Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcus2704

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2005
Im having a problem with Itunes which may effect whether I can use it or not, Id really like to so if anyone is able to help out with the following Id appreciate it.

I have a Windows server with a 200gb partition of MP3 files (I backed up my cd collection) which I want Itunes to use. I dont want to import anything to my Mac (impractical, not enough space),and want Itunes to look to my network share for the music it plays as its default directory.

I have pointed the ITunes music folder location to my Network share, but nothing appears in the Library, and assuming I can get them to, I guess Id lose everything when the share drops off when I put the Mac into sleep mode.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
marcus2704 said:
I have a Windows server with a 200gb partition of MP3 files (I backed up my cd collection) which I want Itunes to use. I dont want to import anything to my Mac (impractical, not enough space), and want Itunes to look to my network share for the music it plays as its default directory. Is this possible, or am I forced to use the local drive instead?
I think it is, as long as your mac can see the partition, you should just be able to drag them into iTunes. Then iTunes will ask if you want to copy the songs to the music folder, and you say no.

marcus2704

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2005
Thanks for the reply, sorry, I just reedited my post before I saw your reply.

So from what you say I would need to manually drag things from my network share into Itunes each time something is copied there? I was hoping it would simply display whatever is in that location. Also, I have a structure of -

Artist/Albums/Album Name/*.mp3

and

Artist/Tracks/Track Name/*.mp3

Im thinking that ITunes might want everything in the one directory, is that likely?

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
sorry, this isn't an answer to your question, but:

cant you just install itunes on the server 2k3 machine and then use the build in sharing? is there a reason you dont wanna do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.