that I still can't organise my home screen the way I want to. How hard can it be-I want to remove Contacts, Newsstand, Voice memos, Gamecenter, Stocks and Weather from my home screen. No I don't want to stick them in a folder as that still takes up 1 space on my home screen and looks plain weird with a load of Apple apps in. And I couldn't do that even if wanted as Newsstand is a folder itself and you can't put folders in folders! :eek:

But I can live with most of that frustration. What really really bugs me is the Contacts app. What is the point of having it? Surely even Apple can see that its function is duplicated by the Contacts tab of the Phone app?! :mad: :confused:

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
I put all the apps I don't want/use and can't remove in their own folder, on a page on it's own after the last page of apps I do want, I don't see it ever.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Probably my biggest disappointment with iOS 5 is that I still can't organise my home screen the way I want to. How hard can it be-I want to remove Contacts, Newsstand, Voice memos, Gamecenter, Stocks and Weather from my home screen. No I don't want to stick them in a folder as that still takes up 1 space on my home screen and looks plain weird with a load of Apple apps in. And I couldn't do that even if wanted as Newsstand is a folder itself and you can't put folders in folders! :eek:

But I can live with most of that frustration. What really really bugs me is the Contacts app. What is the point of having it? Surely even Apple can see that its function is duplicated by the Contacts tab of the Phone app?! :mad: :confused:

For the record, you can put Newsstand or any other folder into a folder. See here.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The contacts app may not be important to you but I am will to bet that it is used extensively by the majority of Iphone users. I certainly could not use the phone without it.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
The contacts app may not be important to you but I am will to bet that it is used extensively by the majority of Iphone users. I certainly could not use the phone without it.

What he's saying is that it's inside the Phone app, on the contacts tab.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I use my Contacts app extensively and never go into the phone to do so
Just move it to the last screen in a never used folder if you like
But many of us want it

You can move it
If it is removed, we can't use it

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
IMO, the Contacts app is there for consistency.

If you started with an iPod touch/iPad (where the Contacts app was the only real way to get to your contacts), the first time you use an iPhone, you may start by looking for the Contacts app there, until you notice it's also in the Phone app.

OP, I'm surprised iOS 5 on the iPhone splitting the one iTunes app into separate music/video apps (like the iPod touches have had for awhile) didn't make your list. :)

szolr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
I love it how somehow I've got a -3 rating on my initial starting comment I must say... :rolleyes:

You've never been able to remove Apple apps without jailbreaking anyways. What a stupid argument.

You think I don't know that? What a stupid post... ^ Doesn't mean I can't wish for it though right?

IMO, the Contacts app is there for consistency.

If you started with an iPod touch/iPad (where the Contacts app was the only real way to get to your contacts), the first time you use an iPhone, you may start by looking for the Contacts app there, until you notice it's also in the Phone app.

OP, I'm surprised iOS 5 on the iPhone splitting the one iTunes app into separate music/video apps (like the iPod touches have had for awhile) didn't make your list. :)

I did start with an iPod touch. I went through the first and second gen models before getting an iPhone. Frankly I preferred the iPod app on the iPhone instead of separate music and video. But iOS 5 killed that too. However there've been so many discussions about that already, I thought I'd not bother boring you with the same observation yet again. ;)

And if Apple were going for consistency, why not rebrand the iPod touch FaceTime app as a Phone app and merge it with Contacts? I'd love to see a consistent layout on all iOS devices (the iPod --> Music + Videos apps is a small price to pay), but I'm not so pleased when Apple pick and choose and invariably do so in a way that doesn't satisfy me.

I mean Apple could have called the iPod Messages app iMessage. But it's the same name as the iPhone's app. So why not do the same with FaceTime/Phone/Contacts? One app-Phone across all devices.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Why should I go to a "phone" to look up a birthday or a street address?

How does that make sense?

EDIT: To be clear, I agree with the initial point that you should be able to hide any of the Apple apps...but beating up on 'Contacts' seems like an odd way to complain about it.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Guys I really want to get rid of one of my Kidney's but I can't :mad: This is so dumb I don't even need two of them. I just want to get rid of one of my kidney's and a significant lobe of my liver but its STILL here?! This is probably the biggest disappointment of life.

waitlulwut?
I've got a -3 rating on my initial starting comment
You now have a -7 LOL. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean someone else won't. Seriously putting it in a folder and throwing it on the last screen never to be seen again isn't enough? :O

szolr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
Why should I go to a "phone" to look up a birthday or a street address?

How does that make sense?

EDIT: To be clear, I agree with the initial point that you should be able to hide any of the Apple apps...but beating up on 'Contacts' seems like an odd way to complain about it.

Does it really matter which app you use for something so long as it accomplishes what you want?..

And the Contacts app gets my vote as the punchbag because it's not a case of being able to remove it from just my devices. It seems more logical to remove it from iOS in general.

Clearly, though if people can't bear having to go into a Phone app to look up an address then it makes sense why Apple are on their current path. :roll eyes: Small comfort :rolleyes:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Does it really matter which app you use for something so long as it accomplishes what you want?..

Well then let's make it so you have to go to the weather app to send a text message.

Why not? As long as it accomplishes what I want then I can't complain about it being illogical!

szolr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
Well then let's make it so you have to go to the weather app to send a text message.

Why not? As long as it accomplishes what I want then I can't complain about it being illogical!

Did I say I'd have an objection to that? ;)

Anyway your analogy is hardly correct. The fact is that the contacts tab in the phone app = the contacts app. Period. No-one can deny that unless they turn the code inside out to prove me wrong. The weather app on the other hand does not already have the ability to send text messages.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Why don't you cry about this at apple.com/feedback? Surely you realize your complaints are falling on deaf ears. Or maybe you should recommend that in order to send feedback to Apple you have to launch Preview, scroll to a "Help" menu item, press V + B + Left Shift + F12 + Control + 3 and then send the form.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
Why don't you cry about this at apple.com/feedback? Surely you realize your complaints are falling on deaf ears. Or maybe you should recommend that in order to send feedback to Apple you have to launch Preview, scroll to a "Help" menu item, press V + B + Left Shift + F12 + Control + 3 and then send the form.

Do you respond to all such threads in that manner? ;) Oh fear not, I'm one step ahead on that score anyway.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
Instead of attacking szolr, why can't we just admit that people use their phones in different ways? I've probably only used the contacts app 2 or 3 times, and I've had an iPhone since the first launch day in 2007. For the way szolr and I use our phones, contacts is redundant. It's not a dumb argument, there does need to be a way to manage the Apple apps too. You can't honestly tell me "put them all in a folder and hide it on the last page" is the perfect solution can you?

Likewise szolr, apple.com/feedback is your friend. Complaining here will help you vent, but for true change let Apple hear your complaints. And also, unfortunately at this time, putting those apps in a folder is the best solution we have. That doesn't mean it has to stay that way - let Apple know you want a better method to manage the default apps.

This isn't rocket science - some people want the apps, some don't. Why can't there be a switch to hide/show built in apps, even if they can't be deleted? Then everybody wins.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
Instead of attacking szolr, why can't we just admit that people use their phones in different ways? I've probably only used the contacts app 2 or 3 times, and I've had an iPhone since the first launch day in 2007. For the way szolr and I use our phones, contacts is redundant. It's not a dumb argument, there does need to be a way to manage the Apple apps too. You can't honestly tell me "put them all in a folder and hide it on the last page" is the perfect solution can you?

Likewise szolr, apple.com/feedback is your friend. Complaining here will help you vent, but for true change let Apple hear your complaints. And also, unfortunately at this time, putting those apps in a folder is the best solution we have. That doesn't mean it has to stay that way - let Apple know you want a better method to manage the default apps.

This isn't rocket science - some people want the apps, some don't. Why can't there be a switch to hide/show built in apps, even if they can't be deleted? Then everybody wins.

I followed the feedback advice. :)

And this is the internet-I come on expecting to be mocked by some. It's either because I "think different" (oh, the irony), or where I wield power or because some just don't value others' opinions. That's life-and that's one thing I won't complain about. :cool: I'd be wasting my breath.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada

Wait, if you got rid of the contacts app, how would you message/tweet/contact anyone??!!?!!?!??!?!?!??

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
But still the question remains. Why can't WE have control of what apps are on are home screen...

No one is stopping you from using an Android phone. If you want to be part of the Apple ecosystem you play by their rules. If you do not like Apple's rules you as a consumer have the ability to choose by take your money elsewhere.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
No one is stopping you from using an Android phone. If you want to be part of the Apple ecosystem you play by their rules. If you do not like Apple's rules you as a consumer have the ability to choose by take your money elsewhere.

Wow why you have to play so rough! I've done android twice while owning iPhones. Still with the iPhone.

Play by their rules?

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/38357.html

Lol

saldawop

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2007
I hope the 4s is Jailbroken soon so I can hide Newsstand,Compass,Stocks,iTunes,Voice Memos,Weather...AND Contacts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.