Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
I think we can say it's a gimme that the next one will play 1080p video, have the most recent A chip, A5/A6 or whatever depending on when it comes out. I'd judge from reviews etc that the :apple:TV2 is more popular than the :apple:TV1. So if we assume Apple are to stick with the Airplay centric model and little internal storage:

1) Would having 16 GB over the current 8 GB memory make any difference to a user's experience?
2) Is it likely that we see a thunderbolt port added to the :apple:TV?
3) Is it likely we see Bluetooth 4.0 do you reckon? Because then we'd be able to use a wireless Apple keyboard with the TV which would be quite nice for typing.
4) Greater iCloud integration-Documents possible?
5) Gamecenter integration a possibility with an App Store on the interface? (Either using an iDevice as a remote or having a trackpad area and/or gyroscope built into the apple remote.)

Now wouldn't that be nice... :cool:

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I think we can say it's a gimme that the next one will play 1080p video, have the most recent A chip, A5/A6 or whatever depending on when it comes out. I'd judge from reviews etc that the :apple:TV2 is more popular than the :apple:TV1. So if we assume Apple are to stick with the Airplay centric model and little internal storage:

1) Would having 16 GB over the current 8 GB memory make any difference to a user's experience?
2) Is it likely that we see a thunderbolt port added to the :apple:TV?
3) Is it likely we see Bluetooth 4.0 do you reckon? Because then we'd be able to use a wireless Apple keyboard with the TV which would be quite nice for typing.
4) Greater iCloud integration-Documents possible?
5) Gamecenter integration a possibility with an App Store on the interface? (Either using an iDevice as a remote or having a trackpad area and/or gyroscope built into the apple remote.)

Now wouldn't that be nice... :cool:

1) Providing apple won't let developers make apps for it they will stick to 8gb as that is cheaper then 16 and in will not make a difference- unless if the movie you are watching is MORE than 8gb
2) I doubt we will see thunderbolt until iPods use it. There is not much use for it unless you plan on using it with a computer as a display which is pointless
3) Quite possible
4) iCloud- probably it would be cool if it could sync your spot in the movie to your computer so you could resume at the same spot. Documents I sort of doubt but quite possible as iCloud has that integrated
5) Possible but no chance of a trackpad.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
5) Possible but no chance of a trackpad.

Wouldn't a trackpad be cheaper to add than a gyroscope? Don't get me wrong-I'd prefer the gyro to the trackpad and both to just one. :)

It'd also be lovely if the next :apple:TV had a DVD player built in (Superdrive style :cool:) but I understand that'd go against Apple's strategy of getting us to digitalise all our media.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Given Apple's sudden discovery of wireless syncing - I wonder if the current/next A chip will finally have enough power to handle decoding a video stream and run an iTunes process in the background. Thus - the always-on ATV would be configured to know where all the media is (be it on a time-capsule, nas, laptop or icloud) so when you select a video, the ATV wakes up any device needed (Mac, time capsule etc) and handles everything. In addition it would handle syncing your iphone (again waking a mac or up/downloading from icloud) and your mac running iTunes would essentially become another client rather than the main server (although it could still function as a server if needed).

I think we'll see apps - even if it's only a limited number (such as catch-up services such as bbc iplayer etc) at first.

A really small thing that would be appreciated would be to swap out the optical toslink connector for a combined line/optical out like that seen on the mac range so people can use it as a true audio-only airplay solution without needing DACs.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
Thus - the always-on ATV would be configured to know where all the media is (be it on a time-capsule, nas, laptop or icloud) so when you select a video, the ATV wakes up any device needed (Mac, time capsule etc) and handles everything.

^ Would so love this. :D

niveko49

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
Evergreen, CO
AppleTV 3 Improvements

I have both Apple 1 and an Apple 2 TV. I think that the Apple 2 is better overall, but I do miss the storage. I have a video library that I would like to store. Currently, my Mac Book Pro stores this media with an external 1Tb HD, but I would like a solid state drive that could be included or connected with the Apple TV so I do not have my Mac Book Pro running at the same time in order to play a video. The faster A6 processor would be a welcome addition.

I would like to see the Apple TV to reach out to other media. I could easily see it compete with the cable and satellite providers and/or tie into the internet media. It could offer user-select video packages for AppleTV; making sure that I do not get saddled with 100 TV channels that I do not want because it was bundled that way. If your internet is transmitting over satellite or cable, it's very possible.

It should have 1080p technology and be capable of 5:1 surround sound, so it would really be a part of your entertainment system.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Apple better hurry up, it looks like Motorola is going after that market as well.

They already make cable boxes, and now this.

This thing comes with IR built in, so you can control all your devices.

It's nice that the competition finally woke up here, but Apple needs to do something here. They haven't done much at all in the last few years except make faster hardware with a little more capability.

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
i was impatient.......... and i went ahead and bought another ATV2 for my other HDTV :D

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
It'd also be lovely if the next :apple:TV had a DVD player built in

Pointless, that'd be a 6 year step backwards.

I don't know about you, but I haven't bought a DVD in at least 5 years, and those that I did I ripped and have on computer now.

With places like LoveFilm, etc doing on demand streaming to TVs and PS3, and iTunes doing steamed films, DVD is pretty much dead IMHO.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
It should have 1080p technology and be capable of 5:1 surround sound, so it would really be a part of your entertainment system.

You do know that it is currently capable of 5:1 don't you?

----------

4) iCloud- probably it would be cool if it could sync your spot in the movie to your computer so you could resume at the same spot.

It currently does this over the network if you are using Home Sharing.

If you are using Airplay then you place in the Movie is held by the iDevice and, I believe that is sent to the computer when you sync. Any iCloud syncing of play positions from your iPhone or iPad would be a feature of that device, not the Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.